The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

mark1000

New forest pony, these ponies are let out to graze across the New forest ( UK ) by people that have a right to graze there animals, the ponies are pretty much left to fend for themselves all year long, once a year there is a roundup and some of them are sold on, this keeps the numbers down to a manageable level.

G2 and 100-300 all exif is in the image.

Mark.

biglouis

Mark

Wow! Those are great captures. Far better than anything I have managed yet. I really do have to practise more with this lens. I am particularly struck by the detail in the picture of the sparrow. Can you inform us of the speed, aperture, fov and iso of these two captures?

Many thanks for posting

LouisB

mark1000

Mark

Wow! Those are great captures. Far better than anything I have managed yet. I really do have to practise more with this lens. I am particularly struck by the detail in the picture of the sparrow. Can you inform us of the speed, aperture, fov and iso of these two captures?

Many thanks for posting

LouisB
Thanks, i'm pleased you like them, the exif data is all embedded in the images, if you have a browser ex if reader plug in just right click over the image and select your plug in, i use a free one called Panda ex if reader, if you cant do that then i will get the data and edit my posts for you.

Mark.

Just realised you cant go back and edit, so here is the Sparrow exif data.

Make - Panasonic
Model - DMC-G2
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 240.00
YResolution - 240.00
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
DateTime - 2010:11:23 13:18:43
ExifOffset - 204
ExposureTime - 1/250 seconds
FNumber - 5.60
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2010:11:23 13:43:17
DateTimeDigitized - 2010:11:23 13:43:17
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/250 seconds
ApertureValue - F 5.60
ExposureBiasValue - -0.33
MaxApertureValue - F 5.60
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 300.00 mm
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 1957
ExifImageHeight - 1761
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
SceneType - A directly photographed image
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 0.00 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 600 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - High gain up
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - High
Sharpness - Normal

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 782
JpegIFByteCount - 4355

Last edited:

biglouis

Mark

Thanks for the tip on the exif reader. I downloaded and installed opanda exif and now I can see the exif data on your posts. I'm even more impressed that #2 was shot at f5.6 and iso400. But there is still one more question - were these hand-held or on a tripod?

LouisB

mark1000

Mark

Thanks for the tip on the exif reader. I downloaded and installed opanda exif and now I can see the exif data on your posts. I'm even more impressed that #2 was shot at f5.6 and iso400. But there is still one more question - were these hand-held or on a tripod?

LouisB
Hi, all hand held, i never use a tripod unless i'm shooting the moon, i just cant stand the hassle of carrying them.

Mark.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Our first test: GH2 at 50mph out of the window. The best vantage point is on Hwy 1 and there is no way to stop.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I like to have a light & compact lens with this reach (angle of view). I think the quality is good for what it is. Other larger and more heavy lenses would just not be in my bag all the time.

Shot on some distance from the outside through the window (below the window is water, Monterey Pier)

It is some fun to explore what a zoom with this range can do:

mark1000

This one is from the GH2 and 100-300 but using the new ETC zoom mode giving an EFL of 1183mm from the 300mm shot.

Should just mention that i only shoot in JPG too.

Fat Robin, UK variety.

Exif is in the image.

Mark.

CPWarner

Mark,

Great images. I should get my GH2 in today. Looking forward to seeing what it can do given the images you have been posting.

Cliff

biglouis

Mark

Apologies for questionning you further but you are clearly doing something right with this lens and I am not as far as bird pictures go. Do you have the OIS turned on at 300mm? I'm beginning to wonder if it is a help or a hindrance when hand held.

I am using GF-1 but I notice you are using a GH-2. Could there really be that much difference between the two sensors with respect to detail and sharpness?

LouisB

mark1000

Mark

Apologies for questionning you further but you are clearly doing something right with this lens and I am not as far as bird pictures go. Do you have the OIS turned on at 300mm? I'm beginning to wonder if it is a help or a hindrance when hand held.

I am using GF-1 but I notice you are using a GH-2. Could there really be that much difference between the two sensors with respect to detail and sharpness?

LouisB
Hi, yes OIS is on at all times, are you holding you GF1 out at arms length, if so that will amplify any movement from you 10 times, when i shoot with the GH2 i brace it firmly against my face and carefully control my breathing just before shooting.

Also don't forget these are resized and sharpened to my taste, so they look better than the OOC shots.

Mark.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>It is 'interesting' that the EXIF viewer shows this shot was from a Canon 5D.

this is Texture Blended and the bade image was 5D. The main shot is from the GH2 and 100-300mm lens.

biglouis

Hi, yes OIS is on at all times, are you holding you GF1 out at arms length, if so that will amplify any movement from you 10 times, when i shoot with the GH2 i brace it firmly against my face and carefully control my breathing just before shooting.

Also don't forget these are resized and sharpened to my taste, so they look better than the OOC shots.

Mark.
I'm not shooting at arms length :D

But I am probably also being too relaxed about posture and breathing which I think may also be important, if not critical. I also think I will try with my monopod to add some additional steadying.

I still think it may also be that the GH-2 has a better sensor with better resolution than the GF-1. I would be very happy to get the result you got of the Robin with approx GBP1300 of equipment versus double that for a N or C system and equivalent lens.

LouisB

mark1000

I'm not shooting at arms length :D

But I am probably also being too relaxed about posture and breathing which I think may also be important, if not critical. I also think I will try with my monopod to add some additional steadying.

I still think it may also be that the GH-2 has a better sensor with better resolution than the GF-1. I would be very happy to get the result you got of the Robin with approx GBP1300 of equipment versus double that for a N or C system and equivalent lens.

LouisB
One thing i didn't mention, and you already know this i'm sure, is shutter speed, OIS is ok but not that useful when your shooting a little bird twitching all over the place, i do try to get the best shutter speed i can at all times, well when i remember :D

Merry Christmas,

Mark.