The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

Rich M

Do not sell your 45 macro! I would not sell mine, to buy the 100-300. I would save up and also keep my eyes out for a second hand one at some point in the future. The 45 macro is way too good a lens!

LouisB
Louis.....that's EXACTLY what I say! The PL45 is a very special lens. There are a lot more long lens options.

R

Roel

Louis.....that's EXACTLY what I say! The PL45 is a very special lens. There are a lot more long lens options.

R
Thank you for talking me out of selling mine. I don't use it much, but when I do, the results are stellar.

So many lenses to own...

Diane B

Uwe, I enjoyed this a lot. I've only seen a Monarch migration once and it was really wonderful. A very large number covered a huge oak on our farm and then we saw them drift across the area during the next day. It would be really something to behold so many in one area. Thanks for sharing. And was glad to see the lens in use for video.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor

Glenn

Finally had a chance to try out my new 100-300 outdoors, after weeks of dull weather. Still not ideal light but these represent the kid of photos I like to take with a long zoom, all on a G1:

300mm

300mm

300mm

265mm

100mm

A

Apperloo

I am new to the site and fairly green in photography, at least with interchangeable lenses.
Resisted for years because the best camera is the one you have with you .....
I went thru the SLR days packing, or should i say leaving it behind, until the GF1 with the 20mm lens. Its always in my pocket when traveling.

in spring I ordered the 14-140 lens and have been very pleased on hikes etc, but sometimes missed those distant animal and bird shots.

Last November the 100-300 arrived, and I was very excited, but to be honest the last month has been difficult with this lens to say the least. If not for some of the shots here and on the photo-streams, would likely have given in already...

Sure there have been some acceptable shots, but in general not so good, which means lost opportunity's which would have turned out better by using the 140 and cropping.

Please keep posting and tagging your settings with the 100-300.
Hopefully preserverence wins out

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Apperloo,
Using a very long lens with a very small camera is tricky. It's not easy to hold it stable enough, and although OIS helps, long is still long. To be on the safe side, I would use shutter priority, minimum 1/500s with OIS and 1/1000s without. That means that you will often be shooting wide open and/or at relatively high ISO, but there really is no such thing as a free lunch. Remember that, at the longest end, that lens is 600mm eqv. Only ten years ago, that kind of focal length was more or less unheard of in the amateur world.

Correct technique is also important, and since the GF1 doesn't have a proper grip, you must have a relatively firm grip around the lens to keep it stable.

Hope this helps, at least a little bit.

Terry

Welcome to the forum!

I think the 100-300 lens is going to be tough on the GF1 and especially hard if you are using it without a viewfinder. At that long focal length you really need to be using a fast shutter speed and good technique to not get camera shake. If you try and rest the camera on something or use a tripod are you getting good results?