The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

biglouis

Fat Robin on Wall

At last, a half-decent (not full-decent) shot a full zoom with the 100-300. Unfortunately, to get the speed I needed to set iso to 1250 which introduces so much noise it does tend to destroy the resolution.

But I am at least encouraged by the feather detail and if the expected sun does appear over the next couple of days I may even be able to lower the iso and still maintain the aperture speeds necessary to get sharper results.

Last edited:

Rich M

Louis -

That shot at 1250 looks pretty clean to me.....and sharp. A bit more sun will definitely help (ISO and shutter speed)....but I would say that it's a keeper.

R

biglouis

Definitely worth waiting for some sunshine and the ability to use a much slower iso - these were at iso400 and 320 respectively, both at 1/200 ... oh and spot metering as well. All on GF-1.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe, you and Mark are definitely demonstrating how to get the best out of this lens.

LouisB
Thanks. This lens is clearly much better than a heavy and large lens that I would not want to use :) (let alone the price, I have to wait till I can afford a Sherpa :) ).

Internaut

Re: First post here......

And I'd like to say that never has a post on an internet forum had me so interested in a lens........ The only limiting factor for me would be that I perhaps don't shoot long enough, often enough to justify the price (my Olympus 40-150 gets used a few times a year at most and I'm generally happy with the results plus rarely need to shoot longer). I find the bokeh from the Panasonic lens very attractive and imagine the OIS would be useful on my E-PL1.

Rich M

Glenn -

Nice kitten shot.....handheld at 1/15.

I have heard comments that the OIS doesn't make that big a difference at 300mm.

What do you think? ;)

R

biglouis

Glenn -

What do you think? ;)

R
Interesting to see it work here. I'm unconvinced so far when usuing OIS with the lens and it even states in the manual it may be of little use.

I do like the bokeh on this lens which is an unexpected bonus.

LouisB

Glenn

Glenn -

What do you think? ;)

R
The OIS isn't perfect but it does help a bit, I read somewhere that using Mode 2 works better with this lens but I haven't had a chance to try it yet as it's so dull here just now.

biglouis

The OIS isn't perfect but it does help a bit, I read somewhere that using Mode 2 works better with this lens but I haven't had a chance to try it yet as it's so dull here just now.
I'm a bit confused as to what my viewfinder is telling me when I have the OIS switched on with this lens. The green 'shaking hand' appears but when I press down on the shutter button to focus and meter, the hand invariably turns from green to red. I assume this indicates that for some reason the OIS cannot cope?

LouisB

Glenn

I'm a bit confused as to what my viewfinder is telling me when I have the OIS switched on with this lens. The green 'shaking hand' appears but when I press down on the shutter button to focus and meter, the hand invariably turns from green to red. I assume this indicates that for some reason the OIS cannot cope?

LouisB
I can't get mine to do that (on a G1). However in certain conditions the green hand turns to a shaking red camera. Does the aperture and shutter speed also flash red in the bottom of your viewfinder? If so, it might suggest that at the settings being used, the camera and not just the OIS, is not able to produce a good image.