The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

biglouis

This was a grab shot - and is straight out of the camera, only resized in CS3 (no additional sharpening).

GF-1 100-300 1/160 f5.6 iso400 286mm

Diane B

+$ for $, the Panasonic is the best for me today. I am finally committed to the M4/3 system.

+1

Don't forget: Weight by weight and size by size
I can't find the post where you say you are going to try m4/3 for all shooting but am interested in following your thoughts on it since you work with so many systems. I will have to make some decision at some point to move from my FF Canon gear and though I have quite a bit of m4/3 gear, native and legacy lenses and accessories, 2 bodies, I guess I'm trying to make the decision to move to GH2 or wait. If I do, that will probably be where I leave the Canon world %>). I also am interested in doing some video and actually understand what I'm doing there LOL. So far the 100-300 hasn't been on my radar but now I'm paying more attention.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor
>going to try m4/3 for all shooting but am interested in following your thoughts on it since you work with so many systems.

2011 will tell. So far I am quite happy. But also that I plan to use an AF100 for video (comes hopefully this week) gives m4/3 a center role.

B

boyzo

This was a grab shot - and is straight out of the camera, only resized in CS3 (no additional sharpening).

GF-1 100-300 1/160 f5.6 iso400 286mm

Wow thats a great shot Lois and with the GF1 a somewhat ungainly pair ;)

This shot just pops sharp too

I'm wondering about this lens now (current 45-200 owner)

B

boyzo

I am very impressed too by these comparisons!

I am still arguing for myself to further go with M43 or NEX. The NEX hight still have a certain advantage at higher ISO, but if I compare the complete "package" I can get today with the GH2 and the much broader selection of lenses, then the M43 seems to become the winner.
I would got m43 Oly and Pany have great lenses in m43 now not to Mention D series Leica Panasonic or the HG SHG from Oly these 43 lenses are some of the best lenses ever made

Doubt the NEX will ever have the lens selection sure you can use adapters and legacy lenses but who wants that not me.

biglouis

Wow thats a great shot Lois and with the GF1 a somewhat ungainly pair ;)

This shot just pops sharp too

I'm wondering about this lens now (current 45-200 owner)
Thanks, Boyzo, that is what I thought which is why I posted it as is. Amazing for what was nothing more than a p&s shot!

LouisB

Rich M

Went out to the jump zone this afternoon....I wanted to become more familiar with this lens on the GH2 with moving targets.

I tried a number of various sized single focusing points vs. multiple and AF-C vs AF-S. These are AF-S, single shot, single focus point, +2/3EV @ 300mm, handheld (of course). I didn't get many keepers w/ AF-C.....even when I went the "spray and pray" approach. Possibly this was due to the random (or actually less predictive) motion of the parachutists.

I am also finding that the stiff (not smooth) zoom ring is loosening up nicely over time.

300mm

200mm

R

S

sagarmatha

I myself find Panasonic colors excellent. Very subtile and realistic. Much better compared to Canon or Nikon - but I know this is very subjective ;)
Peter, do you always shoot raw or have you found a good setting in the camera för jpeg?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I myself find Panasonic colors excellent. Very subtile and realistic. Much better compared to Canon or Nikon - but I know this is very subjective ;)
Agree 100%. This is one of the things that makes me prefer the GH1 over the Nikons: real life colours, not unlike what I get with Fuji DSLRs. I can understand why many people like strong, bold colours, but most of the time, the world doesn't look like that, and it's easily obtainable with Photoshop anyway when needed.

biglouis

I don't get the "colour" problem either. I would be very surprised if Panasonic had not benefitted from their association with Leica in terms of lens design and performance and I'm sure we are getting the benefit of it.

LouisB

Rich M

I don't get the "colour" problem either. I would be very surprised if Panasonic had not benefitted from their association with Leica in terms of lens design and performance and I'm sure we are getting the benefit of it.

LouisB
I don't get it either.....I find I do LESS (if ever any..) color adjustment on the Panasonic RAW files than I do on my Canon 5D2 files. I am forever tweaking those.

R

daveproctor

Guys

I'm very interested in one of these but would need to sell my 45mm macro to fund it so reluctant to do it without getting some feedback on the 100-300

I have a GH2 with a 14-140, Olympus 9-18 and the Leica 45mm macro

I use the 14-140 for probably 75% of my pictures and the 9-18 for most of the others. The Leica gets very little use as I don't really shoot much macro at all.

The only area I don't really have covered is the long focal lengths which has got me thinking about the 100-300. I have previously owned a 45-200 but didn't think much to the image quality (although it was ok for the price) so I'm hoping the 100-200 is better.

The 14-140 is great but I do find it a little soft towards the longer end

biglouis

Guys

I'm very interested in one of these but would need to sell my 45mm macro to fund it so reluctant to do it without getting some feedback on the 100-300
Do not sell your 45 macro! I would not sell mine, to buy the 100-300. I would save up and also keep my eyes out for a second hand one at some point in the future. The 45 macro is way too good a lens!

LouisB