The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

Matix

Re: Focusing Fun with Panasonic 100-300

I have had the same issues in poor light and poor contrast situations, i think the GH2 will expand the focus area until it can lock focus on something even if its not your intended subject, of course i'm probably completely wrong, lol.

Mark.
You may well be correct Mark, although I was having problems getting a lock on this Crested Pigeon, and the contrast and lighting was good. The second image of the Galah also gave the lens conniptions. I got the shots eventually, but missed some of the ones I really wanted because of that issue.

Phil

Crested Pigeon - GH2, f/5.8 @ 140 mm, 1/500, ISO 160

Galah - GH2, f/8 @ 140 mm, 1/1000, ISO 400

Glenn

Nice photos Phil. I bought a bird feeder last week hoping to attract robins and blue tits, this was my first customer:

mark1000

You may well be correct Mark, although I was having problems getting a lock on this Crested Pigeon, and the contrast and lighting was good. The second image of the Galah also gave the lens conniptions. I got the shots eventually, but missed some of the ones I really wanted because of that issue.

Phil
Phil, one thing i do in a situation where the lens refuses to focus on my subject is to pull the zoom back to a wider FL and re focus then zoom back in on my subject and focus again, this works 99% of the time, but takes a second or two to do it.

Nice photos Phil. I bought a bird feeder last week hoping to attract robins and blue tits, this was my first customer:
Glenn, you need to add some fat pellets to your bird seed to attract Tits and Robins, they love it.

Mark.

mark1000

Had a great day out at a place called Blashford lakes, there are several bird hides set up around the woods.

GH2 and 100-300

This one is with ETC @ 1183mm EFL

Mark.

Glenn

Glenn, you need to add some fat pellets to your bird seed to attract Tits and Robins, they love it.
Thanks, I have those on the feeder too, a couple of blue tits have appeared but are too quick for me in this dull weather.

Diane B

You all inspired me to check out the EZ mode on the G1/GF1 today. Not a good day outside so had to shoot from inside, through windows and lower light so higher ISO but was still pretty amazed. I'm not a bird shooter, per se, but def. a bird watcher/lover so lots of feeders within sight and when the weather gets better, 20 acres of our own to roam. We have a nice diversity of birds and small wildlife so this gives me a whole different path to try this summer. I'm using the 45-200 and am not sure if I'll go for the other lens but who knows if I get really enthused about birding.

I had dled the GH2 manual today and read about the ETC and remembered that the earlier bodies had the capability but called EZ. In over two years of shooting with the G1 I had never tried it. So--I pulled up the G1 manual on my Ipad and found the instructions. Best bird photos I've ever shot and I Will definitely do more of it.

I think I'm going to choose the GH2 for my upgrade but had decided I wanted to wait until the G3 announcement before deciding. I may be sorry I'm waiting to try and find one under the circumstances but sooner or later I'll get the upgrade body I want.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Diane

mark1000

Thanks, I have those on the feeder too, a couple of blue tits have appeared but are too quick for me in this dull weather.
What i did was to only put fat pellets in one place, i hollowed out the top of an old log, then sat and waited with the camera trained on the bait, it soon payed off.

Like this.

Mark, super stuff. Must read up on how to use ETC mode on the camera.

LouisB
ETC offers up so many more opportunities, for still and video, give it a go.

You all inspired me to check out the EZ mode on the G1/GF1 today. Not a good day outside so had to shoot from inside, through windows and lower light so higher ISO but was still pretty amazed. I'm not a bird shooter, per se, but def. a bird watcher/lover so lots of feeders within sight and when the weather gets better, 20 acres of our own to roam. We have a nice diversity of birds and small wildlife so this gives me a whole different path to try this summer. I'm using the 45-200 and am not sure if I'll go for the other lens but who knows if I get really enthused about birding.

I had dled the GH2 manual today and read about the ETC and remembered that the earlier bodies had the capability but called EZ. In over two years of shooting with the G1 I had never tried it. So--I pulled up the G1 manual on my Ipad and found the instructions. Best bird photos I've ever shot and I Will definitely do more of it.

I think I'm going to choose the GH2 for my upgrade but had decided I wanted to wait until the G3 announcement before deciding. I may be sorry I'm waiting to try and find one under the circumstances but sooner or later I'll get the upgrade body I want.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Diane
Looking forward to your bird shots, Diane.

Mark... really nice work... good to know the ETC technique as well!
Thanks, appreciate the comment.

Mark.

Diane B

Nice shot Mark. You have interesting birds we don't have and I'm enjoying seeing your really lovely shots.

Diane

mark1000

Nice shot Mark. You have interesting birds we don't have and I'm enjoying seeing your really lovely shots.

Diane
Thanks, we have a saying over here in the UK," the grass is always greener over the other side " and you have the Cardinals i wish we had here, lol.

Mark.

Matix

Phil, one thing i do in a situation where the lens refuses to focus on my subject is to pull the zoom back to a wider FL and re focus then zoom back in on my subject and focus again, this works 99% of the time, but takes a second or two to do it.

Mark.
Thanks Mark, I will try that, good tip.

Phil

Matix

Phil, couple of great captures!

LouisB
Thanks Louis, for the price the Lumix 100-300mm is a fine lens...just have to learn it's strengths and weaknesses. I do not know why folk complain about the price so much. Comparing it with others I have/had for the Nikon and Pentax it is a really good deal.

Phil

MRfanny

I was at the Melbourne Gran Prix over the weekend and really wished i had this lens. It is now in the basket =)

P

Pierre

I am simply blown away by the crispness of the lens. Being an amateur and just having purchased the newer 100-300 mm lens as well as the original 14-145 that came with my GH1, I was wondering how you got your bird shots so crisp and in focus? I do not seem to have had the good fortune that you do in aquiring that to my photos yet. Any advice would be appreciated.
Below is my favorite shot of the Eiffel tower I recently took at while on vacation in Paris.
Thanks for your help .
Pierre