The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

mark1000

I really do love the GH2 ETC mode.

The shot below was shot through 2 separate double glazing units spaced about 10 ft apart, shot from my kitchen out through my conservatory.

GH2 and 100-300 ETC S mode @1400mm EFL.

EXIF intact.

Mark.

mark1000

Visited the New Forest, in the south of England.

GH2 and 100-300.

Resized for the web and PP in LR3

And an ETC shot @ 1400mm EFL

Mark.

Knorp

Hi there,

I've been following this thread for quite some time now and I'm impressed by the results of this lens. In particular I find the bird shots here just stunning.

Late December last year I bought the lens but I'm just starting to properly use it on my G1 now the weather is improving.
One question: do you think image quality will be better when using a GH2 ?

This morning I found this bird of prey, what I think is a buzzard, dozing in a tree.

Thank you and kind regards.

mark1000

Whatever the species, its a great shot, with regard to whether you would get better with the GH2, i think the main improvement will be ISO and fast AF, i have a GH2 and G2 and the G2 stand up pretty good in good light and low ISO, even the AF on the G2 is almost as fast as the GH2, but its the GH2 that has the 100-300 on the end of it.

Mark.

DHart

Nice crisp image and really cool-looking bird, Knorp. Was this hand held/unsupported or? Focal length? Shutter speed and aperture? Sorry for all the questions... just wanting to get it all sorted in my head.

Knorp

Whatever the species, its a great shot, with regard to whether you would get better with the GH2, i think the main improvement will be ISO and fast AF, i have a GH2 and G2 and the G2 stand up pretty good in good light and low ISO, even the AF on the G2 is almost as fast as the GH2, but its the GH2 that has the 100-300 on the end of it.

Mark.
Thanks Mark for explaining that, perhaps I'd better give the GH2 a try then.
One thing is for sure, I love working with the 100-300.

Kind regards.

Knorp

Nice crisp image and really cool-looking bird, Knorp. Was this hand held/unsupported or? Focal length? Shutter speed and aperture? Sorry for all the questions... just wanting to get it all sorted in my head.
Hi there Don,

thank you for your reply.
Yes, these were hand held and the EXIF information is in the pictures, but in case you can't get to it, here it is:

1st photo:
Camera: Panasonic DMC-G1
Lens: 300 mm
Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/800 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100
Flash: Off, Did not fire
Date: April 21, 2011 11:01:32AM
Software: Capture One 6 Macintosh
File: 1,200 × 1,200 JPEG (1.4 megapixels, , 0.45 megabytes) Image compression: 89%​

2nd photo:
Camera: Panasonic DMC-G1
Lens: 246 mm
Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/2,000 sec, f/8, ISO 400
Flash: Off, Did not fire
Date: April 21, 2011 11:05:00AM
Software: Capture One 6 Macintosh
File: 1,200 × 1,200 JPEG (1.4 megapixels, , 0.51 megabytes) Image compression: 88%​

All the best.

Knorp

Another reason I like the 100-300 is the ability to get rather small and shy subjects well framed while keeping a 'safe' distance.

Kind regards.

Michiel Schierbeek

Great butterfly, Bart. I am from Mokum too. :D
BTW I just switched from the G1 to the GH2. For me the big improvement is the one push magnification for MF lenses. And I like the touch focus on the screen too. Did not check out the quality in lowlight yet.

Michiel

N

nzmacro

Another reason I like the 100-300 is the ability to get rather small and shy subjects well framed while keeping a 'safe' distance.

Kind regards.
Just stunningly superb !!. Top work to get a top result. Congrats :)

Danny.

ustein

Contributing Editor
No crop.

Then I used this photo as a texture with another 100-300 photo for blending. The chick is partially under the hen I got the feather photo from.

Knorp

Thanks Don.

Wow!, you were only @ 177mm, how much cropping did you do to this image.

Mark.
No cropping here at all, Mark !
Must have been a tame butterfly, I guess ... :p

Superb shot, Bart !
Congrats,

Rafael
Thanks Rafael.

Great butterfly, Bart. I am from Mokum too. :D
BTW I just switched from the G1 to the GH2. For me the big improvement is the one push magnification for MF lenses. And I like the touch focus on the screen too. Did not check out the quality in lowlight yet.
Michiel
Thanks Michiel, yes we've met before at LUF.
Don't tell me you bought your GH2 this morning from Henk Booms, did you ?
Checked their site, GH2 in stock all looking fine, jumped in the car, drove for 15 minutes and guess what: it was just been sold ... grrr :angry:
Well it must be an omen for sure, or so I like to believe.
Perhaps I better stick to my G1 and wait for the GH3 ... :D

What I like about the GH2 is that it has no annoying little wheel in front of the grip: drives me crazy. But I hoped also for better image quality over the G1, but so far no one mentioned that as a plus.

Just stunningly superb !!. Top work to get a top result. Congrats :)
Danny.
Danny, thanks a lot

Knorp and Uwe - stunning shots

LouisB
Thank you, Louis.

All the very best.