The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

Glenn

Glenn

I agree with the others that the first Red Arrows shot is phenomenal. But I also like the two recent sparrow shots: lovely detail.

LouisB
Thanks Louis, I'm finding that the GH2 and 100-300 gives great results in ETC mode, presumably because you don't have to use the lens at full stretch where it gets softer.

A

Apperloo

Couple of little finches I snagged a couple of days ago.
About 290mm

biglouis

Thanks Louis, I'm finding that the GH2 and 100-300 gives great results in ETC mode, presumably because you don't have to use the lens at full stretch where it gets softer.
Glen

I know I should RTFM but I really can't work out how to turn on ETC mode. Does it work with RAW?

Louis

Matix

Glen

I know I should RTFM but I really can't work out how to turn on ETC mode. Does it work with RAW?

Louis
Ah, I had the same problem.. seems you can only get this to show if using less than full resolution in image size. It is inactive when the Large is selected, Medium and Small sizes will allow the selection. Not sure if it will work in RAW, have only played with it in JPG.

Phil

Glenn

Glen

Louis
Hi Louis

ETC only works on jpg. In the Q Menu, select jpg, then go to Menu Set and in the REC sub menu, go to page 4 and select ETC on, then go back to Q Menu, go to the aspect ratio selection and scroll down, there you will see some extra selections prefixed EX and at the bottom of the screen there is a description of the aspect ratio and the megapixel count.

Knorp

Great shots every one (Glenn, Ron, Louis) :thumbup:

A couple of weeks ago I've lent my G1 and 100-300 to my brother.
Still waiting to get it back :D

Now I'm thinking of upgrading my 100-300 ... :toocool:
What would be a good option: G3 or GH2 ? Or wait a little for a future GH3 ?

Thanks and all the very best.

Knorp

If you absolutely have to go with just one ... I'd say the GH2 is better for shooting with the 100-300, but I like using the G3 too.
Hey Ron,

LOL - so you're suggesting I should get both ? Mmm, don't know about that.
Terry - just back from safari - had the 100-300 mounted to her GH2, because she found the G3 not providing a firm grip and frankly, I can see her point here.
But what about IQ ?

Kind regards.

RonSmith

It's always good to have a back-up or to have different lenses at the ready.

The GH2 definitely affords a better grip and is also quicker to make changes in focusing mode, etc. The IQ actually seems pretty comparable, though I haven't done any objective testing. Both are better than my other bodies (G1 and GF1).

When I'm walking through a park, I might have my 100-300 on the GH2 and either the 45 Macro or the 7-14 on the G3. Inevitably, when I'm walking around with anything other than the 100-300 mounted, I run into something that demands it immediately.

biglouis

Glenn - great big bird shots. Demonstrates the power and versatility of the 100-300 perfectly

LouisB

PS Is that Luton?

Knorp

It's always good to have a back-up or to have different lenses at the ready.

The GH2 definitely affords a better grip and is also quicker to make changes in focusing mode, etc. The IQ actually seems pretty comparable, though I haven't done any objective testing. Both are better than my other bodies (G1 and GF1).

When I'm walking through a park, I might have my 100-300 on the GH2 and either the 45 Macro or the 7-14 on the G3. Inevitably, when I'm walking around with anything other than the 100-300 mounted, I run into something that demands it immediately.
Thank you Ron, while biding my time for the GH3, for now I'll have a look at the G3 ;)

Kind regards.