The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

biglouis

Pascal

I suspect that nearly all of us here are shooting in RAW and then processing in something like Lightroom or similar RAW processors. In fact I find the Panasonic RAW always a touch too unsharpened and noisy so I tend to spend most of my energy sharpening and reducing noise. Then I finish off in Photoshop for final curves adjustment and on occasion more exotic processing in layers to capture as much detail and 'pop' in the picture as I can before resizing for web.

The 100-300 is imho one of the best value lenses of all m43rds lenses. It has its flaws but its reach is enormous and stopped down it is very sharp.

LouisB

biglouis

Although I took this in late July I was fairly certain these were recently fledged Starlings. Either way they were very hungry and spent a lot of time 'attacking' the fat balls I had in a feeder in my garden.

Skridlovian

I've bought this lens for casual wildlife shots on my OMD. Small, relatively light, awful zoom creep (infuriating - how difficult would a lock switch be?) bad CA (inevitably as it's an m43 lens: so I shoot RAW, pp in LR4) soft as hell at the full 300mm and very hard to get a hand held sharp shot even with IBIS at this length. But what else can you get to carry around easily at the price and FL range? However I will say that I'll never again complain about my (since sold Sigma) 150-500 which is a far better lens, stopped down a bit, though with poorer stabilisation.
I was going to insert an example at 300mm but no direct upload...

Roy

Knorp

I've bought this lens for casual wildlife shots on my OMD. Small, relatively light, awful zoom creep (infuriating - how difficult would a lock switch be?) bad CA (inevitably as it's an m43 lens: so I shoot RAW, pp in LR4) soft as hell at the full 300mm and very hard to get a hand held sharp shot even with IBIS at this length. But what else can you get to carry around easily at the price and FL range? However I will say that I'll never again complain about my (since sold Sigma) 150-500 which is a far better lens, stopped down a bit, though with poorer stabilisation.

Roy
Hi there Roy,

I'm sorry for your unfortunate experience with this lens that many regard as a fine tool providing excellent results.
Anyway, perhaps you like the Oly 75-300 better ?

For posting photos you need something like flickr or pbase or a web drive.

All the best.

biglouis

Roy
Roy

I can't agree that it is "soft as hell" at 300mm. I suggest you return yours and try another copy. My results even at f5.6 have been very good and if I am unhappy I find that I can sharpen up raw images to taste in LR.

The lens image stabilisation is worthless below 1/125 in my experience unless you are using a tripod.

LouisB