The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

jnewell

This may be of interest to some using this lens...I long ago replaced the factory tripod collars on my Nikon 80-200/2.8 and 300/4 with much more stable, low-profile collars from Burzynski, so when I bought a Panasonic 100-300mm zoom for a trip to the UK last summer I looked around and a couple of references to the collar made by Rösch Feinmechanik. Time was short, however, so I put the search off until a future time.

I recently decided that now was the time, so I emailed the maker to inquire about availability and final cost delivered to the US. The result was that, 74 Euros (about US$100) and nine days later I had the tripod collar on my desk. :thumbup: I haven't had time to use it yet, but I wanted to let people here know that this collar is available and looks very promising.

The specs from the website (translation courtesy of Bing):

-black anodized high-strength aluminium alloy
-simple Assembly without tools
-ergonomic captive screw
-high stability with lens-friendly clamping
-Weight only 70 g
-two tripod holes for balance
-small size, can remain this way permanently on the lens
-Using the lens hood in both directions possible
-vertical and horizontal application without limiting the switch

My observations so far: This is very well made - comparable to the Burzynski collars in all respects other than not using a Delrin ring inside the collar. As the instructions that come with the collar note, if you rotate the lens in the collar to shift from landscape to portrait with any frequency you may notice rub marks on the lens barrel finish.

The collar is available in two versions, one of which has an Acra-compatible foot as well as the two 1/4" standard tripod holes on the other version. (Both collar versions apparently cost the same.)

In informal indoor use, I've found the collar very easy to use, both hand-held and on a tripod. Its low profile not only helps rigidity but makes it easy to cradle in the left hand. Access to the zoom ring is affected slightly, but I found the Panasonic accessory zoom lever (which I had on the lens previously) still works well for zoom control after attaching the collar. Furthermore, the lens fits into the Panasonic lens bag, and into my shoulder bag, easily with the collar attached, and adds very little bulk.

So far, this seems like a highly useful addition to a lens which really benefits from a stable mount, and the cost and shipping time seemed very reasonable to me. There are some quick pictures below...pardon the dust! ;) (For the record, I should state that I have absolutely no connection with the maker of this collar other than being the buyer (at full price + shipping) of this collar, and have not received any compensation or consideration of any kind. :)

Braeside

Contrast detection AF is not considered suitable for fast action!

Otters are renowned for being both elusive and very fast movers!

OM-D with Pana 100-300 using IBIS and handheld at 300mm (600mm equiv.)

Dave those are excellent!

I have been trying to find some otters locally these past couple of days. The little blighters have eluded me totally, though I just missed a pair yesterday according another photographer I met while I was out. Apparently they were playing by the river and would have still been there when I arrived, had not a dog walker spooked them.

I also have been trying to see and photograph a Kingfisher that is in the same area. I did see one today travelling at high speed down the river, just a flash of blue, I was so startled and amazed that I never even put the camera to my eye.

This good weather has brought out a lot of wildlife photographers, quite a lot of Nikon guys with 300mm/2.8 plus TC, who probably sniggered at my OM-D plus 100-300 panasonic. It was hard to hear the woodpecker drumming on the tree above the noise from their shutter bursts.;)

Dave, how did your OM-D gear work out on your recent fabulous trip?

Cheers

dhsimmonds

Hi Dave

I struck lucky with the otters! I so often come back after a wildlife searching trip with nothing at all, so it was my day for a change!

Interestingly, although a bright dry day there was just a very thin veil of high level cloud nicely diffusing the sunlight, so perfect for wildlife photography.

The OM-D is a great little camera and the 100-300 perfect for it. I did use C-AF+TR to get these skittish animals though. I used a low FPS as the OM-D tends to blur images when using these settings if shooting jpeg+raw at higher FPS. I must get into the habit of just shooting RAW now that I know the camera better! :rolleyes:

I still have my A77 and 70-400 but it almost never get's used since getting my OM-D's (yes, I have two!). On another trip shooting macro subjects, the OM-D beat the A77 + 100/F2.8 macro into a cocked hat!

The day I get some successful BIF (birds in flight) shots with the OM-Ds will be the day I sell the Sony gear!

Holiday was great with a nice lightweight compact camera bag, even if it did still hold two OM-D bodies, 5 lenses FL600 flash and the usual filters, cards and spare batteries! That is real freedom after the DSLR gear!

Braeside

Thanks for that Dave, glad you had a great holiday. BTW I have ordered that OM-D book you recommended, it should be here today.

I sold all of my Sony DSLR gear including most of the big expensive lenses when I got the Fuji X-Pro 1 and the OM-D. I am enjoying them both immensely. Actually that has reminded me, I still have some Sony lenses (135mm/1.8 and 16mm fish eye) on sale at Ffordes , must check how they are doing.

I don't do any +serious+ wildlife photography, so lack of fast tracking AF hasn't been a huge loss for me so far, and as you say the compactness of the kit is wonderful.

I still shoot RAW+JPG and was not aware of any problems with it at high frame rates.

Cheers

Dr. Brad

Here's a shot of a Northern Pintail taken recently at the Reifel Bird Sanctuary in British Columbia. Taken at 300mm, 1/1300, f9, ISO 320 with a GH2.

Not the most beautiful bird in the world, but I kind of like them....

Northern Pintail by bjeast, on Flickr

Dr. Brad

Here's a picture I took yesterday of a Great Blue Heron preening. It was shot at 300mm, f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 400, using a GH2.

It was late in the afternoon and the heron was very cooperative. It allowed three of us to get within ten feet of it while it preened and snacked. I'm not quite sure what to make of the lighting. The sun was getting pretty low and the bird was well lit, but not the background. Despite how the picture looks, I didn't use a fill flash....

Great Blue Heron Preening by bjeast, on Flickr

Dr. Brad

And, the last heron for a while - GH2, 1/1300, ƒ/7.1, ISO 1250, 300 mm. The light was a bit flat, but again, the bird let me get closer to him than usual. Could have been because he was trying to have nap!

Dr. Brad

Hope I don't get punted off the forum for constantly posting pictures of the same kinds of subjects, but here's a picture I took today of a blue and gold Macaw! They are lovely birds!

150mm, ƒ4.5, ISO 1250, 1/400. Using my usual GH2.

P1160090 - Version 2 by bjeast, on Flickr

Last edited:

biglouis

It is amazing how the weather in the UK has turned around in just a few days. On Tuesday I was photographing snow and today I was photographing birds in my backgarden in brilliant sunshine.

Female house sparrow

Mail house sparrow

Knorp

It is amazing how the weather in the UK has turned around in just a few days. On Tuesday I was photographing snow and today I was photographing birds in my backgarden in brilliant sunshine.

Female house sparrow

Mail house sparrow
Louis, you surely have some interesting sparrows in your backgarden ... :D :D :D

All the best.

Dr. Brad

Here's a picture I took recently of a seagull squawking at the humans (and other birds, I suppose) nearby! Seagulls can be annoying, but I do find them interesting. And they are great fliers....

1/1600, ƒ/5.6, ISO 160, 300 mm, GH2

Seagull Calling by BJ East, on Flickr

biglouis

Despite professing to have abandoned m43rds I nevertheless have kept my GH-2 and 100-300 for exactly this type of work.