The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider Kreuznach and C Mount recommendation

pflower

I have just removed an old Schneider-Kreuznach 1.8 6-66mm lens off an old Beaulieu Super 8 camera.

Anyone got any experience of this lens? I would expect some vignetting but possibly it is useable on a m4/3rds system?

I also need a recommendation for a C mount adapter so I could use it on a GF1 or GH2 there appear to be a bewildering number of variations of this on ebay - can anyone recommend one that works and in particular focuses to infinity?

Thanks

Godfrey

I have just removed an old Schneider-Kreuznach 1.8 6-66mm lens off an old Beaulieu Super 8 camera.

Anyone got any experience of this lens? I would expect some vignetting but possibly it is useable on a m4/3rds system?

I also need a recommendation for a C mount adapter so I could use it on a GF1 or GH2 there appear to be a bewildering number of variations of this on ebay - can anyone recommend one that works and in particular focuses to infinity?

Thanks
8mm and Super 8mm movie cameras often used D-mount lenses, which have too short a register to use on Micro-FourThirds.

If it is a C-mount lens (I remember my old Beaulieu 4008ZMII very fondly ... it had a C-mount lens flange) whether it can be used on Micro-FourThirds depends on how well it can be fitted to an adapter.

The C-mount adapters I've used have come from sellers "jinfinance" and "hawks_factory" on Ebay. The latter allows a lens which has a base flange up to about 36mm diameter to be fitted without modification. Anything with a larger diameter base flange has to be modified; some lenses cannot be made to fit very easily.

How much of the format an 11:1 zoom lens intended for Super 8 format will cover is hard to say, but if you can adapt it it will be fun anyway. :)

pflower

8mm and Super 8mm movie cameras often used D-mount lenses, which have too short a register to use on Micro-FourThirds.

If it is a C-mount lens (I remember my old Beaulieu 4008ZMII very fondly ... it had a C-mount lens flange) whether it can be used on Micro-FourThirds depends on how well it can be fitted to an adapter.

The C-mount adapters I've used have come from sellers "jinfinance" and "hawks_factory" on Ebay. The latter allows a lens which has a base flange up to about 36mm diameter to be fitted without modification. Anything with a larger diameter base flange has to be modified; some lenses cannot be made to fit very easily.

How much of the format an 11:1 zoom lens intended for Super 8 format will cover is hard to say, but if you can adapt it it will be fun anyway. :)
I am not an expert on lens mounts but it seems to be a C mount - the diameter of the flange is about 25.5mm which I understand to be the right size whereas a wikipedia article suggests that a D mount is about 15.88mm. I also saw an article on flickr about the Hawks Factory adapter and this lens. So I have ordered one. If it fits, it should indeed be fun.

Thanks

kevin

I have the same lens, and it's a C-mount. I remember trying it out on my 16mm Bolex, and while it covered the larger frame at the telephoto end, it vignetted badly at the wide end. Still fun to play with, though!

apicius9

I tried finding infos on these and sensor coverage but was not very successful. From the few things I found, I concluded that the vignetting in normal format on the wide side should be so strong that it is pointless. However, the question I did not get answered: How does it look when using the 2x EZ mode - or then on the GH2 the teleconversion for video. As a reasonably small and fast 24-264mm lens for video it would become really interesting again... Has anybody tried that?

Stefan

pflower

It's designed to cover the Super-8 frame, which is about the size of a pinky nail. :)
Right you are. I tried it on my GH2 and all I got was a circular image the size of my nail. So for anyone who is interested - it doesn't work.

However I now have a very nicely engineered C mount adapter from Hawks Peng and nothing to do with it. Anyone got any suggestions as to sources of lenses to try out in London?

Thanks

S

seb33

Right you are. I tried it on my GH2 and all I got was a circular image the size of my nail. So for anyone who is interested - it doesn't work.

However I now have a very nicely engineered C mount adapter from Hawks Peng and nothing to do with it. Anyone got any suggestions as to sources of lenses to try out in London?

Thanks
Come to watch my vimeo, you will have a lot of test with C mount on GH1 :)

http://vimeo.com/sebfarges

Q

qwerty123

I too have this lens. It's a beauty. With the 2.6x ETC mode... it ALMOST covers the entire frame, but it stills has some vignetting. The focus feels a bit off as well--not sure it gets infinity (but will double check). The c-mount adapter I have is some generic type (not Hawks), and I'm wondering if getting a different one won't make a difference. Any suggestions? Is there any alternatives for getting ride of the vignette, without cropping in post? Here's a pic: