The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus M4/3 to go pro

clay stewart

Thats what the rumor site said anyway. Then, there is a lens road map, but curiously no fast 85 1.4 equivalent portrait lens. I never heard of a pro system, without a fast portrait lens( f 2 or 2.8 macros don't count). Maybe the 4/3 and M4/3 system just can't make a fast portrait lens due to the sensor size. They really need a 1.0 lens, due to the D.O.F. increase from the smaller sensor, but 1.4 would help. I wonder why then can make a 25 1.4, but not a 40-45 1.4:confused:

clay stewart

Looking back over Olympus Zuiko history, I guess I never realized that they never made anything faster than a 85 and 90 2.0 for portraits. So I guess a pro system can get by without a 1.4 portrait lens, so I stand corrected. However, I still think with the increased DOF of the small sensor, a faster lens is needed.

jonoslack

Hi Clay
If you look back over Zuiko digital history, I think you'll see that they've never made anything faster than an f2 period.
I don't think the original telecentricity 'rules' really allowed for it (everyone else has cheated).
all the best

clay stewart

Hi Clay
If you look back over Zuiko digital history, I think you'll see that they've never made anything faster than an f2 period.
I don't think the original telecentricity 'rules' really allowed for it (everyone else has cheated).
all the best
Hi Jono. I guess I wouldn't mind them cheating, if Panasonic can make the 20 1.7 work pretty good, then I say, bring on a 40 1.2 and cheat like hell.:ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You can always use the Voigtländer 50mm f/1.1 with an adapter. Manual focus and slighty longer than a 85mm equivalent, but it's really excellent, and much cheaper than the current crop of fast 85mm lenses from the major manufacturers.

I've been wondering why we haven't seen a "pro" m43 camera from Olympus already. One reason may be that there are no lenses to match, neither zooms nor primes. We might see a launch of a camera and 3-4 lenses at the same time. Only a "pro" camera with no new lenses would be meaningless for those not wanting to use legacy lenses with adapters.

clay stewart

You can always use the Voigtländer 50mm f/1.1 with an adapter. Manual focus and slighty longer than a 85mm equivalent, but it's really excellent, and much cheaper than the current crop of fast 85mm lenses from the major manufacturers.

I've been wondering why we haven't seen a "pro" m43 camera from Olympus already. One reason may be that there are no lenses to match, neither zooms nor primes. We might see a launch of a camera and 3-4 lenses at the same time. Only a "pro" camera with no new lenses would be meaningless for those not wanting to use legacy lenses with adapters.
Hi Jorgen. I don't know what it is about a 100 mm focal length, but I had the 100 2.0 when I had the 5D and just couldn't grow to like it. I much prefer to be a little closer to the subject, so 75 to 85 is what I prefer. I see a lot of people use MF 50's with M 4/3, but doing manual focus and using a 100 mm equivalent is sort of a double negative for me.

R

raymondluo

I'm excited for a pro-bodied olympus, I have the GH-1 and in good time and reasonable discounts that will be IR-modded for B&W. I hope to own an olympus for two main reasons; they produce excellent jpegs images and built-in image stabilization will add up nicely to my incoming voigt 0.95.

I'm hoping it's going to be weather proofed/ or at least resistant, it's what olympus is great for- which means for once I will be able to hold a m4/3 camera with confidence.

But if they still maintain an external plug-in EVF, that's almost a deal breaker. Once upon a time I had a E-P2 but wasn't very happy with it at all. I kept fumbling with it, the EVF was such a turn off. Whether they maintain it's compact size won't matter much to me. Mirrorless cameras are compact enough that it's tethering on bad ergonomics.