The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the GH2

slau

During the short time I shot with the GH2 (actually side-by-side with my GH1), I felt that the GH2's AF is definitely more precise and faster, and consequently I ended up with more keepers of stills with the GH2. The sensor of the GH2 is capable to capture more details probably due to its denser pixel density and the new sensor technology. The ISO performance is better but is only slightly better to my eyes, definitely not 2-3 stops better. If you think you can compare the ISO performance of the GH2 to DSLR, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. The Panasonic sensor is not there YET.

I cannot really notice too much difference in video quality when comparing similar footage with my GH2 and hacked GH1. However, it is really nice to see the audio monitor bar on the GH2 LCD when I use an external mike. Personally, I think it is a good upgrade for ME.

apicius9

Season's Greetings combined with my first outing with the GH2. And among a felt 12,000 people, I was the only one with a monopod... Pics from Honolulu Christmas lights. GH2 + Angenieux 25/0.95 at 1.3 or 2.0. Lens is a bit too unsharp at 0.95, but starts to produce nice pictures at 1.3. Some processing in LR, mostly contrast.

P1000608 by mgapicius

Stefan

Amin

Received my GH2 yesterday thanks to Robert (monza). Very pleased with it so far. My dad turned 71 yesterday:

ISO 1600, 45mm, f/2.8, 1/100s, LR3

Amin

Thanks, Uwe. I was very pleased to see that banding is a non-issue (at least for still photography) with the GH2. Here's an ISO 3200 shot where the OOF couch would have shown obvious banding with my GH1:

Another one at ISO 3200:

Both of those were processed in LR3 with '0' luminance NR, default color NR, and default sharpening.

clay stewart

Hi Amin, I'm also finding some astonishing improvements with my GH2, over my GH1. I can get some decent looking results at ISO12800 in decent light, but in low light, it seems best suited for B&W conversions. I really like the new grain structure though(tight). Both of these are ISO 12800.

Last edited:

Amin

Clay, very nice - you've inspired me to try my hand at ISO 12,800. Willbe back soon...

sinwen

Thanks, Uwe. I was very pleased to see that banding is a non-issue (at least for still photography) with the GH2. Here's an ISO 3200 shot where the OOF couch would have shown obvious banding with my GH1:

Another one at ISO 3200:

Both of those were processed in LR3 with '0' luminance NR, default color NR, and default sharpening.
Would you mind to tell us which lens was used ?
Thanks

Amin

Okay, just as a test, I took two snaps of my wife sitting in front of a small TV in an otherwise totally dark room. Both were at f/0.95 and ISO 12,800. The first was 1/25s and second 1/15s, so there's probably some handshake going on. Converted in LR3 with default NR/sharpening.

[Images removed per spouse request]

There's a touch of banding here, but at ISO 12,800 and underexposed, I'm not mad about it.

Last edited:

clay stewart

Well, Amin, the first one looks pretty good. I think if you get a little light on the subject, it can be useable. The grain, when converted to B&W, sort of reminds me of the GRD, which I kind of liked at ISO 400.

sinwen

Amin

Actually from what I saw a bit everywhere, I wasn't very pleased with the IQ. As more pictures coming like yours, I am getting reassured of what this camera is able to produce.
So thank for your pictures, keep sending pls.

Michel

R

ryaaannnn

Here's a couple from last weekend

Panasonic GH2 + Oly FL-36R; 20mm f/1.7 and Oly 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The results look pretty appealing so far.

Could anyone comment on the EVF (compared to the EP2 EVF)? Better, equal, less good?

Thanks

Peter

fortynine

Happy New Year Everyone !

I was browsing thru the GH2 pics on this thread. The ISO 1600 and above shot looks to have very pleasing film-like grain. Anybody care to comment ?

Rich M

Uwe....a nice series of photos. I particularly like this one:

The last group you took were all shot with the 14-140mm. I also notice that Michael R over at Luminous-Landscape has been posting his most recent shots with that lens.

I find that this is one of my more underutilized lenses. Is one of your deciding factors the economy of having a single lens covering a fairly wide focal length range for stills or the fact that you can interlace video and stills (and cover both bases)?

Just curious as to your thoughts on that lens with the GH2.

Regards.....R

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Happy New Year Everyone !

I was browsing thru the GH2 pics on this thread. The ISO 1600 and above shot looks to have very pleasing film-like grain. Anybody care to comment ?
This is a shot in my office with GH2 and 14-140 at 140 and ISO3200. Shot in RAW and converted to JPEG in LR3.3 - no noise reduction.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Just curious as to your thoughts on that lens with the GH2.

In the past I did not use too slow lenses. But having usable higher ISO and small camera made me re-think.

Good daylight street lens and also essential for video.