The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CV 50.1.1 vs. 1.5

biglouis

Did anybody do side by side comparison of output at same apertures? Thank you!
No, but I have owned both. I kept the Nokton 1.5 over the 1.1 if that tells you anything. I liked the 1.1 but my copy was awfully soft wide open and I gradually began to resent that fact. My Nokton 1.5 is also soft wide open (to be expected, btw) but its performance at f2 and above is just spectacular (as is the 1.1) but at a much lower cost.

LouisB

Jonas

But how soft is "soft wide open" Louis?

I have a CV50/1.5. When comparing it, the resolution in this case, to a Zeiss Contax Planar 50/1.7 they are nearly impossible to tell apart. The Planar 50/1.7 is generally considered to be very sharp wide open.

/Jonas

ZoranC

No, but I have owned both. I kept the Nokton 1.5 over the 1.1 if that tells you anything. I liked the 1.1 but my copy was awfully soft wide open and I gradually began to resent that fact. My Nokton 1.5 is also soft wide open (to be expected, btw) but its performance at f2 and above is just spectacular (as is the 1.1) but at a much lower cost.

LouisB
Louis, thank you for your vauable input. How they compared when 1.1 was at 1.4 and 1.5 was at 1.5? What about same but at 1.8? Was performance past 2 identical, where one could not be able to tell them apart, or there was still some difference and if yes where? Thank you again!