The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which lens adapter would be the second one to buy?

biglouis

I currently have a M-adapter for my Pansasonic GF-1. Question is, if I was considering supporting other 3rd party lenses, what should be my second adapter?

LouisB

f6cvalkyrie

Hi, Louis,

I would think that you should choose first, which lens manufacturer you want to consider next. The adapter is only second to that decision !

Personally, I built my lens stock around well known manufacturers that have their products readily available at good prices : Nikon in the first place, but also Konica and Leica (I'm trying to get the Hektor series complete, as some kind of hobby of mine ;)). You'll find ample supply of these on the evilbay ...

Also, try and stay with only a few lens manufacturers, or the adapter cost will become important ...

I hope this helps,
Rafael

biglouis

Rafael

Thanks for the response and the advice. I guess what I was asking was which 3rd party set of lenses would members recommend which in turn drives the type of adapter.

Just a thought

Louis

seakayaker

I currently have a M-adapter for my Pansasonic GF-1. Question is, if I was considering supporting other 3rd party lenses, what should be my second adapter?

LouisB
. . . . . a natural would be the LTM adaptor for the older screw mount Leica/Leitz/Voigtlander and other LTM lenses. The adaptor I purchased was a Voigtlander adaptor for $59.00 (new), but you can find these used and from other manufactures that are less expensive.

With the 'M' and 'LTM' (which fits to the M) you have a lot of new and old lenses to choose from to work with your GF1!

. . . . . also love the Carl Zeiss Contax G lenses, the adaptors run > $100.00 . . . . .

Sample photos taken with the GF1 with various lens/adaptors by going to the Flickr link below.

Godfrey

Rafael

Thanks for the response and the advice. I guess what I was asking was which 3rd party set of lenses would members recommend which in turn drives the type of adapter.

Just a thought

Louis
Drive the other direction. Pick which specific lenses you want to use and buy adapters for them, don't pick which mount you want to adapt and then buy lenses in that mount. Ideally, you want an adapter for each lens so you change lenses by using the standard Micro-FourThirds lens mount. It's much more convenient and practical to use adapted lenses that way.

Shooting with the G1, every lens in my bag has an adapter fitted so I can just swap lenses normally, without having to remember or decide which lens, which adapter, etc. The only exception is the FourThirds to Micro-FourThirds adapter, because when I have that on the camera I carry only FourThirds SLR lenses.

(I should use past tense as I have sold the G1 now... )

What lenses to be interested in ...?

- the Olympus Pen F lenses work brilliantly on Micro-FourThirds
- the Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8 is one of my favorites
- the Cosina/Voigtländer 75mm f/2.5 is one that I wanted to try
- the Nikkor 20mm f/3.5 AI was a delight
- the Nikkor 105/2.5AI was also a delight
- an Olympus OM Zuiko 40mm f/2 would have been wonderful if I could have found one that didn't cost a ridiculous amount of money.

There are too many good choices. (But I still have an Olympus Pen F 70mm f/2 for sale ... ! ;-)

Jonas

Drive the other direction. (...)
Exactly the way I was thinking, and still think. Limiting one self to one brand seems just boring. If the reason for this is to save another 20-50 currency units on an adapter it maybe even be considered stupid.
Now I have a lot of adapters... :)
But, I also have some distinct favourite lenses and they all have their own adapter (and different ones as it turned out).

There are too many good choices. (But I still have an Olympus Pen F 70mm f/2 for sale ... ! ;-)
;)
And I have a like new CV 75/2.5 if you need better performance... But, there are always lenses for sale, no panic. Take your time and figure out what focal length you need, how big the lens is allowed to be, if some special feature is needed (macro, APO, AF, speed...), what the maximum price is to keep you within your budget and then go look for samples from possible lenses.

/Jonas

f6cvalkyrie

it maybe even be considered stupid.
Jonas
Jonas,

I would have thought that this was a friendly forum. Read the question and my post, before you call it 'stupid'

Louis explicitely asked for a "second" adapter.
And I gave the advice "try and stay with only a few lens manufacturers"

I will not further post in this thread

Rafael

Jonas

Jonas,

I would have thought that this was a friendly forum. Read the question and my post, before you call it 'stupid'

Louis explicitely asked for a "second" adapter.
And I gave the advice "try and stay with only a few lens manufacturers"

I will not further post in this thread

Rafael
Rafael,

Oh boy, it seems as I have done it again. OK. I'm sorry Rafael. I really am, it was not my intention to hurt you. I should have learned by now to phrase myself in a more humble way.

I remember having called an image underexposed (none of yours, not your thread) and the OP took offense and everybody got angry with me. I came to think about that since we have a similar situation here. Should I have said that "mentally locking oneself into one manufacturer may not be the wisest move one can make", or something like that instead?

Thing is that the image in question was underexposed and had a nasty color cast to it, just as I don't think it is clever to decide for an adapter before deciding what lens one is interested in. And I should have phrased my opinion in another way, I know.

Now you won't post more in this thread so I can only hope you believe me when I say it was nothing personal against you.

kind regards,

/Jonas

biglouis

Thanks for all the advice. I must admit I had in mind the possibility of obtaining and using some of the Leica R glass which is now, imho, ridiculously cheap. In particular I have been looking at the 180/3.4 and wondering how it would work on my GF-1.

So, I think it does make sense to possibly choose lenses and then buy adapters.

LouisB

Jonas

Thanks for all the advice. I must admit I had in mind the possibility of obtaining and using some of the Leica R glass which is now, imho, ridiculously cheap. In particular I have been looking at the 180/3.4 and wondering how it would work on my GF-1.
The Leica APO-Telyt-R 180/3.4 is a wonderful lens working very well with µ4/3 cameras. It's a bit slow with a sweet spot at f/5.6 and f/8 but the optical qualities are very much alive after all these years. (The pano in post 17 in your Panorama thread was taken with this lens)

I have no idea on the going prices.

It will of course more be like "...how the GF-1 will work on the lens"...

/Jonas

ggibson

I chose C-mount adapted lenses. Not too pricey and small too. 25mm lenses will vignette a little bit (more as you stop down) and longer focal lengths will cover the full sensor. Fun trying to find deals on these.