The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pushing the G's

Tesselator

I think you misunderstand me - I quite agree about believing in yourself - and as far as I'm concerned, it's the kit I want to use. What I meant is that you can get funny looks from the guests with their great big Canons even with my kit - I can't imagine what it would be like with a couple of G2s over your shoulder!

Mind you - I don't ever use any noise reduction software for wedding shots - I think it makes it take too long to be feasible. IMHO you need a good DAM, a good procedure and get the shots right in camera.
Oh, I see what you're saying. Your reply to f6cvalkyrie clued me in. :)

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Especially if it's some high profile type wedding. But common folk get married too. I think I charged like $500 to $600 for a wedding back when I was going to school. And then prints beyond the his & hers set were separate. Of course that was a looooooog time ago but... The weddings were at friends houses, small community churches, public parks, or in someone's backyard - I shot one at Temple Square tho. ;) Usually there were between 20 and 50 guests if you count the kids. Usually no one else had an SLR - certainly not at the ceremony anyway. I could book 3 to 6 of those a week during vacation. I was assuming the OP was performing or considering performing a similar caliber of service. I mean if it's high profile I guess he's not going to be asking about Panasonic cameras... ;) This assumption is why I misunderstood your post as well.

The question is, would a photographer be credible today if they showed up with a Nikon FM2? Or is substantial camera mass (and a doctor's certificate attesting to having completed a double hernia operation) the price of admission for acceptance by a client?
I think it depends on your reputation, your salesmanship, and your portfolio. If your portfolio and rep are good you can get the customers. And we all know you can sell people on just abut anything if your salesmanship (marketing) is on game. Heck, people are now paying more for tap water than they do gasoline and no one complains a bit about it. ;) Someone is an awfully good salesman! Of course if you're shooting high-profile gigs costing your customers thousands and thousands then rigging and "presence" is important too so the Panasonics in that case are for sure better left at home - capable or not!

Last edited:

biglouis

Peter

After following the discussion it reminded me of Terry Richardson who promotes himself as only using a cheap Yashica p&s for his fashion photography (not sure if this is strictly true).

He also seems to get a bevvy of pretty girls to work with him so perhaps there are benefits to working exclusively with kit like the G series?

Advisory: if you are offended by pretty things in bathing suits, do not watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8i3VETLflk

LouisB

jonoslack

Oh, I see what you're saying. Your reply to f6cvalkyrie clued me in. :)

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Especially if it's some high profile type wedding. But common folk get married too. I think I charged like $500 to $600 for a wedding back when I was going to school. And then prints beyond the his & hers set were separate. Of course that was a looooooog time ago but... The weddings were at friends houses, small community churches, public parks, or in someone's backyard - I shot one at Temple Square tho. ;) Usually there were between 20 and 50 guests if you count the kids. Usually no one else had an SLR - certainly not at the ceremony anyway. I could book 3 to 6 of those a week during vacation. I was assuming the OP was performing or considering performing a similar caliber of service. I mean if it's high profile I guess he's not going to be asking about Panasonic cameras... ;) This assumption is why I misunderstood your post as well.
I see what you mean, but I think you'd find now that time changes everything, nowadays everyone and their dog have dSLR cameras, and it might be that it was actually easier to get away with a G2 at a smart wedding (anti-snob - see Louis' post above) . . . . . as long as it wasn't ONLY a G2!

Tesselator

Yeah, probably true. And also that Youtube is mostly (completely?) BS (stunt?) too. I know Terry and he must have a million dollars of high-end gear!

peterb

Peter

After following the discussion it reminded me of Terry Richardson who promotes himself as only using a cheap Yashica p&s for his fashion photography (not sure if this is strictly true).

He also seems to get a bevvy of pretty girls to work with him so perhaps there are benefits to working exclusively with kit like the G series?

Advisory: if you are offended by pretty things in bathing suits, do not watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8i3VETLflk

LouisB
Louis, believe it or not I'd actually seen that video before! Perhaps I should figure out a way to fashion a digital sensor on the back of an oatmeal box with a pinhole at the other end.

pellicle

It's nothing to do with whether it will 'do the job' . It's about whether the client believes you've 'done the job'.
nayer a truer word said

especially when so many clients seem to not know much about stuff. Uncle bobs dark shots "can be fixed in post" (to look ****e) while your images which were bang on each time will be regarded as having been touched up professionally (cos they do that) with hours of loving attention to detail.