The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-PL2 Leak?

ggibson

Kind of like the GF2, it's not a huge upgrade over what's out there now. There are only marginal improvements. With the same sensor, I doubt noise performance will be markedly better.

The earlier rumor that this February release would include an Olympus pancake is a bit more interesting. I wonder if they have a revision of the 17mm or if their wide angle pancake is coming.

The Penpal seems like a fun little accessory (with limited market appeal of course), although I wonder how my phone will like working with 15MB RAW files before uploading to flickr?!? Maybe RAW+JPG shooting will be required...

pcb_dpi

No Longer A Leak

No longer a leak, the EPL2 was officially announced pre-CES:

http://dpreview.com/news/1101/11010622olympusepl2.asp

Sounds like the same sensor, not sure about image processing engine, looks like a few usability improvements and maybe image quality tweaks?

*Bigger, higher-res screen (2.7"/260k>3.0"/460k)
*Return of control wheel to back panel, from EP1/EP2
*Increases high-iso setting to 6400 (any noise reduction tweaks?)
*Interesting new accessories
*Sleeker design
*LiveGuide II??

Seems a bit nicer than the EPL1, hard to tell if it's a compelling upgrade without knowing whether image quality is any better.

ggibson

Compare jpg results here:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl2/page6.asp

Seems like they fixed a lot of the little complaints about the E-PL1, which is a nice change. Not really any improvement in the way of actual results from the sensor, which is to be expected. Each camera using this 12MP sensor seems to have a slightly different take on how filtering and noise-reduction is applied, so pick your horse. I haven't seen results that say one is superior to any other.

I'm still curious about this one, since it has the underwater housing though. :)

Terry

I agree with DPReview and others that they added wrong control dial to the back. The vertical silver one on the E-P1/2 is much less fiddly to use. Even that one would be better with the push in dual control of the G's. That being said there are some real improvements in the E-PL2.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think the improvements on the EPL2 are very small indeed. Meanwhile I am thinking that Oly is not allowed to use the new 18(16)MP sensor - like used in the GH2 - so they are relying on the 12MP sensor. Which in my eyes is really outdated today for newly launched cameras.

I use the GH2 since a few days and what really blows me away is that sensor!

retow

Does anybody know whether it has E5 image processor? This alone would be reason to buy it, despite the old sensor.