The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

Martin S

I might be interested in purchasing a Panasonic m 4/3 Fisheye lens. I have used the Canon version before and liked the results, as long as I don't use this lens for too many shots since the fisheye effect can become tiresome.

Any experience with the Panasonic version???? It seems rather $$$ for such a specialized lens.

Thanks.

Martin

biglouis

I might be interested in purchasing a Panasonic m 4/3 Fisheye lens. I have used the Canon version before and liked the results, as long as I don't use this lens for too many shots since the fisheye effect can become tiresome.

Any experience with the Panasonic version???? It seems rather $$$ for such a specialized lens.

Thanks.

Martin
No, but I would ask the supplemental question: what's it for, when the 7-14 is a similar price.

LouisB

photoSmart42

I don't. Never understood the appeal of fisheye lenses myself. They're kinda neat for a few shots, but I imagine the appeal wears out after a while. Certainly not worth the asking price for this lens IMO. I suspect they're not meant for the US audience.

biglouis

Well, it would be a different animal from the 7-14 as the 8mm is a fisheye, and not a rectilinear lens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens

Cliff
Thanks for the reference. I suppose my question was more along the lines of, what gives a wider field of view, a 8mm fisheye or the 7mm setting on my 7-14? If it is the 7mm setting then why would one want a 8mm fisheye - apart from, say, the slightly smaller size compared to the 7-14?

LouisB

photoSmart42

Thanks for the reference. I suppose my question was more along the lines of, what gives a wider field of view, a 8mm fisheye or the 7mm setting on my 7-14? If it is the 7mm setting then why would one want a 8mm fisheye - apart from, say, the slightly smaller size compared to the 7-14?

LouisB
FOV comparison:
Panasonic Ultra Wide Angle Rectilinear 7-14mm: 114 deg @ 7mm
Panasonic Diagonal Fisheye 8mm: 180 deg

Martin S

If the fish eye view becomes too tiresome, by using it in too many images, there is software to reduce/remove the fish eye look but still keep the extreme wide angle view. So in essence, the lens would be to provide an even wider wide angle lens view than the 7-14mm, and still look more like a conventional wide angle lens.

A really wide, wide angle lens.

Martin

mediumcool

If the fish eye view becomes too tiresome, by using it in too many images, there is software to reduce/remove the fish eye look but still keep the extreme wide angle view. So in essence, the lens would be to provide an even wider wide angle lens view than the 7-14mm, and still look more like a conventional wide angle lens.

A really wide, wide angle lens.

Martin
Corners will be crap, however. Edges/corners of fisheye lens images are very distorted and not especially sharp to start with; “squaring-up software” merely emphasises this.

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

If you find the original Panasonic 8mm too expensive (like I), then you might opt for a fisheye 0.25 focal length multiplier.
Gives very nice fisheye effect when mounted on the 14-45 kit lens.
Here's a few examples with the kitlens @ 14mm

Have a nice day,
Rafael

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Have anybody tried the Samyang 8mm fisheye on 4/3 or m4/3? It's designed for APS-C, so there should be a lot of "fish" left, and it's only around half the price of the Panasonic.

ggibson

I found some samples of the Samyang used on the GF1 on flickr. Looks like a decent combo if you can't afford the Panasonic fisheye.