The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash for G1

J

jlever

Just converting over from Nikon and I have a Nikon flash, as well as an older Sony flash for an earlier Sony digital camera. Will these work on the G1? Are they safe to use on the G1?

thanks,

John

J

jlever

Is my question too simple to answer? Can somebody here help me?

Thanks.

DaveS

Hi John, I will give it a shot.

If they are fairly recent flashes from the past 10 years or so, the voltage of the hot shoe is probably ok. I think all current flashes are low voltage (5v?) and older units could be much higher, and cause possible damage to the electronics of newer cameras.

Part two is do they work - probably only if they have a manual or Aperture Priority setting on the flash unit. This is where a little 'eye' on the front of the flash senses the light output, and then shuts it off when the proper light reflects back to it. Usually on the back of these flash units there are switches that allow you to choose the ASA/ISO setting, and also the F/Stop on the flash unit. Then match them on your camera manually, and you should be set to go.

If you have all of the above on your flash units, one last tip is try bouncing the flash off the ceiling if it has a tilt function, and you will get a much nicer balance of light in your photos.

Finally, Ken Rockwell's site has a good section on Nikon flash units, and what they do, the voltage and whether it has manual or only full auto control.

good luck,
Dave