The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone go from M 4/3rds to 4/3rds?

Bigkidneys

I have to say the E5 is starting to make me wonder about buying one. Until now, I have never thought about crossing over but after spending some time with my E-P2 with a few M 4/3rd lenses and having seen the sharp pics the E5 produces and the colors, I am wondering if jumping ship from M 4/3rds to 4/3rds will offer much more than what I currently have... I have the following bodies and lenses in M 4/3rds:

E-P2
GH1
GF1

I also have the following M 4/3rd lenses: Panny 20, Panny 45/2.8, Panny 14-140, Panny 7-14.

Least to say I have a lot invested in M 4/3rds. What I am looking to do is step up in image quality and sharpness. If I go 4/3rds, I would be looking at the E5 or possibly E3 with the 12-60 lens to start. I would likely keep my E-P2 and a few lenses as the idea of carrying small when needed is a good option.

My question is, has anyone here moved formats like this and if so, did you notice an increase in image quality? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Audii-Dudii

I have to say the E5 is starting to make me wonder about buying one. Until now, I have never thought about crossing over but after spending some time with my E-P2 with a few M 4/3rd lenses and having seen the sharp pics the E5 produces and the colors, I am wondering if jumping ship from M 4/3rds to 4/3rds will offer much more than what I currently have...
I have no experience with the E-5, but having come to m4/3 from 4/3, I suspect the difference in IQ you're seeing isn't due to the 4/3 body, but the 4/3 lenses. With the exception of the Panasonic 20/1.7, I don't care much for the look of m4/3 glass (including the new 14/2.5, which I'll keep for convenience purposes even though it isn't knocking my socks off) and continue to use my 4/3 glass (PanaLeica 14-50, Oly 7-14, 14-35) on my m4/3 bodies despite their added size and heft as well as the various operational shortcomings. YMMV, of course...

nugat

My journey was Canon Rebel(s) and 5m2, Leica M8, Micro 4/3 (oly, panny), Nikon d700 and finally last fall Olympus E5+12-60. In the last combo I found everything I was missing in the previously used formats: great out of camera color and jpegs; fantastic glass quality across the frame, apertures and focal lengths; incredible built quality...Only occassionally now I reach for my D700+24/1.4, an unbeatable low-light wide-end monster machine. I also have access to other amazing Zuiko glass, but 90% of the cases the 12-60 does the job perfectly.

Bigkidneys

My journey was Canon Rebel(s) and 5m2, Leica M8, Micro 4/3 (oly, panny), Nikon d700 and finally last fall Olympus E5+12-60. In the last combo I found everything I was missing in the previously used formats: great out of camera color and jpegs; fantastic glass quality across the frame, apertures and focal lengths; incredible built quality...Only occassionally now I reach for my D700+24/1.4, an unbeatable low-light wide-end monster machine. I also have access to other amazing Zuiko glass, but 90% of the cases the 12-60 does the job perfectly.
Thanks guys. I went from 5DII and Zeiss glass to M 4/3 and find myself wanting a little more. Not so much concerned about noise as I have learned Topaz Denoize is a tremendous help with M 4/3. Since my only real zoom is the Panny 14-140, I am wondering if maybe buying a 14-45 will give me sharper pics since it will be a lighter lens and more of a walkabout lens. The pics I have seen from the E5 are stunning and most have been with the 12-60 which makes me think that combo would be a great starting point. What about the E3?

B

boyzo

43 still makes sense (E-5) and although I have a m43 system with bodies and lenses,
I use 43 lenses PL 14-150 12-60 and 50.2 zuiko lenses on both m43 bodies and 43 body (the L1)

43 is not dead so an E-5 makes sense today bearing in mind the great Oly lenses ED/HG and SHG

Photography is not about Megapixels FF and heavy seldom used like gear its all about a balance in IQ and great usability and m43 and 43 fit that idea so well.

kevinparis

I went from Canon 10D to 4/3 (E-510) to E-p1 to Canon 5D Mk2... still have them all apart from the first Canon that I gifted to a fellow photographer.

Nice thing is I have 3 different solutions to picture taking - each with strengths and weaknesses, plus, apart from the Canon EF lenses that only work on the Canon,almost every other lens I have, which include a lot of legacy Nikkors, OMs, contaxes and other stuff will work across all three bodies

keeps me happy anyway :)

K