The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 and Macro

Tesselator

Here's the shots I just took with the +17 :D

F/11

F/2.8

F/16 (that's actually dispersion that causing the colors... not CA.)

F/2.0

F/16

So, can anyone guess what this is? :D

Leica 77

It's my razor. :)

And that's the massive "No.17" (+17). It was attached to a Zeiss Jena Biotar 50mm F/2
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/nabanatei/e/69e34cef549da31b3b9eda223bc92214
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...RF-Nikkor/Contax_RF/ContaxZeissBIOTAR10cm.htm

BTW, That's the closest I can get with that lens without the close-up filter attached. This might give you some idea of the conversion factors here.
Hi Tesselator,

Your Gillette Safety Razor is as impressive as the Kenko AC Close-Up No. 17 Lens. I like the bokeh in your macro images captured at f2 and f2.8. :thumbs::thumbs: :thumbs: :)

S

sagarmatha

Even on Kenko's homepage one can only find close-up lens +3. Seems they stopped making them?

Tesselator

I dunno. I can go to the store here (in Japan) and buy that new. And about 8 other models too. Yet when I go to their page all I see is three or four. So either there's a massive back-stock from long long ago or their page is inaccurate for whatever reasons. But again, I don't know. It could be something else I haven't thought about too.

Thanks Leica, it's the same one my North Dakotain Grandfather used to shave with. I've tried just about all other types and there just no improving on perfection! Not that I shave very much or very often any longer, but... (recall the tripod shot with me in?). :)

deckitout

Well after hunting high and low and reading up on various bits and pieces I have sort of made a decision.

Second hand N which is +2.9 diop I think
Reasonably cheap set up (150 ukp) this will compliment my D700, D90 and with adaptor G1/EPL1, giving varying focal lengths.

The options out there are mindblowing

turbines

I also want to thank Tesselator for his excellent instructional guides on macro. All of his contributions were very well presented and contained very useful information. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Now I need to put some of this to practice so I ordered a new Kenko AC No.3 lens for $45 USD including shipping. That's the best price I was able to find. I am anxious to get my hands on it and give it a try.

deckitout

May I ask where you ordered this from

thanks

I also want to thank Tesselator for his excellent instructional guides on macro. All of his contributions were very well presented and contained very useful information. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Now I need to put some of this to practice so I ordered a new Kenko AC No.3 lens for $45 USD including shipping. That's the best price I was able to find. I am anxious to get my hands on it and give it a try.

deckitout

should have read

Well after hunting high and low and reading up on various bits and pieces I have sort of made a decision.

Second hand Nikon 55 micro and Nikon T4 which is +2.9 diop I think
Reasonably cheap set up (150 ukp) this will compliment my D700, D90 and with adaptor G1/EPL1, giving varying focal lengths.

The options out there are mindblowing

MRfanny

just wondering is there any gain on putting these on a macro lens for more magnification, say a tamron 90mm with lens element recessed inside?

photoSmart42

just wondering is there any gain on putting these on a macro lens for more magnification, say a tamron 90mm with lens element recessed inside?
Sure, works just like it does on any other lens. I sometimes use my Leitz close-up filter on my Tokina 90/2.5 to increase magnification without having to add the extender.

Tesselator

There doesn't seem to be many places about, this place has three versions +3,4,5 but the AC versions are pricey, I think I would want to be putting that sort of money to a dedicated macro lens

http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/closeup.aspx

If that's USD, those prices are whack! I just did a search and came up with this: http://www.digitalrev.com/en/kenko-filters-224-category.html?match_type=1&page=2

Look at the bottom two rows. Those are typical prices. Not discount cheap prices either... but "typical". Here's what the Japanese site lists:

http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/imaging/eq/eq_camera/close/closeup/ac345.html (being the official site they show the actual item too ;))

Keep in mind that those are maker prices (MSRP). Discount shops will have them lower. Usually there's a 20% ~ 25% margin.

NP, <blush>

That's about right.

No. :D Hehehe, these close up filters aren't primarily magnifying the scene objects - not very much anyway. They correct for close focusing - mostly. So the numbers correspond to the distance (range) you can focus whatever lens they are placed on. So you would put a #3 or something on a sharp zoom lens that otherwise has a minimum focusing distance (MFD) of 5 feet or something and be able to focus on subjects 9" to 12.9" away at whatever zoom (magnification) you select. Since most "real" macro lenses are already capable of focusing just inches away from the front element you gain very little by using these on a macro lens. There is some increase but it's usually not substantial - or not nearly as substantial as it would be on a non-macro lens. But, since the AC grade ones detract nothing noticeable in terms of IQ and also attempt to offer a flatter field at the same time, it's certainly worth playing with - especially if you already have both handy. :)

Last edited:

deckitout

I found these to but wasn't sure they were the real thing, they are different than these show in the image below. The filters form digital rev don't look thick enough to be achromatic, check these also
http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/products/3478/marumi-52mm-330-3-achromat-macro-filter

They are a lot thicker, maybe Tessealtor can chime in here as I think he owns some

Those prices are whack! I just did a search and came up with this:

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/kenko-filters-224-category.html?match_type=1&page=2

deckitout

just checked again, the filters shown from digital rev do not say AC on the filter despite being advertised as such
to me it reads Pro1D softon and they do not seem thick enough.
The filter thread from the image above read Pr1!D AC close up and are definately different

Tesselator

just checked again, the filters shown from digital rev do not say AC on the filter despite being advertised as such
to me it reads Pro1D softon and they do not seem thick enough.
The filter thread from the image above read Pr1!D AC close up and are definately different
Right. That site is using the same image for every filter they sell. Call to be sure but if the item tag says AC then that's what it is regardless of what image they have for it. I guess filters are so low dollar and all look so close to the same that they just decided to use one image for all. The image they're using BTW isn't actually a close-up filter of any kind. In my search I came across 4 sites doing the exact same thing.

deckitout

Well spotted Tess, hope your right because there are a fair price.
I have posted a thread at talkphotography.co.uk where they have forum section dedicated to there products so they appear legit

turbines

FWIW I contacted Digitalrev and had a lengthy discussion regarding the No.3 AC Close Up filter I ordered. I asked them to tell me specifically if the item detailed in my order confirmation was, in fact, the Kenko AC No.3 2 element achromat close up lens. In the end I did not get a satisfactory answer. After I receive the item I will follow up with another post. I guess it's possible that the support person I discussed this with was not familiar with the differences in these lenses.