The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the m43 Voigtlaender 25mm f/0.95 lens

P

panzerneo

@DHart: thanks! Let it rain :)
@ZoranC: agreed. Read a nonsensical review about it on stevehuff the other day, comparing apples and oranges. The plus side of this is it will help lower the price
of this amazing lens.

Let's just hope Cosina will keep on inventing bold lenses that do push the envelop.

ZoranC

@ZoranC: agreed. Read a nonsensical review about it on stevehuff the other day, comparing apples and oranges. The plus side of this is it will help lower the price of this amazing lens.
I have read Mr Babsky article and while I do agree it is nonsensical and not biased I feel it is still slanted by his personal point of view. Here is why:

1. Mr Babsky talks how one can skin the cat of background blur differently, by going with longer focal lengths. Yeah, I know that and I have such lenses, but what do I do when it is 50mm EFL FOV and/or certain "speed" that I want or need? :) Can't use that then, it's Nokton that pulls it off.

2. Mr Babsky talks 3 times in a row about sharpness under negatives (see below). Well, doesn't that matter _only_ if all person cares about is sharpness?

– It’s sharp stopped down, but not at its very widest and simultaneously its closest – for $900

– The genuine f0.95 ‘Noctilux’ is -w-a-y- sharper than this at 0.95 (..but costs $10,000)

– At closest focus you’re lucky to get anything really sharp unless stopped down to f2.8, so why pay for f0.95?

3. Mr Babsky says:

– Any 2nd-hand full-frame 50mm wide aperture lens + adaptor can give similar results for less cash

I disagree and I find it not making sense because first, let's not compare apples to oranges by comparing prices of used gear to prices of new gear.

Second, even if agreed to apples to oranges price of used D500 with used 50/1.4 G is still more than price of new m43 body with Nokton. Quite used D700 (please correct me if I am wrong) goes for approximate $1750. 50/1.4 G lets say $300, so we are looking at total over $2K. m43 body with Nokton is at least $500 less.

Last, but far from least, and that point seems to be lost on many reviewer, quite a few of m43 users became m43 users because they wanted to go _away_ from huge and heavy DSLR and have accepted compromises in IQ to achieve that.

So to tell full frame can achieve these results is missing a critical point that we do NOT want that huge DSLR with us, otherwise we wouldn't have bought m43.

I _have_ full frame body and I do have fast 50mm lens, but I would have been crazy to lug that around with me on a fun date last weekend. On the other hand EP2 with Nokton was acceptable (even though my girlfriend sometimes thinks I was still crazy anyway), and it still allowed me to get this shot of our table without getting up from a chair interfering with other tables or waiters or intruding into privacy of people opposite us or bothering everyone with flash.

P

panzerneo

One little detail I'd like to mention:
when taking macro shots, motion blur gets really amplified.
By combining the in-body image stabilisation of the Olympus E-P2 with the faster than usual aperture (and therefore higher shutter speed) I was able to shoot everyting hand-held. No problem!

RS

hater got to hate :)

I have read Mr Babsky article and while I do agree it is nonsensical and not biased I feel it is still slanted by his personal point of view. Here is why:

1. Mr Babsky talks how one can skin the cat of background blur differently, by going with longer focal lengths. Yeah, I know that and I have such lenses, but what do I do when it is 50mm EFL FOV and/or certain "speed" that I want or need? :) Can't use that then, it's Nokton that pulls it off.

2. Mr Babsky talks 3 times in a row about sharpness under negatives (see below). Well, doesn't that matter _only_ if all person cares about is sharpness?

3. Mr Babsky says:

I disagree and I find it not making sense because first, let's not compare apples to oranges by comparing prices of used gear to prices of new gear.

Second, even if agreed to apples to oranges price of used D500 with used 50/1.4 G is still more than price of new m43 body with Nokton. Quite used D700 (please correct me if I am wrong) goes for approximate $1750. 50/1.4 G lets say $300, so we are looking at total over $2K. m43 body with Nokton is at least $500 less.

Last, but far from least, and that point seems to be lost on many reviewer, quite a few of m43 users became m43 users because they wanted to go _away_ from huge and heavy DSLR and have accepted compromises in IQ to achieve that.

So to tell full frame can achieve these results is missing a critical point that we do NOT want that huge DSLR with us, otherwise we wouldn't have bought m43.

I _have_ full frame body and I do have fast 50mm lens, but I would have been crazy to lug that around with me on a fun date last weekend. On the other hand EP2 with Nokton was acceptable (even though my girlfriend sometimes thinks I was still crazy anyway), and it still allowed me to get this shot of our table without getting up from a chair interfering with other tables or waiters or intruding into privacy of people opposite us or bothering everyone with flash.