The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Off-topic

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There's another interesting phenomenon going on there: owners of cameras from one of the large manufacturers, Canon in particular, joining forces to ridicule any camera from other, smaller brands. It's going on at the discussion about the preview photos taken with the new Olympus XZ-1 now, and although some of the posts are a combination of uninformed blabber and outright lies, they get wide support from their buddies.

It's like they're afraid that "alien" cameras will take market shares from "their" brand, something that has to be fought for any price. Although I can understand brand loyalty to a certain degree (most teenagers, including myself some 40 years ago, suffer from it), these guys fight it out as if it were a question of life and death. Or maybe it is, and I simply haven't understood it yet :rolleyes:

As for the reviews, they are getting increasingly technically advanced, and proportionally irrelevant to real-life photography. That, and the fact that a camera with interchangeable lenses can't be judged without taking the quality and cost of lenses into consideration, which neither they nor most of the other review sites do, makes the whole exercise rather uninteresting, except for the pixel peepers and the totally uninformed.

Terry

I had pretty much stopped posting over there because each time it ended up in a fight. I don't care about brands. I like to try and use different cameras and just tell it like I see it. It is most egregious on the m4/3 forum where anyone who doesn't bash the Sony is not patriotic to m4/3. So, I for one has a different tone over at DPReview in recent months. I hate how contentious the forum has gotten....so I don't even go except for the news most of the time.

On the upside the forum is so big you can generally ask a more esoteric question and someone will have the answer.

ZoranC

Considering I own and use many brands of cameras and lenses (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus, Sigma, etc) I don't need owners of other brands to "play" with, it is enough that I can replace whole DPR by arguing with myself.

"Your NEX is a POS, Zoran"
"Look who's talking, Zoran, it's your m43 that is a POS"
"Listen Zorans, don't make me smack you both, everybody knows my D700 rules"
"Zoran, have you seen that thread where guy proved that my S90 kicks your D700 up and down the block?"
"You all Bayer Zorans have no clue, Foveon rules"

Ouch, my head hurts. Somebody stop them, please.

[/my sense of humor]

Terry

do you hear voices :talk028: :D

Considering I own and use many brands of cameras and lenses (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus, Sigma, etc) I don't need owners of other brands to "play" with, it is enough that I can replace whole DPR by arguing with myself.

"Your NEX is a POS, Zoran"
"Look who's talking, Zoran, it's your m43 that is a POS"
"Listen Zorans, don't make me smack you both, everybody knows my D700 rules"
"Zoran, have you seen that thread where guy proved that my S90 kicks your D700 up and down the block?"
"You all Bayer Zorans have no clue, Foveon rules"

Ouch, my head hurts. Somebody stop them, please.

[/my sense of humor]

Jonas

Jonas, (...) I haven't seen any moderation happen here at all nor have I seen any at DPR. So it's all relative to non-event.

Why people act different? They perceive the environments differently. If you are placed in the middle of a crowd at a rock concert you act one way, If you are placed in a children's kindergarden class while in session, you act another.

You, making someone else upset? Wow, how would it be - to have such power... No, you can't.
(...)
I dunno, just another 2¢... :)
Hi,

I have definitely seen moderation here, and I think that has been good actions. At DPR the chaos is partly thanks to the fact the moderation is performed as a lottery where mods react upon the amount of complaints filling their in-boxes, lol. So, there is no forum with no moderation at all, or I don't think there is. Anyway, the forums can be used in different ways. I still believe their character mainly comes from how moderators moderate and presents their intentions.

If I managed to make upset, or if somebody got upset by themselves after reading a post of mine... what's the difference? Or maybe the question is rhetoric. You have a point though and I should probably worry less about sensitive entities.

Cheers,

Jonas

deckitout

Spend a day at DPR and get lost in the threads, fighting and BS. Then ask yourself what you learnt, probably nothing. Spend a few hours over here and you will learn a lot more, like my recent Macro thread, great contributions.
I still visit the forums at DPR there are a few good ones, retouching I have always found good with little fighting. The Oly SLR is about the worst, there are some very educated technically brilliant posters, but do you ever see there work? and is it any good?
not usually

Tesselator

Well there are (at least) two very different kinds of posters. There are those who are technically very knowledgable and almost never post images. And then there are those who post images but usually know very little on the technical side. To find someone who is a good and knowledgeable techy and also posts great images is extremely rare!