The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which adapters for Olympus OM, Olympus 4/3, and Nikon?

bcf

The title says it all. I am beginning to get mightily interested in m4/3 bodies... Paehaps planning to buy a GH2, although I am not interested in video, but thsi one seems to have the best EVF and the best sensor and processing of the lot.

Now, I have several OM lenses (notably 21/3.5, 50/1.8 and 1.4, 85/2, 100/2.8, 135/2.8), the Olympus 4/3 14-54 (1st gen), and several Nikon AI-S and AF lenses (and Voigtlander in Konon mount, notably the 180/4).

Which adapters would be the best quality to use them on the GH2?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The best adapter I have, the most acurate anyway, is the Voigtländer F-mount to m43. It's a bit expensive, but feels very solid and the fit is perfect. I have an el cheapo OM to m43 adapter that I'm not happy with, almost fell apart, and too much room for the lens to move. I consider buying the Olympus MF-2 for that, but it's rather expensive at $200, at least where I live.

Be aware that the 100mm f/2.8, although a great lens because of its compactness, isn't sharp wide open on 4/3 or m4/3. F/4.0 is ok, and from f/5.6 it's very good. Very nice for video though. The 50mm f/1.8 (I have an old silver nose that came with my OM-1 in 1974) keeps surprising me with great image quality, even wide open. The 21mm f/3.5 is great, but a very slow "normal" lens on these cameras. I've bought a 28mm f/2.8, and find that a more useful (and much cheaper) lens.

bcf

The best adapter I have, the most acurate anyway, is the Voigtländer F-mount to m43. It's a bit expensive, but feels very solid and the fit is perfect. I have an el cheapo OM to m43 adapter that I'm not happy with, almost fell apart, and too much room for the lens to move. I consider buying the Olympus MF-2 for that, but it's rather expensive at $200, at least where I live.

Be aware that the 100mm f/2.8, although a great lens because of its compactness, isn't sharp wide open on 4/3 or m4/3. F/4.0 is ok, and from f/5.6 it's very good. Very nice for video though. The 50mm f/1.8 (I have an old silver nose that came with my OM-1 in 1974) keeps surprising me with great image quality, even wide open. The 21mm f/3.5 is great, but a very slow "normal" lens on these cameras. I've bought a 28mm f/2.8, and find that a more useful (and much cheaper) lens.
Thanks Jorgen. I remember the 100/2.8 on the E-1 was not good at f/2.8, there was a kind of "halo" around things, David Hamilton style...

I will investigate the Voigtlander adapter. Does anybody know the "Kipon" adapters? See here: http://www.lapetiteboutiquephoto.com/boutique/liste_familles.cfm?code_lg=lg_fr&num=151