The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH1/GH2 users - Am I Crazy? (14-140mm lens)

Roel

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a GH2 kit about 3-4 weeks ago (I was able to snag one locally) with the 14-140mm lens. I am really enjoying the camera - there is so much to it and I am quite happy with its overall performance.

I have the following lenses:

14mm 2.5
20mm 1.7
45mm 2.8 macro
100-300mm zoom

I have used the primes extensively with the GH2 as I got it to be my travel camera. I just got the 100-300mm lens and I am quite happy with its performance to date.

My dilemma is the 14-140mm lens I received as part of the kit. It is a good lens and a nice range - I have taken several shots with it and they are sharp, which is impressive given that it is a 10x superzoom. I just don't use it ... it has been on the GH2 at most 3 times and that was to test it. Otherwise, I tend to use my primes.

I know the 14-140mm is optimized for video - and I do shoot some once in a while, but my focus (pardon the pun) is stills. So at present, I don't think I would miss it if I sold it... or would I?

So my question to you ... do you think I am crazy for wanting to sell the 14-140mm?

I don't have a financial need to do so ... I am just pragmatic. I know I will have a gap from 46-99mm with my other lenses, but I don't seem to miss it.

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts/insights you can offer.

Godfrey

As always, Uwe, you post the most delightful photographs. :)

I'm in a similar quandry. I have moved almost entirely to the Olympus E-5 with 11-22, 25/1.4, 35 and 50 Macros as my working kit but I still have the L1 and Leica 14-50/2.8-3.5 ASPH OIS lens. It's a great lens ... but it does nothing but sit in the drawer.

I don't really need to sell it or the L1 ... however, I'd like the drawer to be that much emptier. Yet I'm a little reluctant. I posted it for sale here, but no bites. I'm still debating whether to put it up on Ebay.

I likely will. It's just another camera and lens, after all. Someone should be using it, not hoarding it.

M

mco_970

Roel, I have a similar kit (I have the GH1 and 14-45, though, instead of the 14mm) and I can well understand why you'd want to sell the 14-140.

Is there something else you could use the $$ for now? If not, keep the lens because you can always sell it later and there are supposed to be some nice new m4/3 lenses in the pipeline... If there's something else you'd use more, sell it and enjoy. I decided to sell a 45-200 to put money toward a CZ 35-70 to use with my m4/3 and Canon system. That will be MOST enjoyable!

Cheers,
Michelle

Diane B

Its a lens I've considerd if I need if/when I buy the GH2. Uwe uses it to wonderful advantage but I wonder if I would, like you. I have the original 14-45 which I used quite a lot when I got the G1 and also have the 45-200. I rarely use it but wonder if I had the 14-140 if I would shoot a bit more longer shots. I suspect I don't use the 45-200 because I have to remount. I know I don't use the 14-45 not because of its lack of IQ but because it isn't fast enough for me. I tend to carry the 20 and 45 and usually one other lens. My wonderings don't help you but I understand your thoughts about it.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor
>As always, Uwe, you post the most delightful photographs. :)

We like to hear that :).

Actually a photo from today. For people who don't know us we (Bettina and I) photograph as a team and share a joint copyright. Sometime not even we know who captured the image.

When we walk through an area any lens change is a distraction. On the E-5 I would use the 12-60mm most of the time (or 14-54mm to save a bit). The 14-54mm is our indoor movie lens.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I have the original 14-45 which I used quite a lot when I got the G1 and also have the 45-200.

The range 14-45 is not what would help us. Today on a typical walk we used the range 25-140 (quite a few >100mm).

It is also psychology as I got used to dislike kit lenses . The 14-45 is mainly used as a lens cap :).

Note: I know the 14-140 is also considered to be a video kit lens (expensive for it). It is not a great lens but a useful pragmatic compromise. On video it is nice though if light is strong enough.

Tesselator

Hi Everyone,

...my question to you ... do you think I am crazy for wanting to sell the 14-140mm?

I don't have a financial need to do so ... I am just pragmatic. I know I will have a gap from 46-99mm with my other lenses, but I don't seem to miss it.

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts/insights you can offer.

Well, sell it at a good price and then if you miss it buy another to replace it. Seems simple enough to me. And I doubt you'd be out more than about $50 on the entire thing if did come round full circle. Heck, you might even make money if it takes you very long.

photoSmart42

If you don't use it, you don't use it. Simple as that. No need to fret over that decision. Sell it and buy something else you'll use more. It's irrelevant how good the lens is if it's not useful to you.

biglouis

Simple answer: no, not really. I bought the GH-2 with the absolute intention of selling the 14-42 it came with on eBay (it is there now). I really wanted a 'body only' but they are not available yet. You've got everything you need with the other 3 lenses and with the larger file size you can crop more.

Just my two sense (or is that cents)

LouisB

Roel

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your thoughts. I am leaning toward selling it... I will play with it some more on the weekend and make my final decision next week.

I appreciate all of the responses.

Have a great weekend!