The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does FP TTL AUTO work with G2 in Manual Mode?

• Thread starter gardenersassistant
  • Start date
G

gardenersassistant

My apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question.

I am researching a move from a bridge camera, but am having problems finding a system suitable for my working methods for macros, which is my main area of interest.

The G2 is a definite possibility, subject to one uncertainty: Would an FL500 (or some other compatible flash unit) which is mounted on a G2 and set to FP TTL AUTO work "properly" with the G2 in Manual Mode at shutter speeds faster than 1/160 second?

(I have studied the G2, FL500 and Mecablitz 58 AF-2 manuals (including various tables and footnotes) but have not been able to answer this question.)

I have put "properly" in quotes because I am not sure how, precisely, I would expect it to work, but what I am hoping is that I could (when the ambient light level is high enough to require this):

Have the flash unit set up to direct light onto the scene either directly, through a home made diffuser, or indirectly by bouncing off a card;
Manually control the aperture, shutter speed and ISO, with the shutter speed faster than 1/160 second;
Point the focusing area at the appropriate part of the subject and gain focus;
Have the camera use its TTL metered pre-flash to pick up exposure requirements from the area used for focusing, and pass on the information to the flash for it to provide lighting for the subject.

(The subject might typically be a dark insect and/or an insect seen somewhat from below whose underside is heavily shadowed but needs to be decently illuminated for the photo to work well.)

Godfrey

...Would an FL500 (or some other compatible flash unit) which is mounted on a G2 and set to FP TTL AUTO work "properly" with the G2 in Manual Mode at shutter speeds faster than 1/160 second?
I have put "properly" in quotes because I am not sure how, precisely, I would expect it to work, but what I am hoping is that I could (when the ambient light level is high enough to require this):
Yes.

Setting FP TTL on the Panasonic-/Olympus-dedicated flash units and putting the G2 into Manual mode allows you to use all exposure time settings, control the aperture and ISO manually, and forces the flash unit to compensate with appropriate levels of output.

The issue here is what "properly" means. In FP mode, the flash unit's total output is drastically reduced and it is also variable based on the specific exposure time selected. Given that you are controlling ISO, ambient exposure time and aperture, there is a limited range of adjustment the flash unit can provide while also extending the flash duration for the focal plane shutter travel. This is one of those situations where you have to actually experiment with the camera, flash, various settings and a typical subject to understand how to get the best exposure for your uses.

G

gardenersassistant

Yes.

Setting FP TTL on the Panasonic-/Olympus-dedicated flash units and putting the G2 into Manual mode allows you to use all exposure time settings, control the aperture and ISO manually, and forces the flash unit to compensate with appropriate levels of output.
Excellent news. Thanks so much for the clear answer.

The issue here is what "properly" means. In FP mode, the flash unit's total output is drastically reduced and it is also variable based on the specific exposure time selected. Given that you are controlling ISO, ambient exposure time and aperture, there is a limited range of adjustment the flash unit can provide while also extending the flash duration for the focal plane shutter travel.
Ah, "drastically reduced" I had clocked, but "variable based on the specific exposure time", I had not thought about. Now you mention it though, that certainly makes sense.

I currently reflect or diffuse light from a Canon 430exii. (I have to set the flash level manually unfortunately - the Canon SX10is that I use is only TTL with P, Av or Tv, but not Manual mode. This is a hit and miss affair - especially when the best shutter speed options span the x-synch speed.) In FP mode the 430 can be borderline, power-wise, with my setup, which is why I was looking at the more powerful FL500, and the still more powerful Mecablitz 58.

This is one of those situations where you have to actually experiment with the camera, flash, various settings and a typical subject to understand how to get the best exposure for your uses.
Oh yes. Indeed so. And that's fine - now I know the basic principles are sound, for which, thanks again.