The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone here tempted by the NEX?

DHart

The sensor sure appeals to me, but little else about the camera appeals as much to me as the m4/3 system.

If Sony had made the body slightly larger (the lenses have to be big anyway, so why such a miniature body?) then they could have incorporated a nice EVF option, which is sort of a must for me. And if they're going to make the screen articulate a little, why not make it more versatile (for portrait orientation shooting)?

I like it's ability, with adaptors, to mount a host of legacy lenses and the sensor is great for sure, but it just falls flat for me otherwise from a functional standpoint.

How do you other m4/3 fans feel about it? Is the sensor enough of a draw to put up with the minimal functional versatility and enter another system format?

DHart

hot... please, tell me your impressions... how much do you like the camera? Do you plan to keep it? Compared to a GF1, for instance?

Terry

I have the NEX and really do like it. I hold it very differently than other smaller cameras. With the flip screen I tend keep it lower and closer to my body. I find the screen very good and the controls don't bother me. That being said, I needed more of a system with longer lenses for a trip and I will be using m4/3 for that trip. I like the image quality better from NEX than micro 4/3. We just need to get a better roadmap of where the system is headed.

DHart

I am tempted by everything, I fight it on a daily basis
Ha! Me too, dang it. ;)

Terry... good to hear that you like it. I know the IQ is great. I could be seriously tempted if the next body brings a quality EVF option and an articulating screen like the GH2 has. That would be killer. I can work with the smaller body size vs. lens size, but I need a good EVF at least. Got me wondering if my Contax/Yashica Zeiss, Voigtlander, and Canon FD lenses can be adapted to it, if so.... ummmm... I could be too tempted.

monza

I had the G1 and GH1 and have used the Olympus micro 4/3 (but never owned them.) Sold the GH1 in favor of the NEX 5. Do I miss the articulating screen? No, the flip up screen is really all I need. Do I miss an EVF? Yes, it would be nice, but I voted in favor of the 1.5x crop factor and higher ISO. When/if Sony brings out an EVF or a new model with EVF, I'll get it, but probably keep the NEX 5, too.

Also, just got my Fotodiox C/Y adapter (the one with the tripod mount.) Love the Contax lenses on NEX.

simonclivehughes

Don,

I have both m43 (GH1, GF1 and E-PL1) as well as two NEX5s (with kit lenses). For the most part I like to use my Voigtlander lenses on the NEX. The NEX sensor is definitely better, especially for the higher ISO performance.

From a practicality standpoint, the NEX is harder to work with (over m43) because of the interface differences/constraints and because of the lack of EVF (I have EVFs for both the GF1 and E-PL1). Note that the NEX version .03 firmware does make a considerable improvement over the original FW and offers a more versatile UI than before, allowing easier access to oft-used settings such as ISO, WB, Creative Styles etc.

Personally, I've found that I tend to get less keepers with the NEX due to camera shake (with the manual lenses), especially at fast apertures (I use both the 50mm f1.1 and the 75mm f1.8), but I'm sure this is just me. As Terry mentioned, the camera is best held as one would hold a TLR, cradled close to the body at waist level. This gives a fairly stable platform and with some practice on using your thumb on the shutter, things can be relatively stable. Certainly if you put the NEX on a tripod for shooting, it is a beautiful little digital back.

While the NEX has its weak points, such as the lack (thus far) of an EVF, the Sunny Weather setting on the LCD really does make the camera usable in even the brightest sunlight, more so than any other digital I've used. I prefer the swivel LCD of the GH1, but then I prefer the NEX LCD over the GF1/E-PL1. The UI is just something you need to wrap your mind around, and is clearly designed to be a bridge for upgrading P&S shooters. It is possible, however, to set the camera up so that most of the adjustments you might want to make are within a few button presses / menu clicks.

As Terry also mentioned, the m43 is generally the best option for longer focal lengths (not only because of the smaller available lenses (E.g. 45-200 and 100-300mm) but also because of the 2X crop rather than 1.5X crop. (I don't have the Sony 18-200mm lens, nor do I plan to get it... it's just too big, and for me, negates the reasoning for going with the smaller body.

While Sony could certainly improve the UI on the existing NEX, I suspect we'll have to wait for future generations of the product to see those appear. It's little things, such as the histogram disappearing when you alter EV, for example that make the seasoned photog shake their head in wonder, but overall, when you see the results possible from these tiny bodies, it is all worthwhile. Could it be better, absolutely, yes, but is it a camera that can be used to advantage right now, yes, certainly. In some respects, it's a bit like the Sigma DPx series where great images are possible, but you have to be able to conform to the camera's specific way of working. Some will, and some won't. YMMV.

Hope this helps,

kwalsh

I use m43 as a compact landscape kit. The NEX at present just isn't very good at that because of the very limited lens selection. Certainly both NEX and m43 have lots of legacy options, but for my landscape uses where quality but lightweight slow zooms are what is needed legacy is of no use. No native UWA makes NEX a non-starter for me. Now, if I shot different things there would be a lot to consider, but for me it looks like it is at least a couple of years before NEX will be relevant for my needs and by then who knows where m43 or other competition will be?

I guess, like everything else, it depends on what you use the camera for!

Ken

seakayaker

No temptation at all.

Attended a demonstration at a Sony booth and just did not like the look of the camera nor the feel of the NEX in my hands. It was just not a comfortable fit for me personally.

I also love the GF1 that I own and enjoy the reviews regarding the GH2 and do hope with the next round of improvements they will include those in a body similar to the GF1.

. . . . . and the last reason is I recently purchased a used M8.2 and available funds need to be channelled . . . . .

Jonas

The NEX cameras are tempting. The image quality is simply better. That is especially true when using adapted lenses (less border smear for example). The total difference, when it comes to sensor size is in theory about 0.8 stops. As Panasonic sensors lags a little the difference is bigger.

Hell yes, I am tempted. As soon as Sony make a NEX version with a viewfinder I'll be there. Why not add SSS as well to this slightly bigger NEX?

But what I really would like to have is, still, a Live FF camera. I wonder if Sony, Nikon or Canon will be first.

/Jonas

Kamoulox

Hello, ihad one and sold it. To my opinion, this is a great camera, but if you use it with other lenses than sony, it's a little bit difficult to take quickly a picture.
If the next Nex have stabilisation like the Olympus pen, it would be great !

photoSmart42

NEX in its current form holds zero interest for me. If I wanted a P&S I'd stick to using my wife's S95. I prefer the full-body form factor in a camera. On top of that, Sony cameras hold no interest for me either as a system.

kwalsh

The total difference, when it comes to sensor size is in theory about 0.8 stops.
At the risk of nitpicking I think you mean 0.4 stops if we are talking high ISO and DR. Crop factor difference is 2.0/1.5 so area difference is that ratio squared. SNR goes as the square root of photons collected, so we take the square root of the square and get right back to the original crop factor ratio. Converting that to stops: log(2.0/1.5)/log(2) = 0.4 stops. Pretty sure that is right, but maybe I made a mistake.

But what I really would like to have is, still, a Live FF camera. I wonder if Sony, Nikon or Canon will be first.
Most definitely!

Ken

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I actually find the A55 a more interesting camera than the NEX. I need a viewfinder and I prefer to have a grip. No legacy lenses for the A55 of course, but some beautiful Zeiss glass that I can't afford :(

I'm a bit on the fence right now. Will probably by a GF2, body only, since it's cheap and can use the same adapters as the GH1 that I have.

I'm also curious what Nikon will come up with next, since I have a lot of F-mount lenses. They have to do something.