The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One of those bag threads

Terry

I own a few different Rickshaw bags and really like them. I benefit from living in San Francisco and can go to their "factory" store. The people who work there are fantastic and the company was started by the former Timbuk2 CEO. All the bags are made locally. I really like the Zero Messenger in the medium size. I use it with a camera insert and still have room for some other things. You could also use it with camera wraps as the above poster plans to do. One nice thing is the ability to customize the interior of the bags. The zero messenger has velcro strips on the inside and the pockets/pouches are sold separately allowing you to decide what you want on the inside.

Living close by, I have been able to go back to the work area and look through some of their funkier fabrics that don't show up on the website so I have a couple of interesting fabric and color choices. I believe they will have a camera specific bag or insert in the near future.

For a small kit (GF and Pen series with smaller lenses) and iPad you can probably pretty easily get away with the zero messenger in the small size and for sure the new mini communter is sized for an iPad and can hold some camera gear.

The Dodo bag mentioned above is very nice as well.

Diane B

Thanks Darlar. Rickshaw was revommended also and I've looked at their site quite a lot. Its on my "try at some point" bag. I did wonder if the simple black would be too similar to my LP Terraclime which won't q-u-i-t-e handle the Ipad. It handles the G1 and a couple of lenses, esp in lens bags, just fine. I rather liked some of the custom combos Rickshaw can do. Still on my "interested' list so thanks for your assessment of yours.

Diane

Diane -
It sounds like you've found a good bag already, but if you end up not happy with it I recommend looking at the bags made by Rickshaw Bags in San Francisco. I've got their special edition "DODObag" sold by DODOcase (wonderful moleskine style iPad case), which is Rickshaw's Zero Small messenger. It is just big enough for my EP2, a few odds and ends, an extra lens or two, and my iPad. The Zero Medium would probably carry everything you'd like it to.

Rickshaw has a wide variety of colors, but the black DODObag has a very cool look about it. I've got a 15" Domke wrap in the mail, and I'm planning on using that to protect the camera and/or extra lens that I'll carry around. Otherwise, its a minimalist bag that won't dwarf anyone or look like its carrying a small fortune in gear.

Godfrey

Decided to try the purple Tenba mini but bought from Amazon so easy return if it doesnt work for me. I'll post here when I get it and try it.

Surprised myself getting something other than black (well over many years have had only a couple non black bags, a dark green bag for my ood Oly E10, a red backpack gone now to Goodwill, and my tan Domke F6 which I've long wished was black LOL though the black Domke canvas bags get "dull" with use but not as easily dirty as it gets set on ground a lot).
Heya Diane,

Just curious how the Tenba Mini Messenger has worked out for you. I was at the camera shop yesterday and decided to give one of these a try ... the Domke F5XB works for the E-1 and one lens, the Billingham L2 works for the E-3 and one lens, and the Think Tank Photo UD35 v2 works great for the whole kit and laptop, but I have nothing that really works well in the middle between those two ends.

The Tenba Mini Messenger looked very good at the store ... If it will fit the iPad plus E-5 and two or three lenses, it is exactly what I'm after.

(The Billingham F/Stop 1.4 is the other choice I was considering. Certainly a bag with nicer materials, etc—it's more than double the price ... )

Diane B

Godfrey, I would think so. i'm easily carrying the G1 with most any lens mounted except 45-200 the way I put it in, plus 4 lenses if I choose plus Ipad and other accessories, most anything else like book, notepad, etc, etc. will work. With the m4/3 there is room for one more layer on top--like a sweatshirt or sweater or use your imagination. Its a great travel bag for me. I have other options if I just want a body and 2 lenses but this is light enough and flexible enough to handle all I need--or SHOULD need LOL. I bought it in purple too which is one of my few non-black bags. When I cut back a bit on gear but still too much for Domkes or Terraclime I change the shoulder strap for one of my Domke less bulky straps.

Hope you like yours.

Diane

DHart

Godfrey... I recently got a Tenba Mini Messenger and as with most everyone, I'm really impressed with it. Excellent design, materials, and execution. I can carry a GH2, GF1, EVF, 7-14, 14-45, 14-140, 20/1.7, Canon FDn 50/1.4, LX5 w/ accessory hood & WA lens, iPad, and iPhone4.

To protect them from banging around, I keep some of the lenses in their Panasonic bags; this way one can sit atop another and no worries about scratches or damage to either. Not so quick and convenient come lens-change time, but it is what it does and that's ok.

To hold all the lens hoods, remote release, spare batteries, memory cards, Kirk ball head shoe, and filters, I use a padded, zippered bag which is about 2"x4"x5" that just sits on top of everything. This is plenty of gear for an outing, but for travel/trips/vacations, etc. I would definitely need the Small instead of the mini so that there would be room for another lens, chargers, water bottle, and a few other miscellaneous items.

I'm thinking that on trips, while flying, if my wife carried the Mini and I carried a Small, between the two bags that should easily carry the m4/3 camera gear, an iPad, a MacBookPro, some snacks, and a few extras. Then for day excursions while at destination, we could use either the Mini or the Small for just what was needed for the day.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Ok, thanks to both of you. Should be here at the end of the week, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works as I hope. :)

kweide

Last week i took one Tenba messenger camerabag large in burnt orange color and i am very satisfied with it. E-5 incl. HLD incl. 12-60 fits resting on its side, + 3 additional lenses, flash, iPad and lots of batteries, cf cards and other stuff fits.

Klaus

f6cvalkyrie

:rolleyes: This topic motivated me to check my own "good old" bag.
I'm not a frequent customer of camerabag manufacturers to say the least.
In fact, I have only bought one in my whole life. That must have been somewhere around 1975 :eek::eek:
It's a Sirius (made in Korea) and I don't think it has been expensive, because I did not spent a lot of money on photography at that time.
It's first trip was a 2-month photosafari in Kenya, and the bag has travelled all the continents except Australia ever since.

As I bought it for my Nikon equipment, it might be considered a little oversized for the G1, but then, I can take 5-6 lenses without any problem :thumbup:
Unfortunately, I cannot find the separations anymore :(

No maintenance is needed for this bag, except a good wash in the machine once a year, or after a really "dirty trip".

This is how the bag looks today :

:D:DCan you believe that I'm really happy with that purchase ??

Have a nice day,
Rafael

Godfrey

DId you consider the DOmke F10?
It's too small and narrow, holds less than the F5XB. The E-5 with a lens on it barely fits at all. I was looking at the Domke F2 but it's a bit bulkier than I wanted and isn't the right form factor ... I have a Domke F6 which work well for camera and a couple of lenses, but isn't shaped propely for the iPad.

Godfrey

Last week i took one Tenba messenger camerabag large in burnt orange color and i am very satisfied with it. E-5 incl. HLD incl. 12-60 fits resting on its side, + 3 additional lenses, flash, iPad and lots of batteries, cf cards and other stuff fits.

Klaus
Is that a Small Messenger or a Mini Messenger, Klaus?

kweide

Hi Godfrey
The bag is called "Tenba Messenger camera bag large"
Color is "burnt orange". It is a very functional bag, lots of storage capacity.

http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger-Medium-Camera-Bag.aspx

Product code is 638-344

It fits E-5 with attached HLD and 12-60SWD, 3 Lenses ( Summilux 25 mm, Zuiko 7-14, Zuiko 11-22. 1x iPAD. In the side compartments: Batteries, flash Metz58 AF-1, in the coverflap: several CF cards and small parts. If you like i can provide some pictures

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey
The bag is called "Tenba Messenger camera bag large"
Color is "burnt orange". It is a very functional bag, lots of storage capacity.

http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger-Medium-Camera-Bag.aspx

Product code is 638-344

It fits E-5 with attached HLD and 12-60SWD, 3 Lenses ( Summilux 25 mm, Zuiko 7-14, Zuiko 11-22. 1x iPAD. In the side compartments: Batteries, flash Metz58 AF-1, in the coverflap: several CF cards and small parts. If you like i can provide some pictures
How screwed up is the Tenba website and naming schema?

The page link you posted above points to a completely different series bag from what I've been looking at. You can see from this page

http://www.tenba.com/Categories/Messenger-Bags.aspx

that the Messenger: Medium bag you're talking about isn't even listed in the Messenger series I've been looking at, which includes Mini, Small, Medium and Large sizings.

This page

http://www.tenba.com/Collections/Messenger.aspx

shows that what you're looking at is considered a "Camera Bag" by collection, where the ones I've been looking at are considered "Photo/Laptop Bag" by comparison. Totally different designs.

Amazing. About half the bag manufacturer sites are like this. Why can't these people get a clue and provide decent product descriptions and sensible naming schema?

Yes, I'd like to see some detail photos of your bag stuffed with gear.

kweide

:) yes, their page is confusing

Her are some pictures of the "Tenba messenger camera bag large"
Color "burnt orange"

Proof

loaded

inclusive iPad

side

the flap

The shown small storage card etui is NOT part of the bag

the other side

Godfrey

Thanks! That looks like a good solid design.

It's a bit bigger than I was looking for (I don't use the battery grip so my E-5 body is smaller than that) and I notice that it doesn't have a dedicated pocket for computer or iPad, you're fitting it between the camera section and the outer shell of the bag. That works, but it's not what what I am after.

When I need that much gear I use the UD35 or a Domke F3X that has similar space and pocket arrangements to this bag (a little deeper and squarer, otherwise pretty similar).

Hadn't seen your review, Diane. That's helpful, let's me gauge how what I want to fit might work. I think it will work fine, although I might need the Small instead of the Mini.

Well, I'll see how the Mini I ordered fits what I want to put in. Should be here at the end of the week. If it doesn't work, I'll return it and keep looking.

DHart

Guess I need to clarify my post above about the Tenba I was describing... It is the Tenba Mini Messenger Photo/Laptop bag that is shaped like a true messenger bag, not shaped like a camera bag. I liked this shape because it is narrower and more vertical, which keeps it closer to the body under the arm, which I preferred for traveling. The more conventional photo shaped bag would be more convenient to work out of, while the Messenger style shape seems better for traveling around and doesn't look so much like a camera bag. Both are great designs, depending on which attributes are more important to the user.

http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger-Mini-Photo-Laptop-Bag.aspx

Diane B

I agree Don. I chose the mini messenger because I have that Domke that Godfrey mentioned more like the Tenba camera bag with the pouches in the side which I use mostly with my 5D setup. Knowing that I am sure Kweide's Tenba camera bag is likely nice to shoot from. I, too, wanted the messenger style and I really like the option of being able to zip from the top and get camera body or lens. I don't use the bag day to day where I only want one extra lens in addition to the one mounted and I can get the Ipad in "tightly" in the Terraclime so use that more casually. When I head out for a day of shooting, 4 lenses and "stuff" and Ipad OR travel with m4/3 this should handle it. Admittedly I havent traveled with it yet but have packed it for trial run.

DHart

Yes, I think the bag Klaus has would be great to work from when doing extensive work with a lot of lens changing and such. And I think the Messenger style would be better for traveling with and working from when there isn't a lot of lens changing with many lenses going on. It's why we need sooooo many different bags! :ROTFL:

Godfrey

The Terraclime 100 which was so useful with the G1 kit is just about useless with the E-1 and E-5 SLRs. Their size and shape just overwhelm it completely. I imagine it will come in handy if I ever get an X1, X100 or E-PL2.

Different kits, different bags. The old F3X is my "go to an assignment with a bunch of stuff and work all day" bag. A true workhorse, it's handled a lot of gear and stays very easy to work with. I've had it for 15 years or so at this point and it still looks like new despite all the banging around.

Come to think of it, my Domke F5XB is about 18 years old now... still going strong.