The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One of those bag threads

mark1958

I have an older messenger bag and I never liked it. When there was a lot of weight in the bag--- the bag bulged badly and the top zipper easily came undone. May be the newer ones are better in this regards.. but it looks similar enough.

DHart

I have an older messenger bag and I never liked it. When there was a lot of weight in the bag--- the bag bulged badly and the top zipper easily came undone. May be the newer ones are better in this regards.. but it looks similar enough.
No such issues with my Tenba.

What brand/model bag did you have?

Godfrey

I've been carrying the Tenba Mini Messenger with

- Olympus E-5 fitted with Summilux-25
- 11-22/2.8-3.5
- 50/2 Macro
- Nikkor 85/1.8
- FL36 + remote cable + pair of RF transceivers
- MBP13 in the computer pocket
- remote release
- two spare batts and a card wallet
- notepad, journal, pens, cell phone, iPod Touch and a few other miscellaneous bits

It all fits with room to spare, doesn't bulge, and the top flap zipper hasn't unzipped yet. The flap isn't stressed that I can see. I doubt I'll ever try to jam more into it, I can see myself taking stuff out however.

The bag gets a little heavy once the laptop is in there; i often leave it out. (16 days to the iPad 2... :)

Godfrey

Thanks for the detailed shots of the Tenba, it actually looks like it would work very well for me.

I received a promo email from Think Tank Photo with their new bag, which is designed for m4/3 or rangefinder systems:

The Retrospective 5

I have many TTP bags and rollers, and the quality is first rate. I already own a Retrospective 30 (the big one), and it's a terrific bag. I'll also be taking a close look at this new bag once it's available.
I was very interested in the Retrospective 10 model (I had the Urban Disguise 50, sold it recently for the UD 35v2, and really like both of them). I was put off by it: it seemed very heavy for its capacity, the strap isn't removable, there's no space that really suited the iPad well although it can be jammed into the front or back pocket. The material they've chosen for it is assuredly very durable but overly heavy, I think.

So look carefully at this new 5 model before spending money on it. I had actually gone to the store to buy the 10 and walked out with the UD35 instead as a better choice.

ywen

Okay so here is my dilemma I'm visiting China. Planning taking the GF1 with 20mm + 14-42 Oly zoom.

I don't want to carry a dedicated camera bag and I plan using a normal backpack. However I still need to protect the camera + lenses when stored in my packpack. I came across this camera "capsule" that you can store you camera in and throw the capsule into a normal bag

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/camera-capsules/

Anyone used it? Anything else out there similar to this?

Godfrey

Okay so here is my dilemma I'm visiting China. Planning taking the GF1 with 20mm + 14-42 Oly zoom....
I've not used that specific product, but I've seen and uses several other similar small camera protectors like this. They all work ok, none are particularly convenient for shooting from ... but it sounds like you're not going there on a photography mission so they'll all do just fine.

ywen

I've not used that specific product, but I've seen and uses several other similar small camera protectors like this. They all work ok, none are particularly convenient for shooting from ... but it sounds like you're not going there on a photography mission so they'll all do just fine.
Do you know the others makers of similar products?

Yes you're right.. I plan on carrying water etc.. in my packback so I would not want to bring a camera packpack.. Just something to transport my GF1 to a destination and then have the GF1 around my neck

Rich M

Yes you're right.. I plan on carrying water etc.. in my packback so I would not want to bring a camera packpack.. Just something to transport my GF1 to a destination and then have the GF1 around my neck
Why not buy the Tenba Mini-Messenger and slide out the insert for your trip?

R

ywen

the insert is not full sealed the top is open..

so any other manufacturers of these fully sealed camera capsules?

I actually own a domke FX5B so I might just take that bag with me on the trip...

Diane B

Just a note. The Tenba mini messenger doesn't have an insert like the small and large. i thought it did when I ordered mine, not paying enough attention I guess. In the long run, I'm glad it doesn't. I think the dividers with flaps are more functional for my use.

Diane

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Okay so here is my dilemma I'm visiting China. Planning taking the GF1 with 20mm + 14-42 Oly zoom.

I don't want to carry a dedicated camera bag and I plan using a normal backpack. However I still need to protect the camera + lenses when stored in my packpack. I came across this camera "capsule" that you can store you camera in and throw the capsule into a normal bag

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/camera-capsules/

This approaches a solution that I would love to have for travel: A 3-4 day travel bag with a camera insert and space for all my other stuff as well (clothes, laptop etc.), and an ultra-light bag that folds into the large one, and that will take the camera insert only, enabling me to leave the larger bag at the hotel while I'm out taking photos.

Rich M

Just a note. The Tenba mini messenger doesn't have an insert like the small and large. i thought it did when I ordered mine, not paying enough attention I guess. In the long run, I'm glad it doesn't. I think the dividers with flaps are more functional for my use.

Diane
Thanks Diane......on different websites, they are called different things.

I must have the small Messenger (even though when I bought it a few years back, it was called "mini".)

R

Godfrey

I put waterbottles on the outsides of a backpack or on an accessory belt, not inside it where gear and other things that might be damaged by water spillage live. Seems to me there is also some kind of water carrier that you wear around your neck and on top of/underneath the backpack ... but I'm out of my element here, I rarely go hiking in the wilderness were I need more than a quart bottle of water along. :)

The bags like this that I have used in the past were lined and zipped accessory pouches/inserts from folks like Lowepro and Crumpler. A couple of no-name ones too. Sorry, I only used them for a short while and found them too inconvenient to take note of ... I probably gave a dozen of them away last year when I discarded the Bag Mass that was filling up my office.

Godfrey

This approaches a solution that I would love to have for travel: A 3-4 day travel bag with a camera insert and space for all my other stuff as well (clothes, laptop etc.), and an ultra-light bag that folds into the large one, and that will take the camera insert only, enabling me to leave the larger bag at the hotel while I'm out taking photos.
I've done this with various shooting and carrying bag combinations over the years, Jorgen. For instance, on my last trip to the UK in 2008, I carried my gear there in the Urban Disguise 50. My Domke F5XB was in the rollaway stuffed with clothing and such. When I arrived at destination, I pulled the equipment I wanted for a day shoot out of the UD50 and reconfigured the Domke to go shooting with. It only takes a minute to reconfigure the bag, I don't need the completely removable insert.

That was one of the checks I did with the Tenba Mini Messenger on Friday: it is just the right size to fit in my rollaway with the dividers folded flat and stuffed with clothing and such. Gear will transport in the UD35 so it is always with me, the rollaway goes in checked luggage. At destination, the TMM comes out and gets configured for gear, and I'm off shooting.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Godfrey,
That works fine with checked luggage, but I mostly travel with carry-on luggage only. I had a look at the TT Shape Shifter, and found that to be an interesting bag. If they made a three layer version, one layer for compact DSLR or m4/3 gear, one for a laptop and one collapsible layer for clothes etc., I would only need one bag. I've written an email to TT suggesting that they look into something like that. Who knows, they might be interested. I can't be the only one travelling light.

Previously, I used the TT Airport Addicted for this, since it will room the kitchen sink and more (including a smaller bag) and still be allowed as carry-on luggage by most airlines. The problem nowadays is that, due to its size, many airlines insist on weighing it, and it tends to become rather heavy when filled up. Emptying the camera gear into a photo vest before check-in solves that, but now I've seen them weighing carry-on luggage at the gate if it looks heavy, so I would have to keep the gear in the vest into the airplane as well :(

bennettk

Godfrey

Godfrey,
That works fine with checked luggage, but I mostly travel with carry-on luggage only. I had a look at the TT Shape Shifter, and found that to be an interesting bag. If they made a three layer version, one layer for compact DSLR or m4/3 gear, one for a laptop and one collapsible layer for clothes etc., I would only need one bag. I've written an email to TT suggesting that they look into something like that. Who knows, they might be interested. I can't be the only one travelling light.

Previously, I used the TT Airport Addicted for this, since it will room the kitchen sink and more (including a smaller bag) and still be allowed as carry-on luggage by most airlines. The problem nowadays is that, due to its size, many airlines insist on weighing it, and it tends to become rather heavy when filled up. Emptying the camera gear into a photo vest before check-in solves that, but now I've seen them weighing carry-on luggage at the gate if it looks heavy, so I would have to keep the gear in the vest into the airplane as well :(
My scheme works for carry-on too, as my rollaway is regulation size for carryon with any airline I've flown, and most will allow two bags (one luggage, one personal ... the TTUD35 is small enough to classify as personal). It also stacks nicely on the rollaway's handle. I just find that checking the rollaway for transatlantic flights saves a lot of grief.

I try to keep the total equipment mass plus bag to under 14 lbs. That passes nearly all requirements. I can fit a lot of gear into 14 lbs...

You inspired me to check:

The Tenba filled with MBP13", power, E-5 + 11-22, 25/1.4, 50/2, 85/1.8, etc, weighs 14.3 lbs.
The UD35 filled with the same weighs 15.2 lbs.
The Feisol tripod complete in its case is 4.2 lbs.

That's pretty much all I'd ever carry on travel unless I have some specific need for additional gear. I don't usually carry more than one camera ... I have a backup here at home that can be air-freighted to me anywhere I'm likely to go in less than 48 hours.

Godfrey

BTW, here's a few snappies of the Tenba Mini Messenger with my E-5 kit and MacBook Pro 13" ...

Click image to see the full-sized photo composite.

Aside from the flash (which was on the E-1 taking these photos...) and the pack of spare flash batteries, that's what I'd normally carry on travel. There's plenty of "stuff space" left in the bag for additional incidentals and a small accessory organizer pouch too.