The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One of those bag threads

Diane B

I have a closet full of bags from really big for commercial shooting to the diminutive Terraclime. My favorite bags are my 3 Domkes so you know where I'm coming from and most of my bags are geared to big DSLRs with multi lens kit.

I want a messenger style, slimmer profile, that will accomodate a G1ish body with maybe 3 lenses and my Ipad (and the other usual "stuff"). Right now I'm using a very very old LL Bean messenger with the 4 lens Domke insert but its way too deep and just generally doesn't work well. The Domke F6 is good but doesn't really accomodate the Ipad and I'd really like a bit slimmer profile. The only one suggested that seems to work is the Tenba Mini Messenger but since I live in the netherlands of Lowepro and Tamrac as far as bags go I have to depend on reviews and others suggestions. Would this be over structured?? I do like its removable camera insert option.

I'm not a street shooter but this will mostly accompany me to urban areas when traveling or full days of shooting. I change lenses out depending on the shoot but the biggest would be the 45-200 or the ZD9-18, mostly mid sized lens. I also like to carry it cross body. This shouldn't be so hard to find LOL.

Godfrey

Hi Diane,

Someone pointed me to this one recently that sounded like it might be appropriate for what you're looking for:

It might be a little larger than what you had in mind as it can fit a 15" laptop.

I like the looks and design, but went for the Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise 35 v2.0 as a better fit to my needs. It's a vertically oriented bag, deep rather than long, and works well with my daily load of paperwork & laptop, camera, etc.

Godfrey

Re: Domke F-803

Check out Stev Huff's review of the Domke F-803. I use a Artisan and Artist insert. Similar to A&A Oskars One Day bag only a little taller, so ipad fits in back pocket. Works perfectly with GF1, GH2, 20/1.7, 7-14, 14-45, and 100-300.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/04/12/i-found-my-bag-the-domke-f-803/
That's a great bag ... I used one for 17+ years. It's a little tight for my current SLR gear, should be fine for the Panasonic Lumix G line. Nice that the iPad fits in the back pocket too.

Jonas

The Domke F-803 (I never owned any of the new waxed versions, I think my two old ones were called "Junior satchel" when I bought them) is a great bag simply put. It doesn't come with that many padded inserts, one of them I think it is so one has to add something to it there. That can either be some Domke original pads or something from your closet...

I also never managed to stuff such a lot of things people usually do but that's because I like to be able to switch lens quickly. I guess an ipad fits in the back pocket but that is also the side of the bag bumping into you for every second step you take. I'm not sure that is optimal. I usually have a notebook, my passport and some other small things in that pocket.

Anyway; it's great, good looking and durable, doesn't advertise Expensive camera inside, can take quite heavy rain and is a good no nonsense bag. It can take bigger cameras as well. I used it a whole summer for my 5D with a couple of lenses but then I found the opening to be a little narrow. There should be plenty of reviews available - Mr Huff is late on this one.

jonoslack

HI Diane
There is absolutely no question that what you need for this is a Fogg B-Sharp. it's a perfect size, has a front pocket which exactly fits an ipad, and will give you just the right amount of room inside.

some snaps

the ipad in the second shot is a clue to the size

These are beautifully hand made by Nigel Fogg and bee berman in France. Lovely people and beautiful bags.

Godfrey

The Fogg bags are gorgeous, but here in the USA they are even more ridiculously over-priced than the Billinghams. I don't complain about prices all that often, but seriously ... A Fogg B-Sharp in the USA is over $500! That's a lot of sheckles ...

JMaher

Jono,

How would one of these (or other Fogg bags you have used) fit a Pentax K5 kit?

Jim

jonoslack

The Fogg bags are gorgeous, but here in the USA they are even more ridiculously over-priced than the Billinghams. I don't complain about prices all that often, but seriously ... A Fogg B-Sharp in the USA is over $500! That's a lot of sheckles ...
HI Godfrey
they are expensive - but they are also hand made by the couple who own the company - not by their employees, but by them - I don't know of any other company which does this.

The standard of finish is wonderful - if you assume that the dealer is making at least a 100% markup, that's not a lot of money for the work involved.
Of course - you may not think you want to spend the money, but I've been using mine every day since I got it - and it gives me pleasure every day.

jonoslack

Jono,

How would one of these (or other Fogg bags you have used) fit a Pentax K5 kit?

Jim
Hi Jim
they do well - basically they are just about deep enough to hold a K5 on it's side without any pressure on the pentaprism.
You can get a K5 with the 18-135 fitted, together with another lens into a b-laika, and with two or three other lenses into a b-sharp.

Diane B

Thanks for all the good replies. Having been a working high end craftsperson for years I do appreciate the workmanship and that they do it themselves but its not in my budget for the Fogg unfortunately. It may also be a bit too structured for me but never having seen one, don't know that. Who even sells them here in US?? I understand the pleasure one gets from using a well crafted, esp. personally, item. l drink my tea from a big collection of mugs, all esp. selected and created by people I know. Makes tea time always special. in addition, not sure if my lowly m4\3s deserve a bag that costs more than them LOL.

I looked at the Domke F803, not the waxed version, and I do have 3 Domke bags already
so its a possibility. My Domke bags are showing their use/age but not in disrepair (all canvas). I checked specs, weight esp. and was surprised to see they are all about in same ballpark with the Tenba which i expected to be heavier.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, all of which I'm checking out (and even the Fogg which is lovely for sure).

Diane

Godfrey

they are expensive - but they are also hand made by the couple who own the company - not by their employees, but by them - I don't know of any other company which does this.

The standard of finish is wonderful - if you assume that the dealer is making at least a 100% markup, that's not a lot of money for the work involved.
Of course - you may not think you want to spend the money, but I've been using mine every day since I got it - and it gives me pleasure every day.
Oh, I understand that. It's simply that for those prices, I'd rather buy a train ticket and ride the Coast Starlight Express from San Diego to Vancouver and back.

Of course, I'd love a Fogg bag too. My local dealer has them (Palo Alto, CA) and they are truly lovely pieces of work. I'm quite willing to part with serious money for wonderful products, but $500 is way above my pay grade ... for a bag. ;-)

jonoslack

Oh, I understand that. It's simply that for those prices, I'd rather buy a train ticket and ride the Coast Starlight Express from San Diego to Vancouver and back.
Hi Godfrey
I wasn't for a second suggesting that this was anything other than a 'luxury' purchase - but in addition to being rather fab they also do the job well.

Still, I do quite understand your point.
Of course, I'd love a Fogg bag too. My local dealer has them (Palo Alto, CA) and they are truly lovely pieces of work. I'm quite willing to part with serious money for wonderful products, but $500 is way above my pay grade ... for a bag. ;-)
As I say - I wasn't advocating their cost/effectiveness ratio - just their desirability ( I also think that they are good 'value for money' - but I think that the Leica M9 is that too!).

JMaher

Diane,

I have a Tenba Small Messenger which from the specs is just a little larger than the one you are looking at. It's very deceptive as it seems very well built and has good padding but seems to weight almost nothing. Mine also has space for a small laptop and the camera section is an insert you can pull out. The owner of the local camera store and his wife both bought themselves one and he convinced me I needed one as well. I own two Domke bags that I really like and this is very different but it certainly seems to be well made. I can't tell about longevity and I only recently purchased it.

Jim

Diane B

Diane,

I have a Tenba Small Messenger which from the specs is just a little larger than the one you are looking at. It's very deceptive as it seems very well built and has good padding but seems to weight almost nothing. Mine also has space for a small laptop and the camera section is an insert you can pull out. The owner of the local camera store and his wife both bought themselves one and he convinced me I needed one as well. I own two Domke bags that I really like and this is very different but it certainly seems to be well made. I can't tell about longevity and I only recently purchased it.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I actually am leaning toward a Tenba. One of the things that swayed me is checking weight against so many other messenger bags, even including Timbuk2 and similar (and even against my much faved Domke F6). I was surprised that they were almost always lighter or about the same. Tenba certainly has the other things I like--lots of pockets, insert that can be removed, right size, etc. Now I'm going to look at the small you have and the mini and compare. Guess I'll get predictable black but I certainly am tempted by the purple LOL.

Diane

JMaher

Diane,

Let me know if a specific photo would help. I bought mine in brown, the store
owner in black and his wife in purple. All the colors look pretty good.

Jim

DHart

I've been looking at bags lately myself (never seem to have the "right" bag even having a number of them already!). The Tenba Messenger is also one that I've zeroed in on as a final contender. Lots of good reviews on them and excellent features.

Kat bags are worth looking into as well:

http://www.kata-bags.com/kata.asp?Version=Photo

Their DB and CS families might offer something you would like.

Diane B

Decided to try the purple Tenba mini but bought from Amazon so easy return if it doesnt work for me. I'll post here when I get it and try it.

Surprised myself getting something other than black (well over many years have had only a couple non black bags, a dark green bag for my ood Oly E10, a red backpack gone now to Goodwill, and my tan Domke F6 which I've long wished was black LOL though the black Domke canvas bags get "dull" with use but not as easily dirty as it gets set on ground a lot).

Diane

D

Darlar

Diane -
It sounds like you've found a good bag already, but if you end up not happy with it I recommend looking at the bags made by Rickshaw Bags in San Francisco. I've got their special edition "DODObag" sold by DODOcase (wonderful moleskine style iPad case), which is Rickshaw's Zero Small messenger. It is just big enough for my EP2, a few odds and ends, an extra lens or two, and my iPad. The Zero Medium would probably carry everything you'd like it to.

Rickshaw has a wide variety of colors, but the black DODObag has a very cool look about it. I've got a 15" Domke wrap in the mail, and I'm planning on using that to protect the camera and/or extra lens that I'll carry around. Otherwise, its a minimalist bag that won't dwarf anyone or look like its carrying a small fortune in gear.