The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 3D images

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

I'm currently looking into 3D photography.
I've come along a software called StereoImageMaker, that is both free, and works quite well.

I've gone through my stock of 2D shots, looking for some to work up to 3D, and did some first tests.

Here's some results, that I am quite happy with. They are "encoded" as R/C anaglyphs, so, you'll need R/C specs to see the effect.

Weather and light permitting, I'm going out for some real 3D shooting today !

I'm looking forward to your tips and tricks, and to your images here !

Have a nice sunday,
Rafael​

f6cvalkyrie

Well, the weather wasn't very fine, but I still got outside for a few shots in real 3D (2 shots)

I'm really impressed by the simplicity of the R/C anaglyph process and the results obtained !

Both shots with G1 and 14-45mm, handheld
R/C specs needed to view the result

Have fun,
Rafael​

H

hawaiigent

Fun, agred but not successful samples of 3-D, sorry to have to say that

I have two pairs of genuine two color glasses that I use to watch anaglyph photos. I honest to gosh tried them both on your images and the results were not satisfactory.
The first couple show no spatial separation at all..1) Did you start with separate images spaced about eye distance apart?
If you used a single camera, are you sure that the images aligned vertically one is way off and impossible to "fuse." One image looks way higher than the other and may be a problem in using Stereo Photo Maker. No, I have not used this freeware myself. I have a MAC and don't want to partition my drive just for this one software. ( Yes, I expect we are going to get a MAC version of this one of these years..)

I refer you to this site where others are using SPM in all its flavors. As well as the dedicated Fuji W-3 camera with fixed eye spacing and alignment.
Link to user help group follows, sir...lots of good ideas in there, takes some digging however...I wish you well, criticism notwithstanding..

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/photo-3d/messages

I offer this thought as a long time stereo shooter, mostly using processes other than the anaglyph method. Which I do not much care for. Retinal rivalry and all that. I actually would prefer the side by side method which preserves the original color.
Use of a simple slide bar is also a great way to get reliable images to incorporate into anaglyph form, Manfrotto has a budget priced one, used mostly as a focus rail, but that is another long digression, not for this thread. PS. Avoid the so called 3-D lens made by Panasonic for GH camera. It is junk from all reports!

I wish you very well in your experiments with single camera 3-D and aloha nui loa,

Gerry on island of Oahu.

H

hawaiigent

Rafael, friendly suggest, you do to need to work on the alignment of the images for any useful anaglyph viewing. Some are really out of whack IMO.
The flattie conversions also do not show any depth effect, at least to my eyes. . HInt: A slide bar, (Manfrotto makes a low cost one that also subs as a focus rail), will also help some to get a good measured image spacing and vertical alignment for the software to work with, vs freehand...methinks.
As others have noted,the Panasonic 3-D lens is not a very useful item so ignore that accesory.
Everyone tries single lens stereo 3D at least once. Why not.
In the event my other post does not get up for you, at risk of repitition, here is a link to user group where you can get TONS of help with Stereo Photo Maker. I never used it, not made for MAC as you know, but someday....

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/photo-3d/messages

Good luck and best wishes on your 3-D experiments.

f6cvalkyrie

Thank you for all the advice, hawaiigent !
I've asked to join the yahoo group, I'm waiting for the mod approval.

Further, I've made a new shot, on tripod and using a focusing rail that I normally use in macro setups.

Here's the result. Am I heading in the right direction ?

Have a nice day,
Rafael

kds315

Well, I'm more into flowers and prefer cossed eye viewing...

Gentiana, UV-VIS differential

H

hawaiigent

Well Klaus, I can do cross eye or parallel eye. The gentian is a good subject. The stamen has some moderate degree of depth. My suggestion is that you need to use the distance to interocular formula (which I forget now) to get a little more spacing of your stereo pairs. Wish I had it in my head. Do check the same mentiond forum in Yahoo.
Interesting how we are all getting back into 3-D. I look for a 4/3 entry from Panasonic within two years,a real serious stereo entry, got to happen...not the silly lens they tossed out to the world...
Myself, heck I can never resist a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue in 2 D or 3-D or color anaglyph or whatever.
Aloha, Gerry

f6cvalkyrie

You're lucky, Gerry, I can't. My head gets all dizzy (might also be the boose from last night :confused:).

These are shot yesterday during lunchbreak, G1 with Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 on tripod with slider.

C U,
Rafael

H

hawaiigent

The color separations are a little iffy, FYI and not sure why, Rafael...
I own two pair of solid frame anaglyph glasses I bought at the 2004 National Stereoscopic Association convention in Portland. This is our big national 3-D bunch you see...
One pair is by this outfit:

www.anachrome.com

The second glass pair which is more of a red blue variation is labeled Proview by a California firm that also sells anaglyph spectacles.

Now I am thinking-maybe just maybr- the SPM software is calibrated to a different complimentary pair than either of my two color glasses. Which means you can tweak it to your own standard...if there is a standard for shade of green or blue or red if you know what i am thinking.(For instance the rose colorec blur under one of the images on bottom pair is totally extinguished in one color pair with one eye which causes a disturbing effect, a rivalry of eyeballs).
The other thing, if feedback is still in order, is this suggestion. When you play with macro , keep the planes fairly close together and try r not to have out of focus background. It is really hard and requires a small f opening and sometimes some supplemetal illumination. The Why is more than I can describe in this paragraph. Except that it becomes disturbing in 3-D while not so in 2-D where it is almost de riguer. A different concept 3-D than 2-D that will take some time for stereo shooters to latch on to.. and most may never get it of course a different mindset in fact....
Do follow some of the links to flower anaglyph macros on Yahoo group and you will see some whopping great flower shot samples to display what I refer to. 3-D is a good area for micro 4/3 for obvious reasons. If we need two lenses and two sensor,we sure aint going to do it with a Canon heavy metal camera...gs

Aloha nui loa,

gerry

f6cvalkyrie

Thanks for your comments, Gerrie, they definitely are still in order !
For the two "macro" shots, I used a separation that was only 1/2 of the 6 cm I normally use. Weather permitting (it's still winter here), I'll do it again with different separations.

Also, while adjusting, I find that sometimes, in preview mode, the 3D image looks perfectly aligned, but then, in the final mode, it looks way of, sometimes in two different directions in different parts of the image. A problem of the SPM software ? Or just my still poor shooting/PP technique ?

Still, if the weather allows, I'll be out again this afternoon. I'll try and do some non-close-ups, which seem easier.

Have a nice day,
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

I did some more shooting today, on tripod and focusing rail.
I used less displacement as the focusing distance become shorter,
from 1.5 cm for the least to 6 cm for the longest.

Here's some results !

All shot with G1 and Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8

Looking forward to your comments !!!

Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

Today is a lovely sunny day in Belgium, so I went for a shoot in our well known park.
Shooting exclusively 3D, G1 with 14-45 kit lens, on tripod with focusing rail.

Here's a first bunch !

Comments appreciated !

C U
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

I have today received a Loreo Pixi 3D Viewer, so I'm experimenting with side by side images now.

Here's a pic that I would be glad to receive comments on.
I can see the 3D effect, but with much more difficulty than when viewing anaglyphs.

C U,
Rafael​

ggibson

Personally, I'm a cross-eye viewer :poke:

I can do wall-eye, but it's much harder for me to see large images like that. Looks nice though :D

f6cvalkyrie

I'm more used now to the side by side viewing, and indeed, the results look nicer to me. Especially that colour remains unaffected.

Still, here's the side by side and the anaglyph version of a close-up shot I made earlier today.

Comments appreciated !

C U
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

Today, I received the Loreo 3D 9005 lens from HongKong.
:bugeyes: It's not a nice look on the G1 :bugeyes:

Here's a funny selfportrait :D

C U,
Rafael