The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a fast, longish old lens ...

Godfrey

... Whattya think?
Cute if you like working wood and building things, but nowhere near as fast in the field and convenient as a Manfrotto 334B Automatic Monopod. I don't have a woodshop, don't have the time to run around finding the right pieces, crafting a design, etc.

If I do all that, I'm in danger of taking up woodworking, not photography. ;-)

DHart

As Godfrey mentions, if you have the time, skill, and desire to make it yourself... sure, should work fine. As for myself, I'd much prefer to buy what I need and be done with it. And no, I don't think amazing engineering is "necessary" for a monopod, but from that standpoint, is the amazing engineering of that head necessary then either? I think it's nice to have, if you can swing it.

Godfrey

Automatic? How is it automatic? Break it down bro.
Manfrotto labels the extension/locking mechanism in this monopod as "automatic". It's a three-section pole. Squeeze the grip, slide the column to the height you want (upper section moving), loosen your grip, it's locked: "Automatic". Very fast in operation and great in the field for sports and such. The lower section of the monopod is a twist, pull, twist back style extension locking mechanism.

I don't make up the name... ;-)

Tesselator

Hehehe, yeah, some of the names these guys come up with... :D

This would work in the field nearly identical to the wooden one. Actually I think the wooden one would be faster - if it's speed a person is concerned with. It's only one section so no bottom to mess with. And like a bicycle's seat-post clamping lever bolt, ya just lift the leaver and the thing extends to the ground and then fold the lever and you're in business. (Not the one's pictured above, but in my design....)

I want a built-in anti-gravity pod! Half press the camera button and you're stabilized in reverse gravity! :D

Godfrey

That's a similar model to what I have. Mine is the cheaper, non "Neotec" version I pointed to above

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554095-REG/Manfrotto_334B_334B_Automatic_Monopod_Black.html

(Actually, I think it's this model's predecessor, before the changed the numbering scheme again.)

Sorry, but no pod that I have to reach down to the clamp, unlock and relock is going to be faster than squeezing the trigger, sliding the camera an inch or three up or down, and letting go of the trigger. Can't be.

Godfrey

Olympus E-1 + Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8
ISO 200 @ f/4 @ 1/4000 second

Click the photo above and you'll be on the Flickr.com page for this photo. There's another link to a larger version of this image there.

My new-old Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8 lens is doing me well. I was out on my walk this morning with it fitted to the E-1, photographing landscape and trees, when this huge white crane drifted into view.

Who says you need C-AF or AF at all? Or even fast sequence capture? I refocused and caught three frames of it, all very sharp. Go to the large image and take a look at its eye ... :)

Thanks for looking, comments appreciated.

DHart

Godfrey.... that's an amazingly beautiful image! And especially impressive that you were skilled enough with manual focus on a legacy lens to capture it. Wonderful job.

Godfrey

Godfrey.... that's an amazingly beautiful image! And especially impressive that you were skilled enough with manual focus on a legacy lens to capture it. Wonderful job.
Thank you for the compliment!

And with an 8 year old, 5Mpixel camera too. The old E-1 still has a lot of life in it... ];-)

Godfrey

follow-up:

I liked this BGN grade Nikkor-H 85/1.8 so much I went ahead and ordered an EXC condition one from KEH yesterday. Just arrived yesterday: I'm very happy with it. It cost me a little less than what the cost of the BGN grade plus a full CLA would have.

A lens of this quality for the pittance this one cost me ... amazing. :) It really is the near-perfect long lens for my purposes.