The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pop Photo review of GH2

peterb

Hey Lumix fans, Pop Photo just published its review of the GH2.

The short: for the most part they raved about it. It received an awesome value (according to Pop Photo) of noise at its lowest ISO (1.1 for EXTREMELY low). Alas, like previous G's after 400 things turn ugly.

Resolution according to PP beat out Nikon's D7000 and Pentax K5 (also reviewed in the issue). I'm gonna guess that's at 4:3. So other aspect ratios may vary. (Somehow I don't think the GH2's 3:2 will beat the Nikon or K5 here but it's probably pretty close).

The EVF and CDAF also were well regarded. Still some issues with the blackout, while improved, during continuous shooting.

They liked the overall design (like Michael Reichmann did in LL) and gave it high marks for controls and access.

All in all not too shabby. A good read.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This just reflects what I can say about the GH2, which I shoot with kit zoom since almost 2 months now.

A great camera, superb controls, stunning resolution and IQ and totally unexpected almost perfect high ISO performance. Plus it does Full HD video like no other cam today!

emr

A great camera, superb controls, stunning resolution and IQ and totally unexpected almost perfect high ISO performance. Plus it does Full HD video like no other cam today!
It's interesting that people can have so different impressions. After having owned one for just a couple of weeks I realized I did not feel for it. Really nothing wrong, but it just didn't click. I think the build quality was OK, but not great relative to the camera's price. Coming from (and staying with) Pentax, the UI felt pretty confusing and complex. Video's obviously great, but contrary to my plans it turned out I did not really shoot video that much. Not so sure of the IQ as I did not really have a chance to test it properly. The 14-140mm zoom was too slow aperture-wise to shoot indoors during the winter and it was mostly just too cold to go outside. But with the zoom, I found the camera not a great indoors one. Of course a 20mm f/1.7 lens would have helped a lot.

Anyway, this is just a great example how there are many good cameras, but not every camera is meant for everybody.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's interesting that people can have so different impressions. After having owned one for just a couple of weeks I realized I did not feel for it. Really nothing wrong, but it just didn't click. I think the build quality was OK, but not great relative to the camera's price. Coming from (and staying with) Pentax, the UI felt pretty confusing and complex. Video's obviously great, but contrary to my plans it turned out I did not really shoot video that much. Not so sure of the IQ as I did not really have a chance to test it properly. The 14-140mm zoom was too slow aperture-wise to shoot indoors during the winter and it was mostly just too cold to go outside. But with the zoom, I found the camera not a great indoors one. Of course a 20mm f/1.7 lens would have helped a lot.

Anyway, this is just a great example how there are many good cameras, but not every camera is meant for everybody.
Fully agree! I could bring at least 10 examples for that out of the back of my head instantly.

BTW I had these issues with the K5 - funny right? Up to the point that I returned it after a few weeks and bought the GH2 ..... which I like!

Diane B

How true. Being a long time Canon shooter and the last number of years with a FF I was not overly optimistic when I bought the G1 over 2 years ago. I had been through a Rebel for my "small" cam and sold it but was still on a small cam quest that was "good enough" for most travel/light hiking shooting. I was sure I wouldn't like an EVF but could handle it for my general style of shooting. Had I not tried the G1 and then added the GF1 I would not even consider the GH2 but now its on my wish list and I find I shoot very little with my Canon and just love m4/3. Its almost always right for me now that I'm not shooting commercially at all and not usually printing over 13 x 19. You couldn't have told me that 2.5 years ago.

Unless a different body comes out with better specs for me I will soon be adding my name to those that are on a list(s).

Diane

DHart

Emr.. Addressing your comments about IQ, the 14-140 being too slow to shoot outdoors during the winter and the 14-140 not being good indoors...

Check this out: GH2, 14-140 lens, shot indoors, window light behind subject, no windows behind me, ISO 2500, lens at FULL EXTENSION (35mm equiv of 280mm!), HAND HELD GRAB SHOT AT A PARTY AT 1/15 second.

No PP except conversion and slight cropping

And with a very slight amount of noise reduction applied

The 14-140 lens on the GH2 is amazing. Again, this was a grab shot at a party, 280mm equiv., hand held at 1/15 sec. ISO 2500. This lens reliably stabilizes 1/15 sec at full telephoto extension repeatedly. Amazing, I think. Not a replacement for the 20/1.7 under very dim conditions, but certainly capable of shooting outdoors in winter or indoors at a party.

emr

Is that hand-held? I couldn't even get sharp pictures wide open and auto ISO.

EDIT: Sorry, saw it was hand-held. Strange. I assume that you have more light indoors.

DHart

yes, hand held. This lens has reliably stabilized for a sharp image indoors at 1/15 sec at full telephoto. The OIS is superbly effective. Awesome lens with a fantastic 10x range (28 to 280)

C

curious80

Well in any cases lenses like 14-140 are not optimal for low light work any more than the 18-200mm lenses on canon/nikon/pentax etc, so not really a great idea to judge the camera based on that :) I have only handled a GH2 for a few minutes and really liked the fact that it had very quick CDAF even using the relatively slow focusing 20mm 1.7 lens in pretty low light.

DHart

Well in any cases lenses like 14-140 are not optimal for low light work any more than the 18-200mm lenses on canon/nikon/pentax etc, so not really a great idea to judge the camera based on that :) I have only handled a GH2 for a few minutes and really liked the fact that it had very quick CDAF even using the relatively slow focusing 20mm 1.7 lens in pretty low light.
curious... yes, the camera should be judged independently of any particular lens. And while no one would bill the 14-140 specifically as a "low light" lens, I'm astounded at how effective the OIS is in the lens. It's a great lens with a wonderful 10x optical range and amazing OIS! That's why it's not an inexpensive lens.