The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Eliminated lens-corroding fungus

RichA

I picked up an old WW2 telescope lens in a brass mount at an antique sale. The lens had fungus which had apparently eaten into the lens. Would not come off with methyl alcohol, acetone or lens-cleaning fluid. So I tried some Peek metal polish. It worked! The lens hadn't been corroded, but the fungus had gone rock hard and had to be polished off. The lens is now clean. This lens had no coatings, it's possible doing this to a lens with coatings would effect or abrade it.

slosync

I picked up an old WW2 telescope lens in a brass mount at an antique sale. The lens had fungus which had apparently eaten into the lens. Would not come off with methyl alcohol, acetone or lens-cleaning fluid. So I tried some Peek metal polish. It worked! The lens hadn't been corroded, but the fungus had gone rock hard and had to be polished off. The lens is now clean. This lens had no coatings, it's possible doing this to a lens with coatings would effect or abrade it.
Thanks for that information Rick. :bugeyes: I had tried cleaning my old Oly H. Zuiko lens with the same kind of fungus problem with no success. This sounds like something worth trying since the lens is currently a paperweight. :cry:

I wonder if any other folks have had any success stories?

Even if it cleans the fungus off, the lens glass would likely be damaged by the cleaning process I would think. I ordered a tube of the Peek metal cleaner.... No harm in trying.

Cheers,
Don