The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

heads up: Olympus E-5 updated firmware available

Godfrey

Olympus released a minor update firmware v1.1 for the E-5 yesterday. I think they also updated one of the Pen models too, didn't look too closely.

For the E-5, the update is supposed to affect something about the LCD display quality, but exactly what I'm not entirely sure. I never noticed anything wrong. I do make it a policy to keep firmware up to date.

For Mac OS X users who have enabled the 64bit kernel on their systems, I found that the (utterly miserable) Olympus Updater application required to update the Olympus camera firmware is not 64-bit compatible. No notice of this is in any of the compatibility requirements, etc, on the download page. I restarted my system in 32-bit mode (using the one-time "press and hold the '3' and '2' keys while the system powers up), it did its job (with virtually no sensible feedback), then restarted my system back into 64bit mode as normal when it was done.

I don't know whether 64bit mode on Windows XP or Windows 7 are compatible.

So far, I see no difference in the operation of my E-5, so I have no clue whether this was actually worth the effort. Given the aggravation with the stupid Olympus software and the fact that the E-5 works just about perfectly as it came right out of the box, I might forego doing future firmware updates. Their "you must use our miserable software if you want a firmware update" policy is the only thing I don't like about using Olympus equipment.

Grr.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Godfrey,

I did the update on my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard installed and had no issues. Maybe you need to update your updater?

WRT FW 1.1 I do not notice any changes as well ...

PS: So far loving my E5 although I only can use it in the moment with an old Zuiko 3.5/50 Macro via adapter, as my lenses have not been delivered yet. But even with that lens the results are outstanding!

Godfrey

Godfrey,

I did the update on my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard installed and had no issues. Maybe you need to update your updater?

WRT FW 1.1 I do not notice any changes as well ...

PS: So far loving my E5 although I only can use it in the moment with an old Zuiko 3.5/50 Macro via adapter, as my lenses have not been delivered yet. But even with that lens the results are outstanding!
I did update the Olympus Updater, just before attempting to use it last evening as a matter of fact.

What that means is that you don't have the 64-bit kernel enabled as the default, the OS is running on the 32bit kernel.

You can tell if you are running on the 64bit kernel by opening the System Profiler applicaton, clicking on "Software" in the left column, and looking for
"64-bit Kernel and Extensions:" Yes/No will follow it.

MacBook Pro models do not ship with the 64bit kernel enabled by default, they normally run on the 32bit kernel. See
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773 for more details.

I found an additional increment of performance when I configured my systems (both current model Mini and MacBook Pro 13" 8G, 2.6-2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo 2s) to default to the 64bit kernel in Mac OS X v10.6.6.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Godfrey!

You are right! I was running in 32 bit mode. Switched to 64 bit mode but then some of my applications are not running - argh ....

need to work on that!

Peter

Godfrey

Thanks Godfrey!

You are right! I was running in 32 bit mode. Switched to 64 bit mode but then some of my applications are not running - argh ....

need to work on that!
Apple ships these systems with the 32bit kernel default for precisely that reason: there are lots of things that are not yet 64bit capable. By and large, I've summarily deleted all such software that didn't work as there are alternatives which I prefer now that do work, and work better.

What annoys me about the Olympus Updater is that I must use it to update firmware on Olympus cameras. Every other manufacturer knows how to deliver a download package that auto-installs on the camera itself, Olympus is the only one now requiring that I use their shoddily designed and poorly maintained software just to run the update.

If I wasn't so satisfied with the cameras and lenses, this nonsense could drive me to look at other options all by itself.

M

Mark Tabacco

For those E-5 owners who may be experiencing problems with upgrading the firmware to version 1.1 via a PC using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit edition.

I just performed it sucessfully on my Sony VAIO VGN-Z36GD using the following steps and settings.

Before attempting a firmware upgrade on your Olympus E-5.
Olympus recommends:
(i) Removing memory cards from the SD and CF slots.
(ii) Using a fully charged battery in the E-5.

You also need the latest version of Olympus Viewer (version 1.11) and Olympus Digital Camera Software (V1.0 - December 2010) installed on your PC. You can download them from the Olympus website for your country.

1. Boot PC and wait for Windows 7 to load. Make sure internet connection is available.

2. Temporarily Disable Internet Security software.

3. Connect the Olympus supplied USB cable to the E-5 and the PC USB ports.
Note: E-5 USB mini port is located on the left side of the camera.
Pull down the rub flap from top. Middle input. Count three from top or bottom.

4. Turn on the Olympus E-5.
On the 3.0 inch swivel LCD screen the USB menu will appear.

5. Select "Storage" as the USB connection mode.

6. Then press "OK" on the Olympus E-5 control panel.

7. Load Olympus Viewer Software (v 1.11) on PC.

8. Trigger the firmware update.
Under the "Camera" menu. Select "Update Camera" option.
Note: This loads the Olympus Camera Updater program.
A dialogue box appears prompting you to continue.

9. Click Next.
The Camera Update dialogue box will appear.

10. Select the E-5 version 1.1 firmware upgrade.

Note: Process takes about 2 minutes to complete.
After inititating the firmware upgrade.
Three "Install" in progress icons will appear on the 3.0 inch LCD of the E-5.
Wait until these icons are replaced by an "OK" icon.

Firmware upgrade is now completed.

To check the E-5 was successfully upgraded to firmware version 1.1.

11. Unplug the USB cable.
12. Press the "Menu" button on the E-5.
13. Scroll down to the "Configuration" menu.
Using the down arrow on the selector pad.
Note: Icon looks like a wrench.
14. Press "Ok" button in the middle of the E-5 selector pad.
15. Scroll down to the "firmware" sub-menu.
16. Press "Ok" button, again.
Firmware version should read body 1.1.