The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No más 4/3rds after E-5....

ricseet

E5 Bested by GH2!

Hi Raist, kindly share with us the facts that the E5 is bested by the GH2?

cheers

ric

Then I am not sure why you are reacting so defensively if you don't care.

Except for the obvious E-5 hyperbole that not everyone agrees with (not sure how the E-5 can be that high mark given it has a 3 year old sensor, even bested by a GH2), I actually said this. Read carefully.

- Raist

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Everyone time out and take a deep breath here.

I read this thread this AM and was going to comment then. The orginal post did point out the slides about what Oly was doing (these slides have been on a number of internet sites over the weekend) but all the verbiage around it was positive about keeping lens, that the pro spec pen to be something good.

Somewhere along the way it got derailed to be a negative thread and I don't believe that was the intent. So, everyone lets cool off.
Never mind the blood, Terry. It's all good fun :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here is a very important quote from the Olympus presentation where the slides above were shown:

"We see the mirrorless system as the future of digital photography. In 5-10 years reflex cameras will be a niche or will not be there at all. So we believe that PEN in the long run will also be in the professional market – but that will take maybe 2-3 years. In 2011 you will see more PEN products and more lenses (beyond what was discussed in the presentation)."

That of course make Canikon's lack of action in this area even more interesting. Nikon and Pentax are in a particularly awkward position, since there are still lenses with a mechanical AF interface being sold.

raist3d

Raist,
You are missing a few very important points:

- Hardly any potential E-5 customers are interested in hearing yet again that 4/3 will be discontinued, the sensor is to small/old/noisy, Olympus is losing money/going bankrupt, the E-5 focuses slowly in low light, Pentax makes a better camera body etc. We all know this now, but some of us still believe that the E-5 or some other 4/3 camera are viable options for our photography.
I am sorry but looks like some people are from the e-mails I get asked about or thanks for putting things in perspective for some prospective buyers. I am afraid you don't speak for such set of the market.

- When film was the dominant medium for photography, the most important components needed to take a good photo were 1. The photographer 2. The lens 3. The film 4. The camera. This is still true. Some of us believe that Olympus makes some of the best lenses available for photography, only equaled by the likes of Leica an Zeiss. When it comes to zoom lenses, this is certainly true. No sensor technology can change that fact.
Of course the most important thing is the photographer. That's why I also like posting pictures and a link to a small ever growing portfolio! I have always said that. Pentax makes some of the best primes out there. There are other options. Zeiss makes lenses for Sony, Pentax, Canon and I believe Nikon mounts.

- Most photos are taken during daylight at relatively low ISO. Under those circumstances, Olympus cameras deliver files that for me requires much less post processing than what my Nikon cameras do.
Again you should speak for yourself. That's you. And you know, I have said many times that the E-5 is fantastic at low ISO. What exactly did I miss?

There may be the odd blown highlight, some shadow noise and the E-1 files lack resolution for really big enlargements, but somehow, my clients don't seem to care. When correctly exposed, even the E-1 delivered files at ISO800 that was perfectly usable for commercial purposes. Most of the time, I don't need more than that.
Then for your needs seems like a great match. I think I mentioned that in another thread.

- All camera systems have weaknesses, but none seem to attract as many doomsday prophets as Olympus. It has been like that since the OM-1 and possibly before. It seems to annoy those who use other camera brands that they still survive, in spite of making cameras that sometimes seem to defy the "Rules of Canikon".
I think all the minor brands always attract doomsday prophets. But I don't understand what is so doomsday about what I posted. If you could please help me understand how my original post is a doomsday post I would greatly appreciate it.

- As has been pointed out several times, Olympus, Panasonic and Sony are so far the only camera manufacturers that offer a transition between old, mechanical and new electronic camera technology. The fact that the E-5 is probably the last fully mechanical DSLR from Olympus is a natural consequence of that. Somehow, that is now played against Olympus even if it's a proof that Olympus is at the leading edge of camera technology. Canikon are the ones trailing behind, and at the moment, they seem to be surprisingly detached.
Who in this thread is playing that against Olympus? Not me certainly. Could you please point to me where I did that?

I participate on this forum to discuss ways of improving my photography and to find what camera equipment suits my needs the best. Hearing for the umpteenth time that Olympus is not a viable option because in theory, it's dead already, doesn't contribute much. It's typical for the situation that on most 4/3 fora, here and elsewhere, the top pro Zuiko lenses are hardly ever discussed, in spite of the fact that, in most cases, they are superior to their Canikon equivalents.
Where exactly I said Olympus is not a viable option for photography? The only thing I told you specifically- and I consider that a favor- is to make sure the 14-35 lens you seem about to buy fulfills your needs because it does have the moderate low light / low light AF issue. That shouldn't equate to a doomsday statement or the fall of Olympus. I think the lens is fantastic, I only mention that as something to watch for. If that is not an issue for you due to you do daylight shooting or do MF, great!

As a Nikon user the last 6 years, owning 4 different F-mount bodies at the moment, it puzzles me to observe that every time I use an Olympus or Panasonic camera, I feel more at home ergonomically and produce image files that are more usable straight from the camera than with most of my F-mount bodies (the S3 being the exception, but then we are talking about a camera that really has issues).

So please stop telling me that 4/3 will be discontinued and that the E-5 has an old sensor. I, and most other candidates for that camera, know that already, and it doesn't affect our photos one single bit.
The only thing I was telling you is the 14-35. The mention of the old sensor is because someone mentioned the E-5 presents this super high mark in photography which you would expect a camera in that category would get the right sensor too. I am not telling you specifically anything other than the 14-35 warning- and that looks like the E-5 will be a great match for you.

How is this translated into me making a doomsday statement about Olympus is simply something I am all ears if you can clarify.

- Raist

raist3d

Here is a very important quote from the Olympus presentation where the slides above were shown:

"We see the mirrorless system as the future of digital photography. In 5-10 years reflex cameras will be a niche or will not be there at all. So we believe that PEN in the long run will also be in the professional market – but that will take maybe 2-3 years. In 2011 you will see more PEN products and more lenses (beyond what was discussed in the presentation)."

That of course make Canikon's lack of action in this area even more interesting. Nikon and Pentax are in a particularly awkward position, since there are still lenses with a mechanical AF interface being sold.
Of course, just because that's what Olympus says in a marketing presentation it necessarily and surely means that it is 100% correct, and therefore any other kind of camera type is completely and utterly doomed :)

- Raist

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Of course, just because that's what Olympus says in a marketing presentation it necessarily and surely means that it is 100% correct, and therefore any other kind of camera type is completely and utterly doomed :)

- Raist
If it was only Olympus, I wouldn't pay notice either, but Sony, Panasonic and Samsung are following the same direction. None of those three have long traditions in the camera industry, but within the electronics industry (even canon is less than half the size of Samsung, and Nikon is... a dwarf), which is what the camera business has become a part of, each of them are very large, and have the resources to tell the average consumer what is right and what is wrong. If it is really right or wrong isn't really important, as long as this new "truth" serves the purposes of the electronic giants and their shareholders.

This is the challenge Canon, Nikon and Pentax are facing; fight them or join them. If I was a shareholder with Nikon, I think I know what I would vote for.

Interestingly, Nikon has just launched the f/1.4 primes that they should have launched more than 5 years ago, each of them weighing more than a GH2 with a 20mm f/1.7. They are great lenses of course, but great for who?
for those who otherwise might need f/0.7 on mFT

raist3d

Nice place you got with the arrangement with the lake. I like it. In fact, if you are nearby that place, I would go back when it's stormy/cloudy and try that in B&W. Or muted. Would be also very interesting.

- Raist

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
you need 300/4 on FF camera... not 300/2.8... yawn.
Only if the 300/4 is as sharp wide open as the Zuiko 150/2, and only if the noise level of the 5DII is as low at ISO 3200 as the E-5 at ISO 800. And if you have a Nikon, the 300/4 doesn't have VR, so you would need to up the ISO to... let's say 12,800, to compensate for the shorter shutter speed needed. And Sony doesn't have a 300/4 at all.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice place you got with the arrangement with the lake. I like it. In fact, if you are nearby that place, I would go back when it's stormy/cloudy and try that in B&W. Or muted. Would be also very interesting.

- Raist
Good idea. I will go there during the monsoon season.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
for those who otherwise might need f/0.7 on mFT
None of those Nikkor primes have VR. All primes have IS when mounted on an Olympus m4/3 camera. That's at least two stops. If you need shallow DOF, there's always the Voigtländer 25/0.95 and 50/1.1. And all of those lenses cost the half or less of the f/1.4 Nikkors (except the 50/1.4).

There's always a solution. Only pessimists look for limitations.

I don't say that those Canon and Nikkor lenses are bad or obsolete. As long as I don't have to carry them or pay for them, they're just fine.

Only if the 300/4 is as sharp wide open as the Zuiko 150/2, and only if the noise level of the 5DII is as low at ISO 3200 as the E-5 at ISO 800. And if you have a Nikon, the 300/4 doesn't have VR, so you would need to up the ISO to... let's say 12,800, to compensate for the shorter shutter speed needed. And Sony doesn't have a 300/4 at all.
I will take 12mp of D3s vs your 12mp of E5... and then I might actually live w/ 300/5.6 :D w/ bigger DOF and yet have cleaner ISO at 3 stops higher... if the cost of the camera is an issue - old D700 will do at 2 stops higher.

None of those Nikkor primes have VR. All primes have IS when mounted on an Olympus m4/3 camera. That's at least two stops.
to shoot moving targets ? static targets hand held w/ such big lens ? mostly will be on a tripod so your vr point is moot

If you need shallow DOF, there's always the Voigtländer 25/0.95
that will be 50/2.0 on FF... OK 50/1.8... USD $50 for MF or so.

and 50/1.1.
105/2....

now find me analog of FF 35/1.4 in your twicely cropped realm when you need that, for any money