The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pen Pro in 2-3 years

DavidL

Q: What can you tell us about the future "PEN Pro" you mentioned in your presentation?

A: We see the mirrorless system as the future of digital photography. In 5-10 years reflex cameras will be a niche or will not be there at all. So we believe that PEN in the long run will also be in the professional market – but that will take maybe 2-3 years. In 2011 you will see more PEN products and more lenses (beyond what was discussed in the presentation).

From this interview http://www.megapixel.co.il/english/archive/14631

Riley

I guess in that time they will have 3 more Pens not much different from the ones we have now then
kinda boring isnt it...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I guess in that time they will have 3 more Pens not much different from the ones we have now then
kinda boring isnt it...
I'm not so sure about that. A pro Pen will probably something similar to the E-5 or E-1. We might still get something the size of a GH2 before that, to replace cameras like the E-620.

Godfrey

I'm not so sure about that. A pro Pen will probably something similar to the E-5 or E-1. We might still get something the size of a GH2 before that, to replace cameras like the E-620.
A "Pen Pro" could return us to the size of the E-1 (the E-3/E-5 is larger in the pentaprism area to get the brightness and magnification we wanted... :) and a thinner body since we no longer need a mirror. I'm looking forward to it!

In the meanwhile, I'm in love with the E-5.

Riley

I am being a bit sarcastic but I just dont have much faith in retro-micro and think they should be avoiding 'pro' semi-pro' type tags. After what 4 models they all have a certain 'sameness' to me, and not a sameness I can aspire to, but maybe thats just me....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But what's to worry about? There are still cameras like the GH2 and the E-5 available, two of the best cameras on the market today if you ask me.

clay stewart

I predict that when the EP5 comes out, Godfrey will buy it, then Olympus will move on to full frame.:ROTFL: Just kidding.:) It would be nice to see some small weather tight rangefinder type cameras and lenses, with built in EVF's though.

soboyle

The E-P cameras are a great form factor, esp for travel shooting. Just hoping the E-P3 will include an EVF, and get a bit better with noise. Sounds like we will see one this year. I'm finding myself favoring the E-P1 over my 5D2 on all but critical shoots. I also like the Olympus color better than Canons.

Godfrey

I am being a bit sarcastic but I just dont have much faith in retro-micro and think they should be avoiding 'pro' semi-pro' type tags. After what 4 models they all have a certain 'sameness' to me, and not a sameness I can aspire to, but maybe thats just me....
Who said anything about retro? or anything else like it?

I didn't care that a bazillion camera designs came and went between when I bought my Nikon F3 and the digital universe dawned. It did the job I wanted.

The E-5 is doing it now, the current Pens do a nice job as the lighter-weight, smaller form factor, less expensive alternative for when the pro-grade camera isn't needed. They could make all of them forever as far as I'm concerned, I'll keep using them until my needs change and I need something different.

When Olympus comes out with a "Pro Pen", it will be a camera that can replace the E-5's capabilities and position in the line up.

Fer gosh sake, the last thing I want is a bunch of utterly different, unique cameras offered simultaneously to do every job, all positioned to be overlapping in the price/performance/market space. I want the camera to disappear when I'm working, not be a source of constant surprise and uncertain thrills.

Olympus' two lines are clearly differentiated. The fact that there are four similar Pen models currently available is simply a matter of product development timings. It's obvious that the E-P2 supercedes and replaces the E-P1, the E-PL2 superceded and replaces the E-PL2 even though both happen to be available simultaneously right now.

No "Pro Pen" model exists yet. That is yet to come and will supercede/replace the E-5.

Godfrey

I predict that when the EP5 comes out, Godfrey will buy it, then Olympus will move on to full frame.:ROTFL: Just kidding.:) It would be nice to see some small weather tight rangefinder type cameras and lenses, with built in EVF's though.
lol ... If it comes out and replaces the E-5, I expect I will, because it will do a better job. No Olympus replacement for an earlier pro-grade model moved backwards in capability or image quality.

Moving on to another format ... That all depends on a) whether I feel I need it as well as b) whether I can afford it. I prefer the smaller format sensor, frankly, as I prefer the consequent mix of lens speed and depth of field it provides. I think far too much is made of ultra-razor-thin focus zones. Even when I used 35mm film and 6x6 format, I found I usually had to stop down more to achieve enough DoF in many cases. Getting more DoF with a larger lens opening nets more advantage for me.

A light-weight, pro-grade, rangefinder-form factor type camera with built-in EVF and weather sealing would also be nice. Although for interchangeable lens cameras, a 'pure' EVF is likely the only reasonable solution (where oh where is the Panasonic mFT derivative of the L1?) where as with a fixed lens camera, the hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder of the Fuji X100 seems ideal.

biglouis

His predictions do not surprise me. I am now convinced there is no value to optical viewfinders and that EVFs will overtake them (making them redundant) and that smaller form factors and articulated screens will be the norm. I sincerely wish Olympus every success in realising their vision (along with Panasonic!).

LouisB

B

boyzo

I look forward to a so called Pro Pen with or without built in EVF
I rather like the EVF for the Pen series you dont always need one the LVD suffices.
The V-F2 allows rotation for low viewpoints (a built in EVF) cant do this
I guess a Pro Pen with EVF and tiltable LCD would just the thing.

One thing OLy should do on a new Pro body is fix AF speed for old Zuiko 43 lenses.
Oly 43 glass (pro) is great glass

Godfrey

What a nice camera that was!
The A2 sure was a great camera for its time. A little on the busy side, ergonomically, but it had a great range of features and quite a good lens.

Konica Minolta A2
ISO 100 @ f/3.2 @ 1/60 sec, 12mm
©2005 Godfrey DiGiorgi

Dang, just looking at this I know I can reprocess it and make it even nicer now. :)

Michiel Schierbeek

That's the base for the design of the new Nex camera, according to SonyAlpharumors.
I'll wait for that and buy either the new Nex or the GH2.
I am not looking forward to buy a lot of new adapters so the advantages of the new Next should be substantial.

Michiel