The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best macro lens M43

R

rkhndjr

I have a GF1 and 20mm lens. I love macros and wonder what some of you use with that combination for closeups/macros. Nothing real fancy, just where I can get closer than with the 20mm. Thanks

Michiel Schierbeek

According to Vivek (BTW Where is he??) your 20mm makes a perfect macro when turned around with a reverse macro ring. Cheap solution!
Search on the forum and you will find a thread about it.

Michiel

R

rkhndjr

According to Vivek (BTW Where is he??) your 20mm makes a perfect macro when turned around with a reverse macro ring. Cheap solution!
Search on the forum and you will find a thread about it.
Thank you for this nice reply.

Michiel
thanks

pellicle

I have a GF1 and 20mm lens. I love macros and wonder what some of you use with that combination for closeups/macros. Nothing real fancy, just where I can get closer than with the 20mm. Thanks
seriously, any 50mm lens by adaptor and some extension rings

G1 macro setup by obakesan, on Flickr

outstandingly cheap and excellent results

so set up like this:

G1 taking Macro of mini daffodils by obakesan, on Flickr

you get a nice working distance (plenty of living things will bug out when you get too close)

and can take an image like this:

macro Overview by obakesan, on Flickr

and

lp stylus by obakesan, on Flickr

and with only one of the stack of 3 extensions on:

viola (orvokki) by obakesan, on Flickr

slosync

Hi Russ,

To get you started with macros on the GF1 & 20mm you might want to use some 46mm close-up lenses. A +1, +2 and a +4 would give you a lot of combinations for various closeup work with flowers, bees, and such. You can find 46mm closeup lenses at Amazon, B&H, Adorama and the like. Here's a link to a Tiffen 46mm 3 lens kit for around $27 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004ZC8Z/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0012LPEGQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FMF7B168H9760NCY3JG

Pellicle's approach above is great if you have any old DSLR lenses from you earlier days of photography.

The best bet, if you really want to get into some serious macro pictures, would be as described in an earlier post and use the 20mm reversed and then you can look at some insect's eyeballs if you dare.... but then you may also have to utilize a tripod, macro slide and perhaps even some macro lights if you get real serious.

Cheers and all the best to you,
Don

Last edited:

Godfrey

depends what kind of macro you want to do.
read "Closeups In Nature" by John Shaw.

- i have used Olympus ZD 35/3.5 and ZD 50/2 Macro lenses on G1. Both work beautifully for macro work. I have also used the Panasonic/Leica Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 quite a lot: it's the best of the three on these cameras. All of them are quite useful for much more than just macro work. (A 135mm adapted lens on a 25mm extension tube nets a great long-focal length macro lens ...)

- doing lens reversal and adapted lens, you can do anything you want in macro work. 20mm is a bit short for what most people do in macro work these days, though. 50 to 135mm is a better focal length with more working room on small 3D objects (insects, flowers and such).