The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noise tests GH2 compared to Nikon D7000

RichA

Which settings did you use?
RAWs, no modifications. 14 bit setting on the Nikon. Converted in Adobe to digital negatives then converted to JPEGs in CS4. Default Adobe NR turned off, 60 sharpening applied.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Reflects kind of my experiences to with the GH2. I normally do not go above ISO3200 and till that the results (from RAW with LR3.3) are really great and comparable even to Nikon D700. Above that all these cameras show weaker performance but it is really stunning what you can get out of such a small sensor (GH2) with 16MP.

Tesselator

Way too many clicks to get a decent comparison out of any two images there. Too much work. Could you just past a few direct URLs to same ISO comparisons?

Thanks.

pellicle

Way too many clicks to get a decent comparison ...Could you just past a few direct URLs to same ISO comparisons?
that's pretty much how I felt too ... it would be nice to see the results you were looking at when you were comparing things, a few well placed screen snapshots would have been nice.

but thanks for doing what you did

:)

RichA

Way too many clicks to get a decent comparison out of any two images there. Too much work. Could you just past a few direct URLs to same ISO comparisons?

Thanks.
Wasn't sure how the site would feel about images that large. Because of increasing noise (grain) with ISO speed, even the slightly compressed JPEG conversions range from 4.2M to over 10M in size. I can crop some thought.

RichA

Reflects kind of my experiences to with the GH2. I normally do not go above ISO3200 and till that the results (from RAW with LR3.3) are really great and comparable even to Nikon D700. Above that all these cameras show weaker performance but it is really stunning what you can get out of such a small sensor (GH2) with 16MP.
Friend of mine stated that 1600 on either one is quite usable, but a benchmark for all of them might be an 8x10 print. I don't really think anyone is going to print or show the images in the higher ISOs without resorting to NR in some form though.

pellicle

...t a benchmark for all of them might be an 8x10 print. I don't really think anyone is going to print or show the images in the higher ISOs without resorting to NR in some form though.
perhaps ... but then I don't mind the look, and its an interesting test ... I can't do a comparison, but I can do a test.

stay tuned

Last edited: