The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ISO 65,000-ish GH2 experiment

Amin

Just for kicks, I took my GH2 and PL45/2.8 into my son's room last night as he was getting ready to sleep and took a single, manually focused image at f/2.8, 1/10s (handheld), and ISO 12,800. The resulting image was more than 2 stops underexposed, so I pushed it to ~ ISO 65,000 equivalent* during RAW processing in Lightroom and converted to B&W.

The room was flat out dark, and I was surprised that I could even get enough information from the EVF to get a ballpark manual focus. As you can see, the focus point is on the pillow in front of my son.

Anyway, I was just amazed that I could get anything resembling an image at this ISO...

* I shot at ISO 12,800 and then pushed the exposure slider to +2 stops, which is ISO 51,200 equivalent. The resulting image was still dark, so I pushed it further using curves. This second push was probably less than half a stop, hence my estimate of ~ ISO 65,000 equivalent setting.

RichA

ACR6.4 = expose slider to +3EV and certainly resized to match OP dimensions (640px width)
These noise tests at reduced sizes are pretty pointless, unless you only ever intend to post images on a computer or online. Any noise in an image will generally be visible in an 8x10 or larger print. I also notice that because chroma noise (specifically, yellow blotches) becomes visible on 4/3rds images at about 1600 ISO so conversion to black and white is common when presenting images.

Riley

shades of dpr

the image doesn't really show well how much noise is there ... care for something less biased (towards hiding the noise)?

thats the case
when light is a plenty with some diligent processing, pretty much any camera can make a good fist of it

E3, Konica 57/1.2 at f/2, 1/8000th sec, ISO3200

C

curious80

Amin, ignoring the pointless distraction, I think what you have shown here is pretty amazing!

Amin

Amin, ignoring the pointless distraction, I think what you have shown here is pretty amazing!
Thanks, I'm ignoring, I'm ignoring :).

I will note for anyone confused that I was not comparing the GH2 performance to any other camera, only marveling that I could get any image with it under these conditions.

raist3d

Just for kicks, I took my GH2 and PL45/2.8 into my son's room last night as he was getting ready to sleep and took a single, manually focused image at f/2.8, 1/10s (handheld), and ISO 12,800. The resulting image was more than 2 stops underexposed, so I pushed it to ~ ISO 65,000 equivalent* during RAW processing in Lightroom and converted to B&W.

The room was flat out dark, and I was surprised that I could even get enough information from the EVF to get a ballpark manual focus. As you can see, the focus point is on the pillow in front of my son.

Anyway, I was just amazed that I could get anything resembling an image at this ISO...
While I agree (taking out the apparent nasty aspect) that a resized down image will hide a lot of noise, I think it's still nice the GH2 sensor could get some meaningful data to the point of showing what you are showing. I say this because even though resizing down will indeed make your camera look much better and reduce the noise, I have seen how sometimes you just lose so much data that you don't get anything.

But Panasonic as far as I know (maybe they did on the GH2 now) shifts their tone range so that you lose 1 stop in shadow DR, so maybe that's partially why also. UPDATE: I meant to say "*does not shift their tone range*".

But yeah, I would say honestly, showing something at the 1.7-2 megapixel mark (1600x1200/ 1600x1050) is much more meaningful for something I would consider useful. Hope that makes sense.

I think the most important point of your experiment is how resilient the GH2 sensor is to banding, considering how much you pushed it. I think there's hints of bands int there, but nowhere near what some other 4/3rds sensored cameras would band.

- Raist

Last edited:

RichA

The GH2 is a substantial improvement over the other 4/3rds sensor cameras. I would never shoot a dark scene with my G1 and raise the illumination levels by any amount because of gross noise and banding.

larryk

I must have missed the point. I thought the idea of the first photo was to produce a nice grainy B&W image. It succeeded. I don't see what the point would be of creating a flawless image at this high ISO. How often would you need to do that? All you have to do is turn on a light somewhere and reduce the ISO!

RichA

I must have missed the point. I thought the idea of the first photo was to produce a nice grainy B&W image. It succeeded. I don't see what the point would be of creating a flawless image at this high ISO. How often would you need to do that? All you have to do is turn on a light somewhere and reduce the ISO!
Well, I've heard of one photog spending $1M to light an entire town street for a night shot, but that's bit excessive.