The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Micro 4/3 (which one?) or NEX?

AGeoJO

Hi Ken,
Thank you for informing about the aspect ratio. It is a piece of additional information.

Now, I do have a question to both NEX and micro 4/3 users. With the format of your choice and you want to use more than just one lens - do you have to buy the respective number of adapters or can you get away with just one and change the lenses on the adapter side?

Thank you,
Joshua

RonSmith

Joshua, with Leica M and Nikon lenses, you can use one adapter, and just change lenses on the adapter. I have one Nikon adapter, one EOS, but two Ms ... in case I want to use M lenses on two cameras at the same time.

AGeoJO

Thank you, Ron. You can use one adapter for both Nikon and Leica M lenses? I thought that you have to have at least one adapter for each bayonet mount. Or is that what you meant :D? I will be using only Leica-M lenses on whatever it is I will be buying before too long as a "backup" body. I do have DSLR lenses alright but they are too bulky for my travelling light kit.

RonSmith

That was rather ambiguous, wasn't it?

No, you have to have a Nikon-m4/3 adapter for Nikon lenses and a Leica M-m4/3 adapter for Leica lenses.

For the Leicas, I have two, as I sometimes use more than one camera at the same time.

AGeoJO

Yes, one adapter for each bayonet mount. That's taken for granted :D. It is the same when using alternative lenses on Canon body, which I did several years back. And that applies to both micro 4/3 and NEX formats, I assume. Thanks!

pellicle

Eye level is my preference. My Leica lenses are all primes :) but I can handle a zoom or two. I never shot JPG.... What is that LOL? Stabilization on the long end is important and anything else is gravy. GH2, huh?
or if video is inconsequential G1 / G2 ... but you won't get stabilisation with the Panasonic cameras as they are down the lens based methodology.

I found that my G1 was more responsive to things than my GH1 is but only something that most will spot after long use of the G1 and then switching to the GH1 ... I can't speak for the GH2

If stills is your bag then I don't see too much benefit in the GH2 over the G2

AGeoJO

Thanks, Jonathan. I am not seriously into video but I do take video clips here and there on my Canon DSLR. Since it is there, it comes in handy.

I really appreciate all inputs, guys. Since I know more about these camera systems, I will finish taking a look at several online reviews and I will probably pull the trigger this weekend.

Thanks again,
Joshua

snowy

or if video is inconsequential G1 / G2 ... but you won't get stabilisation with the Panasonic cameras as they are down the lens based methodology.

I found that my G1 was more responsive to things than my GH1 is but only something that most will spot after long use of the G1 and then switching to the GH1 ... I can't speak for the GH2

If stills is your bag then I don't see too much benefit in the GH2 over the G2
The GH2 is 16Mpixel while the G1 and G2 are 12. I know resolution isn't everything, but the GH2 is considered to be the best of the bunch at the moment. I use a G1, GF1 and the Sony NEX-5, and used to have a E-P2, and would recommend the Panasonics as being the easiest to use as the menus and buttons seem more logical to me. The Sony has a great screen, especially with the angled movements, but an EVF would make critical focussing much better. The Olympus menus are horrible, and the E-P3 screen was too low res for me - they fixed that with the EPL1 and 2 though.

If I was buying today it would be the GH2 for me.

pellicle

Hi

The GH2 is 16Mpixel while the G1 and G2 are 12. I know resolution isn't everything, but the GH2 is considered to be the best of the bunch at the moment.
agreed ...but as you say pixels and resolution aren't everything, so if the OP happens to feel that the extra $500 or so dollars is better spent on something else (like a lens) then perhaps its worth mentioning ... which is why I did

BTW 4,608 x 3,456 vs 4000 x 300 .. 16 sounds like 30% more than 12 but then it resolution and print size doesn't go up in the same way as the MP count does (4608's only around 15% more width)

If I was buying today it would be the GH2 for me.
as an ex-G1 owner and current GH2 owner I may go the other way and go for the G2 (or a good G1) as personally I don't use video much nor need more resolution or pixels than I have already ... of course that's just my input ... YMMV

seakayaker

. . . . . for me today it is the Leica M9 with the GF1 with the following lens being used on either camera, Leica Elmar 24/3.8; Voigtlander 28/1.9; Leitz Summaron 3.5cm f/3.5; Leica Summicron - M 35mm f2 Asph; Voigtlander Nokton Classic SC 40mm f1.4; Leitz Summitar 5 cm f2; Voigtlander Nokton Aspherical 50/1.5; Voigtlander Heliar Classic 75mm f1.8; Voigtlander APO Lather 90/3.5 MC; Leitz Elmar 9cm f/4; Leitz Hector 135mm f/4.5

For use with the GF1 only: Panasonic 7 - 14 - f4-22; Leica D Vario 14 - 50/3.8-5.6; Panasonic 20mm / F1.7 Asph; Voightlander Nokton 25mm f0.95; Carl Zeiss Planar f2 - 16 / 45mm T*; Carl Zeiss Jena DDR MC Biometar 80mm f2.8; Voigtlander S APO Lanthar 85mm f3.5; Carl Zeiss Sonnar f2.8 - 22 / 90mm T*; ISCO - Gottingen - Isconar 100mm f4;

The combo works, the GF1 is slim and with the EVF and focus assist I find it it to be a great camera. If they had put most of the enhancements into the GF2 that they put into the GH2 then I would most likely would have upgraded.

You definitely can achieve your goal of have two bodies using one set of lens, with a few good autofocus lens on the micro four thirds if you want. I would not rule out the Leica D Four/Thirds lens used with an adaptor on the micro 4/3rds body, the quality it excellent.

I have recently sold off a number of lenses to help pay for the M9 and will most likely trim a few more off the list as time goes by. ( . . . . . as well as add a few I'm sure)

Someone added in their 5 cents worth, I thought I would add my two cents so you now have at least 7 cents worth of advise.

Spend it wisely!

Have fun!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
WOW... many words here. What was the question again? Oh, never mind. The answer is GH2 :thumbs:
It's the best current m4/3 camera, and although you might not need the video, the price difference down to the second best isn't all that much. For compact, I would choose the E-PL2, but with the EVF, it's almost as expensive as the GH2.

Michiel Schierbeek

Bought it! They didn't have the black kit with the 14-42 lens. I said I actually don't need another kit lens, but they only sell them as kit's here. So I was very disapointed!
But he pulled a kit with the 14-140 out and said; I sell you body only and I said; now we are talking and said: in that case I buy it with the 20/1.7 :D

So I got exactly what I wanted, the impossible combi:)

Now my question is: How does the old 14-45 kitlens perform with it?
Does it focus slower (especially with video) then the new kitlens?

Remember I red somewhere the quality is of the old one is somehow better then the new kitlens.

Well I find out soon enough but the charger is still on.
Different battery then the G1 :mad: and a way to short cable on the new charger. Changed that one with the one from the G1 charger.
I noticed the cables are getting shorter each time.
Might as well stick the charger right in the plug in the future.
I guess every centimeter count when you think in millions.

For the rest I am a happy men the more so since I bought yesterday in a second hand shop a mint (glasswise) Meyer Triotar 100/2.8 for € 14,50 and a Pentax takumar 50/1.4 (was on my wishlist for a long time, but I didn't want to pay evil prices)for € 27,50

Michiel

Godfrey

I will wait for E-Ppro ( E-P3 ) hopefully to arrive this summer )
That's what I'm waiting for too. When it comes out, I'll debate between it and the E-PL2. It's a tussle between compact and pro-grade build for me.

pellicle

congratulations

Bought it! They didn't have the black kit with the 14-42 lens.

Now my question is: How does the old 14-45 kitlens perform with it?
Does it focus slower (especially with video) then the new kitlens?

Well I find out soon enough but the charger is still on.
Different battery then the G1 :mad: and a way to short cable on the new
Michiel
I've been quite pleased with how well my 14-45 does on AF during video. I can hear no traces of its focusing during video recording. I hear that the 20mm is not like that.

the battery thing is very very :eek::wtf::angry::angry:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I will wait for E-Ppro ( E-P3 ) hopefully to arrive this summer :)
Olympus' position on the pro grade m4/3 camera seems very unclear. In an interview recently (can't remember where), they stated that it's 2-3 years away, but that might be the hybrid 4/3-m4/3 camera many are dreaming about. It would be nice if there is at least a "half pro" camera this year. Still, I will probably use both Panasonic and Olympus. They seem to have different strengths.