The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Don't know if this lens is big enough for the G1

J

JoeBenjamin

Did you machine the back of that to get a normal focal distance or are you using it for macro? (I have a Rodenstock 42mm f/0.75 that has a focal plane around 6" from the lens and I don't think I could machine much off the back before I'd run into one of the inner elements.)

RichA

Did you machine the back of that to get a normal focal distance or are you using it for macro? (I have a Rodenstock 42mm f/0.75 that has a focal plane around 6" from the lens and I don't think I could machine much off the back before I'd run into one of the inner elements.)
Its focal plane was so close to the back element that it would not focus beyond about 3ft. However, the rear lens element comes out and the focus is then further out, enough for infinity. The lens is not a sharpness king and the DOF is very shallow and removing the rear element didn't seem to change the optical characteristics.

kds315

"such stuff" can be done with such a lens and some special setup... I call it "flame on"

RichA

"such stuff" can be done with such a lens and some special setup... I call it "flame on"
That's really nice looking. Here's a couple shots with the big lens, rear element in and out. Removing the rear element turns the lens into a 178mm f2.0. Also, the image is much better and you can just get infinity.