The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lensbaby

dick

I am thinking of getting...

GH2 + GF2 + 20mm f1.7, 14-140mm etc.

and have a set of Nikon lenses, 3 Sinars, etc.

As I appreciate tilt for control of the plane of sharpest focus, the Lensbaby seem an obvious accessory.

Tilt with a (pseudo) DSLR with a view finder and long lenses (with still or video) seems a good idea.

It seems that most users use to the blur out excess detail, but for a set-up shot it would be great to get the camera and subject in focus (without getting the spare Sinar and digiback out of the box). ... and it would be a novelty to be able to get cricket batsmen and bowlers in focus with my Novoflex 400mm or 640mm lenses.

The lack of a view finder on tech cameras is less of pain now that we have live view, ...but you do not always have to carry a Mac book pro, a Sinar and a heavy tripod! and you only get good MF daylight live view (without an ND filter) on a heavy, expensive Sinar.

I would need an auto adapter in addition to the lensbaby.

Diane B

It takes some practice since there are not those precise controls as on TS lens but once you get the hang of it you can tweek to your hearts content for increased perception of DOF and actually see what you are doing with both tilt and stopping down. I'm using mine with 2 used Nikkors.

Diane

dick

It takes some practice since there are not those precise controls as on TS lens but once you get the hang of it you can tweek to your hearts content for increased perception of DOF and actually see what you are doing with both tilt and stopping down. I'm using mine with 2 used Nikkors.

Diane
Thanks, Diana...

It would be nice to have a tilt scale so you could calculate and pre-set the tilt angle.

What focal lengths are you using?

Could you post some samples?

pellicle

I am thinking of getting...

GH2 + GF2 + 20mm f1.7, 14-140mm etc.

and have a set of Nikon lenses, 3 Sinars, etc.

As I appreciate tilt for control of the plane of sharpest focus, the Lensbaby seem an obvious accessory.
that or the italian made one. I missed the postoffice on Thursday so I can't get my hands on it to say more till after Easter

I'm using mine with OM lenses, but there is a Nikkor available too

dick

that or the italian made one. I missed the postoffice on Thursday so I can't get my hands on it to say more till after Easter

I'm using mine with OM lenses, but there is a Nikkor available too
Thanks - please post details - does it have a tilt scale? ... or T/S?

pellicle

Thanks - is it any better or different to the lensbaby?
Not having had my hands on either I can't say, but I will be blogging on mine when I get it, Di may choose to put information on her Lens Baby (or contact me to add that information to my blog).

as to the scales ... can't imagine a reason for them ... never used them on my TS-E lenses or felt any need for them on my 4x5 camera.

YMMV

Diane B

I don't use the scales but do think they are easier to tilt controllably since you can only tilt up or down (or sideways but its controlled in opposite directions. You control the direction by rotating the lens but then up/down or left/right swing or angled by rotating the lens). With the Lensbaby or, I expect, the Italian adapter, it moves on a ball so no up/down, etc. However once you understand what direction it needs for increased perception of DOF, how wide you want the wedge of focus by stopping down, and how just a slight move can affect the focus wedge you begin to be able to control it. The live view makes it much much easier. I do think having shot for a number of years with my EF TS 45/2.8 helped a lot.

I shot with a Nikkor 24/2.8 this evening and I'll try to find something to illustrate better
tomorrow. I also have a 35/2 that I like quite a bit with it. I think I can do most of these with the Lensbaby and the 24/2.8 but haven't tried as I've done mostly selective focus with it and the G1 but no reason I can't.

Here is my little illustrative gallery of shooting with a 45 TS mostly on a 5D. i shot increased DOF, selective Focus, probably some shifted with tilt in there too.

http://www.pbase.com/picnic/tiltshift

This was one of my first learning how to control tilt to increase the perception of DOF lying on my stomach at edge of pond. f/8 and with 1.4x converter

Last edited: