The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 - a subtle delicateness

Sapphie

There is something subtle and delicate about GH2 images, with the 14-140mm:

Lee

P.S. I know that the different aspect ratios available are 'just cropping' but they are a great compositional aid, for example to be able to compose in 4x3, 16x9 panoramic or square mode. You can even use 3x2 and pretend you have a 'normal' DSLR !!

biglouis

Lovely capture and a good idea for a thread.

I was about to post this elsewhere but I think it exemplifies what I have also experienced. I'm not used to recovering subtle sky detail from my other cameras the way I can with the GH-2. Something to do with the sensor?

My photo is not quite so pictureseque - GH-2, 20/1.7

Diane B

There is something subtle and delicate about GH2 images, with the 14-140mm:

Lee

P.S. I know that the different aspect ratios available are 'just cropping' but
they are a great compositional aid, for example to be able to compose in 4x3, 16x9 panoramic or square mode. You can even use 3x2 and pretend you have a 'normal' DSLR !!
Well, they are cropping but aren't they the same resolution regardless of aspect ratio so really you are composing and shooting as far as I'm concerned in that format. Nicely too.

Diane

dick

Is it the camera or the lens (or just the lighting/PP) that is low-contrast?

Many photographers adopt this "style" because they have not got what it takes to produce sharp images with contrast.

I think I am about to buy the GH2/14-140 (for video) - but I wonder how different it will be with my Nikon lenses?

Sapphie

Is it the camera or the lens (or just the lighting/PP) that is low-contrast?

Many photographers adopt this "style" because they have not got what it takes to produce sharp images with contrast.

I think I am about to buy the GH2/14-140 (for video) - but I wonder how different it will be with my Nikon lenses?
Hmn, maybe I was being over-zealous with the shadow recovery. Here's the first one again, all I did this time was hit 'Auto tone' in LR3 which gave it just a little more contrast that it had with the default RAW settings:

Actually, it does look better like this doesn't it?

Lee

ywen

unless you show an image captured at the same time from a reference camera, it's all in our heads.

dick

Hmn, maybe I was being over-zealous with the shadow recovery. Here's the first one again, all I did this time was hit 'Auto tone' in LR3 which gave it just a little more contrast that it had with the default RAW settings:

Actually, it does look better like this doesn't it?

Lee
Thanks...

Have you considered a polarizing filter?

Do you think that rez might have been reduced by camera shake?

I would have ordered a GH2 today if they could have got it for me for next week... I think that the small format will give good DOF with my micro-Nikkor 200 if for insects?

I find the results from my D-lux 3 OK up to A4 or A3, and thought that the GH2 would be better.

I imagine that most GH2 users do not have PS CS5, but I wonder if it would have made any difference?

Could you e-mail me the raw file? ... or would it be too big?

dick

unless you show an image captured at the same time from a reference camera, it's all in our heads.
When I get a GH2 I will try that... it will be interesting to see at what size the H4D-60 looks better.

Jonas

I think we are looking at PP technique here, be it good or bad, aiming for something subtle or made for making an impact.
How can an image this size with unknown PP tell us anything at all about a camera's capabilities?

EDIT: I forgot to say, I downloaded image #2 as I like it and opened it in Photoshop. It was very easy turning it into a whole different image with more contrast and sharpening.

dick

I think we are looking at PP technique here, be it good or bad, aiming for something subtle or made for making an impact.
How can an image this size with unknown PP tell us anything at all about a camera's capabilities?

EDIT: I forgot to say, I downloaded image #2 as I like it and opened it in Photoshop. It was very easy turning it into a whole different image with more contrast and sharpening.
Thanks - the results would, presumably have been even more different given the raw file?

ywen

subtle, delicate are subjective terms.. you can not convey what is meant by those words in the context of these images when there is no reference images to base it off of.

Jonas

Thanks - the results would, presumably have been even more different given the raw file?
Absolutely. there is a lot to work with already in the downsized JPG. Getting the raw file for better work with curves and stepped downsizing sharpening would make for an even better (or different, let's say) result.