The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 50mm or Olympus 50mm or ???

D

dennisgibson

I'm new to m43, buying an Olympus e-pl2 w/kit lens. I'm hoping to buy a Panasonic 20mm and most likely a 50mm lens. I've loved the Sigma on both Canon and Nikon and am tempted to buy in the Olympus mount. Would people recommend it over the Olympus 50mm f2?

Or...would people recommend the Sigma 30 1.4?

Thanks and I hope to be posting a lot here!

Dennis

kweide

Forget about the Sigma 30 mm f1.4 It simply do not work on E-Px cams.
The Sigma 50 f1.4 works but sloooooow on EVIL cams and needs an adapter !!!. Its creamy bokeh is special. I like it very much over the he crystal clear, clinical look of the 50 mm Zuiko macro. But it is razorsharp.
What lens to be said better ??? NONE of them. Both have different approaches. I like the Sigma 50 for creamy, dreamy artistic portrait work but the Zuiko 50 for its crystal clear look as well. Depends. I own both ....

If you have no other FT cam and do not plan to invest in FT, take the Lumix 20 mm f1.7 it is a gem, a must have lens and consider the 45 mm macro. Both lenses are made for mFT can be mounted directly without any adapter and i am sure you will enjoy it. Lots of pictures made with both lenses can be found here.

Have fun
Klaus

D

dennisgibson

Forget about the Sigma 30 mm f1.4 It simply do not work on E-Px cams.
The Sigma 50 f1.4 works but sloooooow on EVIL cams and needs an adapter !!!. Its creamy bokeh is special. I like it very much over the he crystal clear, clinical look of the 50 mm Zuiko macro. But it is razorsharp.
What lens to be said better ??? NONE of them. Both have different approaches. I like the Sigma 50 for creamy, dreamy artistic portrait work but the Zuiko 50 for its crystal clear look as well. Depends. I own both ....

If you have no other FT cam and do not plan to invest in FT, take the Lumix 20 mm f1.7 it is a gem, a must have lens and consider the 45 mm macro. Both lenses are made for mFT can be mounted directly without any adapter and i am sure you will enjoy it. Lots of pictures made with both lenses can be found here.

Have fun
Klaus
Klaus, thanks for the reply! I'd like to avoid using adapters if I could. I'm very green when it comes to mFT...when you use an adapter do you lose AF? Also, do you need an adapter for the Zuiko? I'm still trying to figure out what lenses I can use:)

I've posted a wtb on fredmiranda for a Panny 20mm but haven't had any bites yet!

Dennis

kweide

Easy. The Zuiko 50 and the Sigma 50 needs an Adapter. I use the Panasonic Adapter DMW-MA1 but you you can use the Olympus as well. Both Adapters support AF but the lenses are not build for CDAF so they work rather Slow. It is netter to invest in mFT Glass. So Best take the Lumix 20 and the Panasonic Leica 45 Makrolens.

kweide

Example with Sigma 50 mm f1.4

Olympus E-5 + Sigma 50 f1.4, no NR
ISO200 @f2, 1/second, 50 mm focal length​

kweide

Re: Sigma 50mm or Olympus 50mm or ??? a bit NSFW

another with Sigma 50 @ f1.4

Olympus E-5 + Sigma 50 f1.4, noNR
ISO400 @ f1.4, 1/200 second, 50 mm focal length​