The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 goes to St. Lucia

ggibson

I uploaded some of the pictures from my recent trip to the island of St. Lucia in the Caribbean. Here are a couple of my favorites. I have quite a few to work on, so I'll update with more later tonight maybe.

St. Lucia's famous Piton peaks (20mm):

The waterfront at a local town, Soufriere (20mm):

My wife waiting for our water taxi in Soufriere (20mm):

Hiking through the jungle below the Petit Piton (9-18mm):

ywen

wonderful pics! What was the ratio of the 20mm usage? Did you find you needed the other focal lengths quite a bit?

What was your carrying strategy? Cases, Straps etc...

I'm planning on using the GF1 exclusively for my upcoming asia trip... so far, it's 20mm + 14-42 zoom... Still a bit bulk to carry both in a case.. if it's just GF1+ 20 then I can use a small case...

ggibson

Thanks for the comments! I will upload a few more tonight.

Hmm, I'll have to check on my ratio... I think I used my 9-18mm more, although my wife likes the 20mm better! I only would take one at a time though, leaving the other in the hotel room.

For carrying, I use the neck strap that came with the GF1. I usually hang it from my neck or shoulder, sometimes sling it across my chest, or just wrap it around my wrist. I have a small case for the GF1 + 20mm, but it doesn't fit with the 9-18mm attached so I just used a gallon ziplock when we went to the beach or did some hiking.

ggibson

So I ended up with about 1/3rd shot with the 20mm and the remaining 2/3rds with the 9-18mm. Most of the days I would just attach the wide angle lens. I like the focal range and the smaller aperture isn't a problem with adequate light.

L

Lucian_rider

I hope I am not hijacking this thread but I live in St. Lucia and just wanted to comment that your pictures are great!! I'm a big fan of 4/3's and to that end I have an Olympus E-620 with the kit lenses and a 9-18 Zuiko wide zoom.

Here are some pictures I took a few months ago in the Rodney Bay area as part of a photoshoot for a Segway tour company. I have only attached a few stray shots that show more scenery rather than the tour...

CPWarner

A little off topic, but how is St. Lucia doing in it's recovery from the hurricane last fall? My understanding was that several of the resorts were badly damaged.

L

Lucian_rider

A little off topic, but how is St. Lucia doing in it's recovery from the hurricane last fall? My understanding was that several of the resorts were badly damaged.
Damage to hotels was pretty limited fortunately. I believe that the one that suffered the most damage was Ladera resort (http://www.ladera.com/) which was one of hotels where the original poster stayed. It is built along the top of a ridge and they had landslides that caused a number of balconies to be lost. Obviously they got that repaired fairly quickly and have been reopened.

Damage to the island in general was not too bad but there were a huge number of landslides and rivers washed away bridges and houses but fortunately there was not much wind damage.

I have my own forum and you can see some of the damage on a thread here: http://www.lucianriders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1155&hilit=tomas

The island has recovered fairly well but the main road over the central mountain ridge from East to West has suffered a considerable amount of damage and has been reduced to a single lane in a number of places. Work is going very slowly on getting those areas repaired.

St. Lucia is still a great holiday destination and as you have seen is a beautiful tropical island, one of the best in the Caribbean if I may say so myself... ;)

ggibson

Thanks for posting more pictures =) I like that huge yacht--one of the guests we talked with on our stay had seen that one or one like it. There was frequently at least one "posh boat" (in his words) parked in Sugar Bay every evening.

We stayed at Jalousie for 6 nights and Ladera for 3 nights after that. Damage from the hurricane had been mostly cleaned up from what we saw. Jalousie had closed all of their older villas, and was in the process of constructing new ones, but that area was mostly hidden/separate from the rest of the resort (no disruption). They had some overbookings when we stayed there, due to some hickups in their system blamed on getting back up and running after the hurricane, and we were moved to different rooms twice. They compensated us, however and all of our rooms were quite spectacular. Here's a photo from our deck at the last villa we were in:

Ladera was very nice as well, and we didn't see any signs of damage from the hurricane. The resort itself was a bit more dated and didn't offer quite the same level of comfort (somewhat expected given the open air 3-wall rooms), but for the price we expected more. The restaurant was fantastic at Ladera, maybe slightly better than Jalousie's offerings. The spectacular part of Ladera is the view from all of the rooms looks like this:

We absolutely loved St. Lucia, and would definitely go back. The rest of my pictures are here if you'd like to look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/sets/72157626638765190/

Pelao

So I ended up with about 1/3rd shot with the 20mm and the remaining 2/3rds with the 9-18mm. Most of the days I would just attach the wide angle lens. I like the focal range and the smaller aperture isn't a problem with adequate light.

Well taken, and great post work too: but I really enjoy your sense of composition. You have the eye - and you really know how to work that GF1 and your lenses.

Thank you for sharing.