The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G1 - possible to turn off EVF and LCD?

With Panasonic's G1, is it possible to turn off the electronic viewfinder and the LCD screen at the same time? And similar to my other question posted on this forum, are manual focus, manual exposure and white balance settings retained when the EVF and LCD are turned off?

pellicle

With Panasonic's G1, is it possible to turn off the electronic viewfinder and the LCD screen at the same time? And similar to my other question posted on this forum, are manual focus, manual exposure and white balance settings retained when the EVF and LCD are turned off?
assuming I've read the question right this time:

on my G1 and my GH1 the EVF goes off as soon as nothing is activating the rear sensor around the viewfinder (like my face or my shirt). The focus (manual setting), white balance chosen (and even the preset created) remain unchanged between turning rear screen on and off or subsequently checking the viewfinder.

I leave rear screen off and it displays nothing anywhere (including EVF) till I bring my face to the view finder at about 20cm from the eyepiece the EVF blinks back on. Again, none of the above settings are altered during this. I stress again that the responce I made earlier was mistaken, and only applied to power cycling the camera.

You may need to be aware of the auto-shut-off timer to make sure that the camera stays alive between intervals. In Economy I can only set it to remain alive for 10 min ... also turn off the "review" option

Hope that helps

Cool...that's a big help! Very handy that you can set the duration of the auto-shut-off timer. Likely, the longest interval time there would be inbetween frames for my time lapse photography would be one minute. So if potentially, the camera can remain 'active' for a maximum of 10 minutes before being touched, this would be more than adequate.