The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic GH2 focus assist

gebseng

a question to GH2 users:
Can you invoke focus assist/magnification when using non-AF lenses (e.g. old Zuiko lenses via an OM adapter)? how do you invoke it?
And: does focus assist/magnification only work on the backscreen, or also in the electronic viewfinder?

I appreciate your comments,

geb

Jonas

Without having tried a GH2 I can describe how to do it with a G1:
Yes it is possible, you press left arrow and then the center button. Now the image is enlarged 7x. You can go to 14x by turning the control dial one step. You go back to normal view by pressing the shutter button half way down.

It is the same for all other Panasonic cameras except that you don't need to press two buttons; one click on one button (the control dial for example) is enough.

When in the enlarged view mode the exact portion being enlarged can be moved around. One can also pick the area to enlarge before invoking the enlarged mode. This cam be done with the arrow buttons, or, on the current models, using the touch screen if so wanted.

The view is enlarged in both the viewfinder and on the LCD screen modes.

regards,

/Jonas

kds315

On a GH2 you press the wheel under the shutter button on the rear (not left arrow as on GH1). Other than that as Jonas described it.

Sapphie

Yes I think these are the same thing. On the GH2 the 'wheel', the knurled rotating 'dial' is located on the back of the camera (rather than the front on the G1), just beneath the shutter release. You don't have to touch the 4 way control. The same 'wheel' that, when in normal Aperture priority mode switches between changing AF or EV adjustment.

It is a lot easier!

Lee

gebseng

thanks for your informative input!

one more specific question: I tested the focus assist with a gh2 and the 14-42mm kit lens. In manual focus mode, as soon as you start moving the focus ring on the lens, the magnification in the viewfinder changes to 100%, which obviously allows to focus very precisely. Once you stop focussing, it automatically flips back to showing the whole image. This is great, just what I need.
However, I'd like to use my old manual OM lenses via a OM - micro four thirds adapter. But, since these old lenses have no electronic connection to the body, hwo will I tell the GH2 to switch to 100% magnification now?

thanks,

geb

Diane B

On the GF1 and G3 you can also use the "original" left 4 way button press and then the middle /OK button press (2 button press) but the one press of the rear dial makes a lot more sense to me. With the G3 you also get a PnP as one choice of MF assist but I don't think its available on GH2.