The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

Jonas

I have seen the images at IR. Now I think all this tells us is a) that Panasonic improved their JPG engine and b) the sensor can't be bad (measured with a Panny ruler).

Is there a raw converter available being able to handle the raw files?

And yes, my G1 cameras are blue. Is it time for a red G? Is raw base ISO noise lower?? Are... ???

greypilgrim

First my rant :),
How many iterations, and they still have not improved the autobracketing +/- 2/3 max still :deadhorse::loco:

And yes to the previous comments, this really seems like a GF-2 done right with viewfinder and swivel screen. Throw in better IQ, and I think it deserves consideration.

My concerns remain:

Ergonomics. How will it feel in the hand with various lenses, etc? On the flip side, how pocketable will it be with the 20mm?

Setting to manual focus easily. This is something I do often. If I have to fiddle with the touchscreen to do it now, this is a definite drawback.

Setting it to timer. Again, this is something I use reasonably often when on tripod or bean bag. If it is now cumbersome to get at...

Oh, and the reduced battery life. These were already 2 battery cameras. How much worse will it be?

As Dianne said, more intriguing than I thought...

Doug

ustein

Contributing Editor
>and they still have not improved the autobracketing +/- 2/3 max still

And the GH2 has 1EV max and that is decent combined with 7 shots.

Jonas

At first sight I got worried seeing the DOF button is gone. I take that as a sign the camera is dumbed down and mainly thought as a model for P&S users upgrading to a bigger sensor.

Then I thought it should be possible to assign one of the Fn buttons to this, or to manual focusing, or to whatever while the other Fn button can be set to 2 second timer or something else one prefers. I also notice two custom mode positions on the top control dial. Maybe it will be enough?

Maybe the WhiBal button can be re-assigned? (I have mine on Fine Weather all the time, there is always hope for some magic.) I think I need to wait for the User Manual before judging the new button layout too hard. But I do miss the exposure lock button... and...

Diane B

At first sight I got worried seeing the DOF button is gone. I take that as a sign the camera is dumbed down and mainly thought as a model for P&S users upgrading to a bigger sensor.

Then I thought it should be possible to assign one of the Fn buttons to this, or to manual focusing, or to whatever while the other Fn button can be set to 2 second timer or something else one prefers. I also notice two custom mode positions on the top control dial. Maybe it will be enough?

Maybe the WhiBal button can be re-assigned? (I have mine on Fine Weather all the time, there is always hope for some magic.) I think I need to wait for the User Manual before judging the new button layout too hard. But I do miss the exposure lock button... and...
You can use the fn1/display to reassign for I think 15 functions plus there are 2 custom buttons (with the second custom having 3 subs if I understand it) so I think we are fine. I use the AE lock on almost every shot so actually it sits under my hand better on the fn 1 button than above.

I read specs and several hands on previews fairly carefully and I'm going to buy it. There are some RAW images to DL if I recall what I read but I don't think there is a processor AFIK so not sure what that would do, but the jpegs are certainly encouraging so I'm ready to try it.

ggibson

I too see this as an alternative to the GF1/GF2, this time with a good EVF. I'd like to see a photo of the G3 with the 20mm pancake lens.
Indeed! I want to see how small this camera can really be! There's a nice size comparison here, but mostly w/o lenses:

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/panasonic_g3_rivals/

As a GF1 user, I didn't think I'd be interested in the G3, but the combination of features seems quite nice. A good video review here:

http://www.photoradar.com/reviews/buying-guides-video/panasonic-g3-video-review

greypilgrim

>and they still have not improved the autobracketing +/- 2/3 max still

And the GH2 has 1EV max and that is decent combined with 7 shots.
Actually not for the way I prefer to shoot. +/- 2 EV bracketed 3 shots; quite often I drop the middle one out of an HDR anyway. Shooting 7 shots to get two or three that I need gets problematic especially when the buffer is full and the last shot comes in much slower.

And yes, I have shot 7 shot brackets; it just is silly when this would be such a trivial fix.

Doug

greypilgrim

You can use the fn1/display to reassign for I think 15 functions plus there are 2 custom buttons (with the second custom having 3 subs if I understand it) so I think we are fine. I use the AE lock on almost every shot so actually it sits under my hand better on the fn 1 button than above.

I read specs and several hands on previews fairly carefully and I'm going to buy it. There are some RAW images to DL if I recall what I read but I don't think there is a processor AFIK so not sure what that would do, but the jpegs are certainly encouraging so I'm ready to try it.
Hopefully the reassigning will work with the multiple custom settings on the top dial. Worrisome that it might become an overload of trying to do too many things on those function buttons.

I have to go back and look at how I use the display button. I know I use it in playback quite a bit.

Doug

bcf

One thing I would like to know is: when a hot is taken, does a review image appear in the EVF, or can I continue to look at the scene in the EVF without interruption?

How in this in the G3, and how does it work in the G2, GH1, GH2, EPL-2?

ustein

Contributing Editor
Actually not for the way I prefer to shoot. +/- 2 EV bracketed 3 shots; quite often I drop the middle one out of an HDR anyway. Shooting 7 shots to get two or three that I need gets problematic especially when the buffer is full and the last shot comes in much slower.

And yes, I have shot 7 shot brackets; it just is silly when this would be such a trivial fix.

Doug
I agree it is a limitation. I just mean that I get away with the 7 shot at 1EV. 2/3EV is too limiting.

Pelao

One thing I would like to know is: when a hot is taken, does a review image appear in the EVF, or can I continue to look at the scene in the EVF without interruption?

How in this in the G3, and how does it work in the G2, GH1, GH2, EPL-2?
Hi

With my GF1, when I attach the EVF, I have the review feature tuned off so I have an uninterrupted view.

For my purposes, the main reason to review an image is to check the histogram. But given that I have a live histogram while I shoot, I have found this largely redundant except in the case of shots where the light is challenging. I simply don't need the auto-review.

Diane B

Bernard, in the G1 and GF1 which I have, show an immediate review and I see it in the EVF on both. i can set the time for the auto preview in the menus. For the GF1 you have to choose EVF or LCD since there is no eye sensor. Yes and as above, you can t on or off. i agree with him about immediate review. If I need to check an image, I go to review.

bcf

Thanks, Pelao.

Bernard, in the G1 and GF1 which I have, show an immediate review and I see it in the EVF on both. i can set the time for the auto preview in the menus. For the GF1 you have to choose EVF or LCD since there is no eye sensor. Yes and as above, you can t on or off. i agree with him about immediate review. If I need to check an image, I go to review.
Diane, I'm not sure I understand... Do you mean that for the G1, if you set the review on, you have it obligatorily in both the LCD and EVF, whereas in the GF1 you can choose?

Terry

On the G1 when you move the camera away from your eye the LCD becomes active. On the GF1 with the EVF this doesn't happen you must push a button.

On the G3 you will also have to press a button but it is in a better, more intuitive, and easier to reach location than the one on the GF1.

bcf

Thanks Terry. I guess that means that there would be no way on the G3 to automatically display a review image on the LCD (as on a DSLR), while continuing to see the scene in the EVF. I agree that the review image may be less important, since I can have a continuous histogram in the EVF.

For information, is this possible on any of the m43 cameras (showing a review image on the LCD while continuing to see the scene in the EVF)?

Diane B

On the G1 when you move the camera away from your eye the LCD becomes active. On the GF1 with the EVF this doesn't happen you must push a button.

On the G3 you will also have to press a button but it is in a better, more intuitive, and easier to reach location than the one on the GF1.
Thanks, that's what I meant LOL. i notice that I deleted one word when I edited the post.

I dislike where the switch button is on the aux. EVF for the GF1. Very awkward. The switch button on the G1 is about the same place on the G3 as the G1--to the left of the EVF. Works pretty well.

C

curious80

I like the more compact G3. With the G1 I was unable to fit the G1+20mm combo in a bag which was small enough to be "carry everywhere". The G3 might improve on that. However I am somewhat disappointed that the EVF still sticks quite a lot from the body. The larger grip on G1 was not the issue as it did not extend past the lens, so the main limitation came due to the EVF making the body much thicker than it really is. Still the overall thickness seems less and it might make a small enough package after-all.

davemillier

Diane

The switch on the GF1 EVF is much better placed than some might think. You are supposed to operate it with your right hand (just move your finger off the shutter release or use a different finger). It all makes perfectly good sense this way, unlike the Oly EVF.

I dislike where the switch button is on the aux. EVF for the GF1. Very awkward. The switch button on the G1 is about the same place on the G3 as the G1--to the left of the EVF. Works pretty well.

Diane B

I've just never cared for it and have had it since the GF1 came out. With longer fingers it probably works okay but i have to move my entire hand upward and to the left to reach it LOL. Somehow I don't think women's hands were taken into consideration even though smaller Japanese women love the GF1 but I bet they almost all use it without EVF. My hands are not particularly small.