The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

bradhusick

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g3-leaked/

"The new Panasonic G3 is going to be announced tomorrow (May 12) at 8:00 am London time. And here is the first picture! The new G3 is 25% smaller than the current Panasonic G2 (Click here to see that camera). It features a new 15.8 Megapixel sensor but unlike the GH2 sensor it is not a multiaspect sensor. It records in FullHD, has the same ultra fast autofocus of the GH2 and goes up to 6400 ISO. It takes pictures at 4 fps (frame per second) and has a 3 inch articulating LCD. The G3 is a much more touch oriented camera than the G2. The left dial is gone, the Q-button moved on the trash button (just an example on how Panasonic tried to remove as much button as possible). The G3 will be priced at $649 with kit lens. One of the biggest changes is the design. It has a bit of Samsung NX10 touch what do you think? It has the “G” mark only and not “G3″…interesting."

Last edited:

Diane B

I'm disappointed but sort of not surprised. I've held off ordering the GH2 hoping the G3 would be more an upgrade from my G1 but after the G2 it appeared that the GH2 was aimed more at "serious" shooters and the G aimed at those that want smaller at the expense of some options. Probably nothing wrong with their marketing strategy but personally not what I want. I'll still wait until tomorrow to commit to the GH2 but its sort of a done deal in my head LOL.

Diane

greypilgrim

I'm disappointed but sort of not surprised. I've held off ordering the GH2 hoping the G3 would be more an upgrade from my G1 but after the G2 it appeared that the GH2 was aimed more at "serious" shooters and the G aimed at those that want smaller at the expense of some options. Probably nothing wrong with their marketing strategy but personally not what I want. I'll still wait until tomorrow to commit to the GH2 but its sort of a done deal in my head LOL.

Diane
Diane,
So are you thinking that the removal of those external controls is an indication of a general "dumbing down" of the design?

I'm really hoping not.

Doug

Diane B

I'm really more unhappy with the 25% smaller than the G2 which is already smaller than the G1. I'm happy with the G1 size both for ergonomics and for balance with lenses. I don't mind the loss of the left top dial and am not sure how I'd like the touch screen but others do so I expect I would adapt. I do think they are pushing for "small" and wonder what may be jettisoned for that. I understand still a tilt LCD and EVF is as large and somewhat better. Guess it will depend upon if the sensor is as good as GH2 but I don't really want this body to be GF1 size which doesn't buy me anything really and means ergonomics won't be as good IMO (and I already own the GF1). Guess we'll see tomorrow.

Diane

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Diane,
So are you thinking that the removal of those external controls is an indication of a general "dumbing down" of the design?

I'm really hoping not.

Doug
Just the fact that one has to look at a menu to change a setting is a disadvantage. Although the GH1/2 etc. aren't perfect in that respect, I can change most settings on mine blindfolded. I don't think I would try that on a touch screen :(

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
And I am perfectly happy with the G1, ergonomically. If this apparent trend continues, I will buy a GH2 myself. I have held off because the G1 is so good, and because I do not need video (I have pro video and sound gear that is much easier to use).

pellicle

Just the fact that one has to look at a menu to change a setting is a disadvantage. .. I can change most settings on mine blindfolded. I don't think I would try that on a touch screen :(
this is an interesting point, and one which is spilling into other areas (or has spilled into this are from others?). The more technology is "consumerised" the dumber it gets because it chases a user group who have no idea how to use stuff and are unwilling to invest time in learning to do so.

Phones are a similar example, I can type faster with one hand (and faster again with two thumbs) on my T-9 Nokia keypad than I can on an Android or iPhone. Only when loading a numeric T-9 on an Android and (while looking at it) use both thumbs do I approach the speed and accuracy.

Back when I first got my Pentax MX I loved that I could see shutter speed, aperture and exposure information in a simple way in one location. Now my viewfinder is cluttered and I have to figure out what to focus on amid the distraction.

Still the G1 viewfinder is good ... and the locations are acceptable. But AF to MF switch needs looking at (unlike my EOS) and the plethora of buttons is ... well a whole bunch. I still like the ergonomics of the EOS 1 series of cameras for menu and function changes.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Changed my mind. Now I want one :D

For me, this is not an alternative to the GH2 but to the GF1/2. I didn't buy any of those because they lack a built in VF, and I don't want to deal with an external one. The G3 looks almost as small as the GF1, but has viewfinder, stereo mics, articulated LCD etc. very good :thumbs:

hughden

Looks good; but I wonder if some of the larger adapters for legacy lenses (e.g. for the Contax G) are going to fit under that overhang....

m3photo

Re: G3 ISO

And I am perfectly happy with the G1, ergonomically. I have held off because the G1 is so good, and because I do not need video.
So am I. Except for one thing ...

Have you seen the 3200ISO examples from the G3 on dpreview?

This one with the 20mm, hmm, yummy ...

Terry

Imaging resource does printing tests and here it seems to fare really well.....

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG3/DMCG3A.HTM

ISO 160 shots look excellent at 20x30 inches, with good color and excellent detail. One issue does emerge at this ISO, though, captured in our INB indoor incandescent shot, where our model's red hair shows some demosaicing errors, which appear as blue/gray artifacts, and don't become negligible until the image is printed at 11x14 inches. Processing RAW images on a computer does not exhibit the error, by the way.

ISO 200 shots are also excellent at 20x30, with excellent color and detail. The demosaicing error is still present, but less noticeable.

ISO 400 shots, too, look surprisingly good at 20x30 inches. There's the slightest softening, but you have to get close and squint to see it. The demosaicing error is eliminated by the noise suppression system.

ISO 800 shots finally start to show a little more softening, but we'd still call it very good at 20x30 inches. There is some very slight luminance noise in the shadows, but very little. All of this returns to impressive crispness when printed at 16x20 inches.

ISO 1,600 images print well at 16x20, though low-contrast detail in reds has begun to disappear more noticeably. This is very common, though, and high-contrast detail looks great, and there's very minor noise in the shadows.

ISO 3,200 images are quite usable at 16x20 inches, but fine detail looks a little better printed at 13x19 inches. Luminance noise in the shadows continues to increase, but it's not bad at all. Color also dims more noticeably at this setting, with a slight green cast coming into yellows, but not nearly as bad as it has on past Panasonic cameras, including the GH2.

ISO 6,400 shots seem a little blotchy when printed at 13x19 inches, though in terms of fine detail we'd still call them usable. That green shift in the yellows continues, but is still better controlled than any previous high-end Panasonic camera. Reducing print size to 11x14 minimizes the blotchiness quite well, and that's where we'll call it.

Overall, the Panasonic G3's JPEG images print amazingly well, rivaling the Canon 60D's images, and challenging any concern that Micro Four Thirds sensors would continue to lag in image quality behind their APS-C competition. While upcoming SLRs may do better, it's clear that Panasonic has met the challenge in the meantime. Very impressive!

Diane B

I'm about to eat my words saying this likely wouldn't interest me after reading several hands on previews. Red???? LOL

bradhusick

Changed my mind. Now I want one :D

For me, this is not an alternative to the GH2 but to the GF1/2. I didn't buy any of those because they lack a built in VF, and I don't want to deal with an external one. The G3 looks almost as small as the GF1, but has viewfinder, stereo mics, articulated LCD etc. very good :thumbs:
I too see this as an alternative to the GF1/GF2, this time with a good EVF. I'd like to see a photo of the G3 with the 20mm pancake lens.