The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G3: My hands-on first impressions

Pelao

This morning I visited the annual Photo and Imaging show here in Toronto, and Panasonic had a G3 on display, next to the GF2, G2 and GH2.

I played with it for about 20 minutes (I was early, and soon there was a line of potential G3 victims).

Some impressions:

1. Size.
If you imagine it without the the rear of the VF protruding, I would say the body feels similar in size to my GF1, and therefore a little larger than the GF2.

2. Build
Very solid. I think it feels more solid than the GH2, but part of that is because it is much cleaner due to fewer controls, and simply has a solid uninterrupted flow to the body design. Clearly it's very strong, and though it is light feels every bit as robust as my GF1.

3. Interface and usability
For me this is the important part, assuming of course that it can take good images.
it was good to be able to compare it to the G2 and GH2, both of which feel good, with plenty of good controls set out in a logical fashion. I held the G3 for a while, took some shots, changed settings etc, then did the same with the GH2.

On the one hand I noticed some more roominess with the GH2 right away - it's simply larger. But then, the plethora of controls encroaches upon this room. This is not a negative comment, simply an observation that on a relatively small body there are a lot of controls all around your hands on the GH2.

I then picked up the G3, and for an instant was dismayed. It is, simply, diminutive in comparison. This is a really small camera, yet it has a VF. My dismay came from the thought that I already found the GH2 borderline overcrowded (but very effective in actual use) and this little thing would be cramped - I really use camera controls a lot.

The reality is that the G3 is very well designed. When you look at pictures of the rear it seems the two Fn buttons are kind of oddly placed and might be hard to reach, especially when using the VF. In fact, your right thumb fits perfectly into place (my hands are what I would call medium) and the camera feels really natural, if different.

I changed some setting to my preferences, and took some more shots, changing settings as I did so. I had the upper Fn button as AE lock, for example. So with the VF to my eye I changed ISO, used AE lock, used the wheel for Exp Comp, and clicked it back for Aperture etc.

The wheel is smaller than on my GF1, which is a pity, but it still works very well and for me is much preferred to having two separate wheel / dial things to deal with. The ISO button was easy to feel, and then of course you use the 4-way controller or the wheel to spin up the ISO you need.

I will admit to being pleasantly surprised - though very small, the G3 really can be used efficiently and quickly, without any 'thumb or finger searching' while held to your eye. The design is well thought out.

You really have to pick it up and use it properly in order to judge for yourself, but my experience has helped me understand the positive comments of the current online previews.

4. Focus
Super fast and super accurate in really challenging light, using the kit lens. Very, very impressive. I remain delighted with my GF1 in terms of auto-focus, but this is in a different league. In numbers terms it's most certainly a small difference, in actual use, it's wow.

5. VF
Its a classic Panasonic state-of-the-art VF. If you like using a good EVF you will be happy.

6. Rear screen
No issues. Very bright. Touch works well if you like that sort of thing.

7. Menus
They have been tidied up, and the icons are larger, and a much more effective font for clarity, speeding up use considerably.

8 Shutter sound
hard to tell in a show hall, but I think softer than the GF1: I had hoped for something a lot quieter, but it's OK.

Overall

The big thing is, as always, to start with your needs and photographic outputs. If they would benefit from a small, but very competent interchangeable lens camera with a VF and swivel screen, you need to give this camera a good visit.

It's true that there are major concessions to P&S users moving up, but advanced users can be happy with the interface. It has moved on from some conventions, and part of me still would prefer some of the removed direct controls to be returned - but then it would be a larger camera. If the RAW output is solid, you would be able to use this for hiking / landscape work, wildlife with a long lens, and all your family stuff. With a pancake on board it is almost invisible, and will focus in an instant. great street camera.

As I drove home, I kept thinking that the G3 is a thoroughly modern camera, and that's where I will leave it for now.

Afterthought: I should add that while my comments are basically very positive, I would not describe myself as 'blown-away' (really irritating phrase...) by the G3 - not yet, anyway. I would need to see RAW results, and would need to see it again. But I am impressed with it, much more than I thought I would be.

I played with the camera for quite a while, and I would be happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

I hope this is vaguely useful. Please bear in mind these are my personal views, based on how I might use the G3.

Diane B

Thanks Pelao. I've been shooting for over 2 years with a G1 and I guess 18 mos with the GF1. I have shot with a 5D for over 5 years but have found myself mostly shooting with the Gs--and mostly the G1 because of the better EVF, tilt screen, ergonomics. I have decided to order the G3 expecting it to be noticeably better IQ wise than the original sensor. I went through all the changes, button deletions, etc. to feel as though I can accept them. Size has been the one issue--whether I'll find it TOO small and not comfortable to shoot. I had been expecting to buy the GH2 but really think this will be a good upgrade for me. Your report has made me think about size again but I won't know until I shoot with it, will I?? LOL. I've looked at the body profile comparison photos with a number of cameras and it seems reasonable so we'll see.

Thanks again for your hands on report.

Diane

Last edited:

Pelao

Diane

You are very welcome. I too am a 5D person who now shoots more M4/3, and also a GF1.

I did not find the G3 more cramped than the GF1, just different. There is a strong possibility I will order one - I want a good VF and a better sensor. The tilt screen is a nice addition. I am just waiting to read some reviews of RAW files.

C

curious80

Thanks Pelao for your report!. You mention that G3 is diminutive compared to the GH2 - what do you feel about its overall thickness compared to GH2? Dpreview has a side-by-side G2 vs G3 picture which seems to suggest that with the lens on, the overall package thickness hasn't changed much even though most of the body is slimmer. The comparison is at the bottom of following page:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcg3/page3.asp

Pelao

Thanks Pelao for your report!. You mention that G3 is diminutive compared to the GH2 - what do you feel about its overall thickness compared to GH2? Dpreview has a side-by-side G2 vs G3 picture which seems to suggest that with the lens on, the overall package thickness hasn't changed much even though most of the body is slimmer. The comparison is at the bottom of following page:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcg3/page3.asp
Hi

What I discovered, or maybe re-discovered today, is that photographs can be poor at showing relative scale. In the page you mention, you only detect the difference in body size if you look carefully: the G3 is thinner. In 'person' the difference feels significant.

I would also say that the overall footprint is quite dramatically different. The GH2 is not exactly a big camera: it's a model of compact, well thought out design. What makes a difference though are things such as the extensive external controls on the GH2. These really increase it's overall surface area.

Sorry if this sounds odd, but what I mean is that the G3, with it's smaller body, smooth lines and fewer protuberances, really is is much smaller overall. Perhaps like a smoothed and rounded GF1, with a VF added - but a VF that while in reality larger than the GF1 EVF, actually blends in to feel smaller.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
C

curious80

Thanks again for your response. This was helpful :) Waiting for the G3 to hit the stores so that I could try it out in person.

Diane B

I was surprised to find quite a few G3 videos on Youtube (interestingly, all the ones I've viewed have been UK origin and appear to have been filmed prior to launch). Several presenters were men and the camera looked really small in their hands. One was a woman and it seemed not so small but I couldn't get a feel of size relative to the GF1. I have both the G1 and GF1 and have been handling both tonight to see how they feel sizewise (my feeling toward the GF1 has been based more on the lack of adequate grip and lesser EVF so I almost always choose the G1 for serious shooting).

In truth if the GF1 was more ergonomically pleasing for me I'd probably prefer its size. The G3 seems that might be about that size but as Pelao says, more rounded, with a nice large EVF and tiltable LCD. I've come to terms with the button changes as I discovered how the ones important to me are implemented. I do shoot quite a lot with handheld MF lenses so I want a body reasonable to handle, not toy size. I really thought that the GH2 was the upgrade for me but other than size this seems a good choice. i won't really know how I feel about handling until I get mine. No chance there will be any available to try anywhere near to me so I'll take my chances. Price is reasonable body only and I'm sure I can resell if I hate it LOL.

peterb

Until a few weeks ago when one of the bulletin boards commented on the G3's imminent announcement I was not aware this camera was even on the horizon.

Two reviews already have come out (Imaging Resource and and Photography Blog), in short, they are nothing short of sensational rave reviews. Particularly praising the camera's new sensor that is NOT in the GH2 but seems to be a match made in heaven with its processing engine. Imaging Resource which was somewhat disappointed in the GH2's IQ when making large prints in the 20x30 range (given the fairly sizable sensor mp-wise) were absolutely astounded by the quality through ISO 800 with even ISO 1600 being none too shabby.

While I haven't held it yet, from the body shots I was a little concerned that direct input controls I liked on the GH2 had been removed. As I saw images of the G3 body and read the reviews including the wonderful commentary from the OP here a sense of re-assurance came over me that, what I would find lacking was not. And that the two well-placed custom function buttons would easily make up for what I found missing.

I also liked the more simplified mode dial finally losing all those insane icons and just leaving PASM SCN and two custom modes. Hallelujah! I HATED those stupid things on the dial.

I will miss the infra red sensor that turned off the rear LCD when you brought the camera to your face but I can work around that I think. The body while a high quality smooth plastic for the most part seems to be pretty solid with a nice grippy rubberage where its needed. And of course the articulating LCD and EVF that's still the best in their respective leagues (whatever that is) was left. Brilliant.

Finally, I'm encouraged to hear that the AF is yet even faster. Go figure.

All for what I still can't believe will be going for around $700.

While I've still been using the G1 and had been wavering over my next move. I'd already passed on the GF1 (and it's Olympian cousin) since I'd have wanted an EVF and by that time I may as well get a regular G. I'd considered the GH2 but passed when so many reviews had comments that gave me pause. I had been currently waiting for Sony's yet to be announced A77 and ITS awesome EVF, a camera that'll be cramming 24 million pixels onto its APS-C sensor allowing for some stellar enlargements (particularly when using all that lusciously superb Zeiss glassage) IF the image processing engine is up to task which I suspect it will. But that camera will be bulky and I've become quite fond of the compactness of the G's. And Sony's approach to an articulating screen, if the invisible Wonderwomanesque prototypes they've been trotting out are any indication are far from what I've come to appreciate in a rear LCD screen. Panny nailed it with the G1 and they continue to with every new iteration in their mft lineup.

Suddenly I find myself considering a new place to mount my 20mm f1.7 and pick up a 7-14 and other nice optical gems like Oly's 12-60mm.

Here are the reviews:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG3/DMCG3A.HTM

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_g3_review/

ecsh

You can now preorder the G3 on the Panansonic site, and if you are a registered member, get it for less than suggested retail.
Joe

greypilgrim

You can now preorder the G3 on the Panansonic site, and if you are a registered member, get it for less than suggested retail.
Joe
Unfortunately, it errors out if you try and preorder:

APO: Plng object MONTH, +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++, + and basic method QUOTA have been lock ed (check not possible)| APO: Internal error: Item /000010(0001)| Sales document was not changed

Doug

ecsh

With the lens. Got the confirmation email to my email address as well. Since i already had a user name and password there from some time ago, i just logged in, went to the screen for the cameras, chose the one i wanted with the lens, and added it to the cart. It gave a better price for this, and i checked out. They do not charge the card until it is ready to ship.
Joe

mach330

is it cheaper than amazon (free shipping)?

edit: nm, i signed up. looks like it's $60 compare to amazon (even with free shipping and no tax). thx for the info guys.

Last edited:

Terry

I got the ordering error as well. Went back later and the site was down for maintenance. Now my order went through. Surprised the on line prices is discounted. With the EPP plan, it is even less. Surprised this camera came at such a good price. Feeling the pressure on pricing from the EPL and Sony's.

Pelao

Thanks for the impressions! Were you able to handle it with one of the pancake lenses?
Hi

No, unfortunately I was not bright enough to being one with me (I have the 14 and 20) and the guys on the stand were very busy.

My impression s that with a pancake, it's overall dimensions will be very close to the a GF1 + pancake + EVF, but an overall smoother outline.

Personally, I do wish some of the direct manual controls present on the GF1 had been retained. I recognize though that a lot of the target market will not use such controls. In addition, the Fn buttons will handle what I need. Of course, with a built-in high resolution EVF and articulating screen this camera is much more versatile than my GF1.

Most of my shooting is in A mode, and the primary changes I make are to aperture and exposure compensation. Both of these remain accessible through the wheel as per the GF1. The AE lock button is next on my list. I would prefer it to be where it was, but I tried it with the top FN button and it worked for me. On my GF1 the AE button has a ridge to help you identify it by feel. On the G3 the ridge is not necessary as there is no other button nearby for confusion. The topmost Fn button is also slightly recessed to avoid accidental action.

One concern: it seemed to me the iA button was perfectly placed for an accidental press, and in fact this happened to me. However, I have since read that you can alter the iA button so that it requires a double-press. Perfect.

I am really looking forward to some analysis of the RAW capability, which I assume will come when Adobe update ACR.

Peterb:
You noted
The body while a high quality smooth plastic for the most part seems to be pretty solid with a nice grippy rubberage where its needed.
It does feel solid, and what I have since discovered is that the body is mostly aluminum, which accounts for the sense of solidity. The camera is light, but not shockingly so, and feels very 'tight'.

In terms of physical appearance, I gained one other impression. The G3 was sitting on a stand alongside the GF2, G2, Gh2. This may sound odd, but it is a camera that does not stand out. It is not particularly distinctive in any way. For those of you into candid and street shooting, this will be a very discreet weapon.

Godfrey

Interesting impressions, thanks for writing them up. The new sensor and other improvements sound very good.

It sounds like Panasonic is moving towards a "target market" in terms of control ergonomics that I'm not part of, though. I prefer discrete controls with customizability. Touch screen controls on cameras don't really interest me, based on what I find trying the G2 and NEX models, except in certain very specific situations.

Pelao

Interesting impressions, thanks for writing them up. The new sensor and other improvements sound very good.

It sounds like Panasonic is moving towards a "target market" in terms of control ergonomics that I'm not part of, though. I prefer discrete controls with customizability. Touch screen controls on cameras don't really interest me, based on what I find trying the G2 and NEX models, except in certain very specific situations.
I too don't see a role for touch-screen in my photography. I was very disappointed in the GF2. In fact, my idea would be G3 size, or even slightly larger, but with controls like the Canon G12: the latter even has a dial for ISO.

But, the G3 is no GF2. It does retain much direct control. This is of course a very personal thing, and I will have to play with it again to see if it truly works for me. First impressions were good.